Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know of a 17" ~ET35 wheel that'll clear a 996 brake setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know of a 17" ~ET35 wheel that'll clear a 996 brake setup?

Or just close to ET35.

Trying to move away from ET25s up front, but struggling in 17" to find anything that'll work. Bought a set of Apex ARC8 17x9.5 ET35s, but they don't clear the brakes.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

The barrel or the spokes?

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
      The barrel or the spokes?
      Both.

The ARC8 17x10 ET25 clears both, but I don't want that much front offset.

The ARC8 17x9.5 ET35 clears the barrel, but not the spoke, but has my ideal offset.

Looking for any (light) wheel that clears both, but is less aggressively offset.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

Both.

The ARC8 17x10 ET25 clears both, but I don't want that much front offset.

The ARC8 17x9.5 ET35 clears the barrel, but not the spoke, but has my ideal offset.

Looking for any (light) wheel that clears both, but is less aggressively offset.
        What about the EC-7R 17" 9.5 ET35? - https://www.apexraceparts.com/store/...bmw-wheel.html

Those should clear both the barrel and spoke
        Last edited by Slideways; 07-05-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

What about the EC-7R 17" 9.5 ET35? - https://www.apexraceparts.com/store/...bmw-wheel.html

Those should clear both the barrel and spoke
          Hmm. Surprised apex didn’t mention these to me!

A little heavy at 18.5 lbs, but likely the route I’ll go if nothing lighter comes up.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Titan-7 makes a 17x9.5" et35 wheel (they list it under E36 M3 application). Spoke design looks caliper-friendly.

WHEEL DESCRIPTION TITAN 7 T-S5 is a fully forged wheel designed completely with performance in mind. Pressurized with 10,000 TONS of industry leading pressure to give you a wheel that is incredibly strong while giving you all of the performance attributes you need in a track focused wheel. Upon close inspection you wil
            '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
              Titan-7 makes a 17x9.5" et35 wheel (they list it under E36 M3 application). Spoke design looks caliper-friendly.

https://titan-7.com/collections/whee...33593155354712
              16.5 lbs. Now we’re talking 😎

I’ll call them tomorrow to see if it clears the brakes. Sadly the barrel is also a battle, with 17s and larger than stock rotors.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Thanks for looking into this Ian, I was hoping the 17x9.5 would clear.
                RIP M3F
                2002 M3 - 2002 325iT - 1994 Bronco

Comment

16.5 lbs. Now we’re talking 😎

I’ll call them tomorrow to see if it clears the brakes. Sadly the barrel is also a battle, with 17s and larger than stock rotors.
                  Did you ever try these or the EC-7Rs over your 996 setup? Also, do you find that tire availability or sizing is more difficult with 17s vs 18s? I’m looking for a track wheel setup as well, stuck between 17 and 18” square options.

Comment

Originally posted by repoman89 View Post

Did you ever try these or the EC-7Rs over your 996 setup? Also, do you find that tire availability or sizing is more difficult with 17s vs 18s? I’m looking for a track wheel setup as well, stuck between 17 and 18” square options.
                    There's vastly more tire options for 18" than 17", annoyingly. That said, you only need one option you like.

I'm currently on 18s, because I wanted to run the PSC2 Connects.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

There's vastly more tire options for 18" than 17", annoyingly. That said, you only need one option you like.

I'm currently on 18s, because I wanted to run the PSC2 Connects.
                      That’s the impression I got doing a couple brief searches. Definitely pushes me in the direction of 18s just to have the option to try different tires and formulate a preference, despite the increased costs and weight.

Comment

What made.you wanna go to 17s? Isn't the weight difference from 18s minimal after tires?

Comment

Originally posted by Cronenberged View Post
                          What made.you wanna go to 17s? Isn't the weight difference from 18s minimal after tires?
                          I run 17s because tires are cheaper and tires are the biggest consumable cost. You might save 1 lb per corner, so performance is about the same. I'd love to run a 9.5 wheel w/o spacers so I can run 255/40R17s to save more money. Need a 17x9.5 et 27 to 30 wheel.
                          Last edited by bigjae46; 08-21-2021, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

I run 17s because tires are cheaper and tires are the biggest consumable cost. You might save 1 lb per corner, so performance is about the same. I'd love to run a 9.5 wheel w/o spacers so I can run 255/40R17s to save more money. Need a 17x9.5 et 27 to 30 wheel.
                            I agree I've looked and wouldn't mind 17s to lower the cost of tires. Finding one that ideally lowers the weight more than an 18" and has the a lot of clearance for aftermarket brakes is difficult combo to find. The Titans look promising though, anyone have experience with them?

Comment

Has anyone found more 17" options? Im looking for at et of around 30 also but coming up empty.

Comment

Working...
                              X