Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood Track Spec Mount Locations

Hello,
    I am about to walk outside and start sawing up my hood, so I figured I would take a step back and ask for some advice first. I purchased a set of the side track spec vents for the M3. Does anyone have a measurement reference point for your mounting location? Any tips on cutting the hood that you wish you had known before hand? Did an aftermarket product interfere with the mounting location? Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Winston

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

I don’t have anything on measurements…I think I just took a tape measure and painters tape and positioned them the best I could. I used the N15 Design vents. They allow for a little wiggle room when cutting the hood but you need to get the attachment points (rivets) pretty spot on. As far as cutting, I used reinforced Dremel cutting discs and they worked great.
    Attached Files

Comment

Just cut twice and measure once...lol.

If you still really care about the paint...use painter's tape and slightly undercut the hole. Then use a sanding block and a file to finish the edges. If you use a dremel or grinder right on the line then the paint will get hot and bubble. Then it might be visible when you install the vent.

Comment

I highly recommend Race Louvers but even if you didn't buy their product, you can still use their install guide.

Wind tunnel tested hybrid hood vents and heat extractors - Installation instructions. Maximum cooling and downforce.

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedRyno828 View Post
          I highly recommend Race Louvers but even if you didn't buy their product, you can still use their install guide.

https://racelouvers.com/instructions/
          AJ Hartman did a windtunnel with his style louvers as well as the race louvers style. Surprisingly the race louvers did better then the others he tested. I think he stopped offering his afterwards.
          2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
          2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
          2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

https://racelouvers.com/instructions/
            Damnit guys now you have me deep into their website and reconsidering my purchase. The Race Louvers performance looks impressive.

2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
            [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Believe they also offer 10% off if you’re a nasa member.

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
              2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by SandeepM3 View Post

AJ Hartman did a windtunnel with his style louvers as well as the race louvers style. Surprisingly the race louvers did better then the others he tested. I think he stopped offering his afterwards.
                Is it really surprising that something designed in a wind tunnel out performed ones that were not?

Comment

Is it really surprising that something designed in a wind tunnel out performed ones that were not?
                  They weren't designed in a windtunnel. They have just been tested in a windtunnel. Some of the styles Aj tested have been wind tunnel tested also. Some test better, that's the point. What surprised me is the more crude just straight cuts and fold design is better then the cleaner closed off edges design.
                  2003.5 Titanium Silver / Black 6M/T (Gone)
                  2003.5 Carbon Black / Laguna Seca Blue SMG (Dusted)
                  2004 Carbon Black / Black SMG converted to 6M/T(Current)

Comment

Working...
                  X