Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing Race Seats Sucks...idea to make it suck less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Race Seats Sucks...idea to make it suck less?

Does anyone use a stud for the inboard bolt holes to bolt the seat to the side mount? That would be much easier.

I was thinking about using a class 10.9 stud, thread it into the seat with loctite and then just use a nut for the inboard side. Just slide it in and then bolt up the outboard mount.

Interesting thought. Interested to hear how it works out if you go that route.

Comment

Man, hearing this I'm so glad I went with the Brey Krause mounts that reuse the stock sliders. Basically as stiff as bolted straight to the floor, and it has enough adjustment in height to go lower than I ever want

Comment

Originally posted by timmo View Post
        Man, hearing this I'm so glad I went with the Brey Krause mounts that reuse the stock sliders. Basically as stiff as bolted straight to the floor, and it has enough adjustment in height to go lower than I ever want
        I don’t use sliders which would make installation easier and are also a failure point.

My seats are bolted to the side mounts which are bolted to home made floor mounts which are way better than what’s available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

BK also makes mounts that bolt directly to the seat and floor.

That said, I don't see any issue with putting a stud in one of the factory bolt holes.

Slides make it easier for sure, though. I put my track tires in the back seat by removing the front passenger seat (on factory manual sliders, using the BK OE slider mounts), and it takes me ~2 minutes to remove or install the seat. Slide seat back, undo front nuts, slide seat forward, undo rear bolts, tilt seat to unplug seat harness, remove seat from car. Assembly is opposite of disassembly.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Here's the shopping list. Should be here Thu. I hope to have a report back by Sun.

Class 10.9 M8x1.25 studs (50mm long)

Class 10 M8x1.25 nuts

Class 10.9 washers

The studs might be a tad long but that's all I can get. Might have to cut them.

Comment

After fiddling for an hour a week ago…I screw the studs in, slide in the seat and had it installed in 10 minutes. This is one of my most brilliant ideas!

The studs are 50mm long. Probably only need to be between 25mm to 37mm long. I put loctite on the studs.

I’ll shorten the studs later on which will make the even easier to install.

One challenge is OMP puts the nutserts in further back than my Sabelt seat so my seating position is too close.

Now I need to make longer floor mounts so I can move the seat back 3”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Follow up. Tried shorter studs which didn't work. The 50mm studs make installing the seat MUCH easier. I might pull the fabric off screw in a stud.

Comment

Working...
                X