Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Suspension Outer Bushings/Ball joints

Hey Guys,

Was doing an after track inspection and noticed a tear on the boot of of the upper outer rear ball joint (connecting upper control arm to top of upright). Was curious if anyone had any opinion on upgraded poly vs solid for replacing both the upper and lower outer bushings?

Seems like the options are:

Roque for solid

Powerflex for poly

For awareness, i have a mixed bag of bushings in the rear that seem to do well for all tracks nearby me, including Sebring (the bearing punisher) that caused some damaged when i ran solid diff bushings: solid subframe, poly diff, monoball rtab, solid upper inner, TMS rod end camber arms.

They're bearings, not bushings.

There is no upgrade afaik since they're already spherical bearings.

As far as I can tell, RE is lying in their description. Their sales pitch would make sense if the outer joint were a rubber bushing.

Companies are happy to make and sell more products. The existence of an aftermarket product does not mean it's an upgrade.

The factory inner bushings ARE rubber, and may (should?) provide for less deflection if replaced with spherical.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

New OE, as stated they are already bearings. Not uncommon to see these develop significant play if they’ve never been replaced. IMO a necessary item when going through the suspension.

Also, poly is never the answer, especially with anything that has any sort of articulation or movement.

Comment

Originally posted by BBRTuning View Post
        New OE, as stated they are already bearings. Not uncommon to see these develop significant play if they’ve never been replaced. IMO a necessary item when going through the suspension.

Also, poly is never the answer, especially with anything that has any sort of articulation or movement.
        Gold right here. OP if you have more than 80k miles and the car was used for anything more than grocery store trips, I would inspect and plan to replace them as they are more than likely shot. Job isnt bad and the ride quality and handling will improve immensely.
        2003 E46 M3 TiAg/Cinnamon 6MT
        2005 E46 330i ZHP Imola/Sand

| Karbonius | Schrick | Supertech | Volk | Recaro | FCM | SuperSprint | Turner | Hyperco | GC | PFC | VAC | OMP | Radium Engineering | MPRacing |

Instagram:@thegenius46m

NorCal DME Programming and Coding Expert

Comment

replaced mine with OEM after 85k miles. The car wasnt tracked just lowered. 1 was seized one, one was completed torn and 1 had a ton of play in it.

Luckily the parts are cheap and now with the tool I have (Scwhaben) it makes replacing them cake.

Comment

Working...
          X