Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone running no fan at all on track car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone running no fan at all on track car?

I removed the mechanical fan a couple years back and have had no issues with temps in the paddock but am now thinking about pulling the A/C and the aux fan along with it. Is anyone running no cooling fan at all? if so any problem with temps around the paddock?

I’m interested in other opinions as well. I have pulled my AC and remove the mechanical fan several years ago. I can’t think of ever hearing that Aux fan running and I’ve run on some pretty hot days.

Comment

The only race cars (not including formula cars) that I have known not to run any cooling fan was the last years of Super Touring. But those cars was quite extreme in many ways.
      On most cars I've driven on track or raced the fan is running at some point. They help keeping the temperature a bit more stable by providing extra cooling just when it's needed.
      And most of all, it's pain not have kind of backup if getting stuck in line up or a very slow in lap due to a red flag.

Comment

I don't run a fan. I did run a big boy SPAL fan for awhile, it sounded like a prop jet. It was great for cooling the car down in the paddock. But I had higher coolant temps on track with the fan which I'd typically turn off (unless I forgot).

I've removed the AC and heater core and installed the expansion tank in the drug bin. My coolant temps were around 180-185 on track with the fan. I'm at 170ish without the fan. I do have to take a cool down lap or at least a cool down lap in the paddock.

But as long as I'm moving water temps stay in check.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
          I don't run a fan. I did run a big boy SPAL fan for awhile, it sounded like a prop jet. It was great for cooling the car down in the paddock. But I had higher coolant temps on track with the fan which I'd typically turn off (unless I forgot).

I've removed the AC and heater core and installed the expansion tank in the drug bin. My coolant temps were around 180-185 on track with the fan. I'm at 170ish without the fan. I do have to take a cool down lap or at least a cool down lap in the paddock.

Thats what I needed to hear! thank you for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

second this

Comment

Working...
            X