Wheel choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel choices

I have run Arc-8's and D-force in the past. I have seen a few on track d-force failures but never had one happen to me. I am in need of a new set of track wheels and wondering what everyone is running? I have the 996 Brembo brakes on the car so 18's I think are a must?

What's the current preferred track/race wheel?

Most popular are APEX. My choice would be a made in Japan, forged wheel such as VOLKs (TE-37). My guess is heat cycling cast spoke wheels, such as Arc-8s and D-force, will need more frequent replacement than forged wheels.

Comment

I run the Bimmerworld TA16 (https://www.bimmerworld.com/Wheels-Tires/Wheels/) forged wheels. Even tested them with a few broken studs at Mid-Ohio two years ago. They bent when the left rear studs failed, but the forged wheels did not break.

Feff
      MVP Track Time

Comment

As someone who recently went through wheel shopping myself, I would first consider whether you want to go forged ($$) or stick to flow-formed wheels. I would let your expectations for use/longevity dictate that decision. It's worth noting that a forged wheel is not necessarily stronger than a flow-formed wheel (it depends on the actual design), but from what I've heard anecdotally they typically deform instead of failing catastrophically when overloaded.

If you stick to flow-formed, it's hard to beat Apex. They are popular for a reason; strong-ish, reasonably lightweight wheels at a good price. They have 6 different designs currently, and they all look nice. I ended up going with a set of SM-10's myself. Bimmerworld has a new flow-formed design (TA5R) that is pretty good, too. Rogue Engineering recently got into wheels, but I didn't like their designs. I looked at common aftermarket wheel manufacturers like Enkei and Forgestar too, but they tended to be either heavier or lower load rating (or both) than Apex, so I did not consider them seriously.

If you go forged, your options are more limited if you don't want to spend ridiculous amounts of money. The Bimmerworld TA16 is pretty well regarded, Titan7 has some affordable options that are crazy lightweight (but not as strong). Apex has a couple forged designs as well. That's about it for <$3K forged wheel sets.
        Last edited by JustAWhisper; 10-23-2021, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
          I run the Bimmerworld TA16 (https://www.bimmerworld.com/Wheels-Tires/Wheels/) forged wheels. Even tested them with a few broken studs at Mid-Ohio two years ago. They bent when the left rear studs failed, but the forged wheels did not break.

Feff
          This is probably how I'm going for next year.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
            This is probably how I'm going for next year.
            The forged TA16 are light too.
            MVP Track Time

Comment

Working...
            X