Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Former RE-71r Lovers--What Have You Switched To?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Former RE-71r Lovers--What Have You Switched To?

Hey Guys,

I loved the RE-71r's. They were consistent, had good wear, and I came back to them over and over.

As most of us know, they have been discontinued and are impossible to find in the size I am looking for. 275/35/18

If you were a former Re-71r lover, what have you switched to? I ordered a set of R888r's that I am going to try out here in a week or so, but because I was such a happy customer with the Bridgestone's, I just haven't really tracked anything else. I drive to and from the track only. Also, it is really damn hard to find tires right now. Any recommendations and thoughts are appreciated.

2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

I hated RE-71Rs (lasted me 1.5 events before they were puddles).

That said, I've really enjoyed NT-01s and PSC2s.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
    2012 LMB/Black 128i
    2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Switched to RS4. Ive noticed the grip stays more consistent throughout a session.

Hiwever with the RE71 I get faster laps early on in a session.

Want to try the Nittos next.

Comment

I was wondering what happens to those tires
        I really enjoyed them on the track

I’m in search of new ones as well

Might want to check summit racing I think they had a few in stock last time I checked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Trofeo R's have been amazing. Need a couple laps to get to temp but they are great thee after
          2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
          2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
          2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

After running RE-71s for several years for track days and autocross I switched to Yokohama A052s last year when the Stones were discontinued. The Yoks work well but wore very quickly especially at track events. They were more consistent than the RE-71s as in didn't get greasy after several laps. The sidewall is softer and turn in response isn't as sharp but longitudinal grip was better. Due primarily to wear rate and cost I switched to the Falken RT-660 which are $300 a set less than the Yoks. I had to wait several months to get them and just did the first autocross on them last Sunday.

For autocross I found the grip to be at least as good as the RE-71 and seemed to put down power better. The sidewall is as stiff as the RE-71 and is very responsive, a feature I loved about the RE-71. However, on the street it is as loud ( basically same tread design) and harsh as the Bridgestone. The A052 is more street friendly and absorbs impacts better - not surprising given the softer sidewall. I haven't done a track event on them yet but expect them to be at least as good as the RE-71 but hopefully without getting greasy as the session goes on. Will update after getting them on track but not sure if that will be this fall. At this point they seem like a lot of bang for the buck.

Comment

Originally posted by SG/IRM3 View Post
              After running RE-71s for several years for track days and autocross I switched to Yokohama A052s last year when the Stones were discontinued. The Yoks work well but wore very quickly especially at track events. They were more consistent than the RE-71s as in didn't get greasy after several laps. The sidewall is softer and turn in response isn't as sharp but longitudinal grip was better. Due primarily to wear rate and cost I switched to the Falken RT-660 which are $300 a set less than the Yoks. I had to wait several months to get them and just did the first autocross on them last Sunday.

For autocross I found the grip to be at least as good as the RE-71 and seemed to put down power better. The sidewall is as stiff as the RE-71 and is very responsive, a feature I loved about the RE-71. However, on the street it is as loud ( basically same tread design) and harsh as the Bridgestone. The A052 is more street friendly and absorbs impacts better - not surprising given the softer sidewall. I haven't done a track event on them yet but expect them to be at least as good as the RE-71 but hopefully without getting greasy as the session goes on. Will update after getting them on track but not sure if that will be this fall. At this point they seem like a lot of bang for the buck.
              I rolled into RT-660s after Bridgestone decided we didn't need RE-71Rs any more. RT660s have a very bad habit of picking up and retaining tire clag from the track. If you are on track in an event shared with Club Racing - forget it! The tire clag pickup totally sucks. The result is when you have steering in approaching and after apex - the rumble from tires is absolutely awful. Its like being on square Flintstone tires. It a huge distraction and kills off most of your confidence to roll into throttle while they are rumbling like that. The rumble is the tire clag rolling across the face of the tire from one side to the other.

The warmer the ambient temps - the heavier the clag pickup and retention.

Comment

This should be helpful here:

'02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
                many others

Comment

I’ve decided to run
                  PS4’s

Get another set of wheels
                  And run Hoosiers A7’s for track days

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
                    I’ve decided to run
                    PS4’s

Get another set of wheels
                    And run Hoosiers A7’s for track days

You want R7s, not A7s, for track days.

A7s are for autox and will overheat after 1-2 laps on track.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                    2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Actually A7’s last quite a while

They say it’s an Auto X tire

But you would be surprised

They are perfect for track days

Comment

Originally posted by Stack View Post
                        Actually A7’s last quite a while

They say it’s an Auto X tire

But you would be surprised

They are perfect for track days

I ran A7s with rain grooves cut into them as rain tires on my CM e36 M3. When the track dried out, they would overheat pretty quickly— and that was on a 2350 lb car.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                        2012 LMB/Black 128i

Comment

Working...
                        X