Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace the OE Instrument Cluster with AiM dash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace the OE Instrument Cluster with AiM dash?

Been thinking about replacing the OE instrument cluster with an AiM MXM or MXG. Probably an MXG. I’ve seen setups where the dash is installed in front of the OE cluster. I want to replace it.

The AiM dashes can display a check engine light. I think it can display ABS and EML related faults but need to do more research. Anyone have any experience?

The last piece of the puzzle is vehicle mileage. Not critical but I would like to maintain the odometer. Is that tracked by the ECU or the instrument cluster?

Otherwise, don’t really use any other non-generic functions in the cluster. No DSC, turn signals, sport mode, M mode, lights and most of the warning lights have been taped over.

I run a MXP dash on it's own and there's not many things I miss about the OE dash.

You kinda learn to program warnings for the things you care about the most, like temps, oil pressure, gas levels, etc. I've also built a habit of checking the OBD codes after every day to see if any new errors have come up.

Regarding the mileage, the MXP has counters you can label for whatever you want to try by hours and mileage. I have set one to mileage then the others for fluids like oil/trans/diff/brake that you can reset independently.

The MXM/MXG may have more features since it's more a full dash replacement, so some additional research would be wise. Or better yet, reach out to you local AIM shop or Peter himself and bug them with questions before dropping the dough on a the dash.
    2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
    2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
      I run a MXP dash on it's own and there's not many things I miss about the OE dash.

You kinda learn to program warnings for the things you care about the most, like temps, oil pressure, gas levels, etc. I've also built a habit of checking the OBD codes after every day to see if any new errors have come up.

Regarding the mileage, the MXP has counters you can label for whatever you want to try by hours and mileage. I have set one to mileage then the others for fluids like oil/trans/diff/brake that you can reset independently.

The MXM/MXG may have more features since it's more a full dash replacement, so some additional research would be wise. Or better yet, reach out to you local AIM shop or Peter himself and bug them with questions before dropping the dough on a the dash.
      Thanks! If I’m understanding your setup correctly, you removed the OE instrument cluster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by bigjae46; 03-06-2022, 07:58 PM.

Comment

That's right... the whole dash and cluster is entirely removed.
        2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
        2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

I was looking at the AEM CD5 and CD7. CD5 is too small and CD7 might not fit where intrument cluster is. MXG is big and will fit just right. Will be ordering soon

Comment

I had the MXG in a my previous E92 track/race car and although it was awesome, it was a bit too big.

MXS or MXP is what you want, and you can chose to eliminate the cluster and mount it in the factory location, or keep your cluster and mount it in front on the steering column using something like this: https://www.moreheadspeedworks.com/p...nting-bracket/
            Last edited by AP3X_FTW; 04-19-2022, 09:26 PM.

Comment

bigjae46 I like your style. It sounds like you may be building the same car I am currently for the same reasons. I run AIM equipment currently, but have looked outside the AIM box for my dash display. IMHO, AIM technology is 5-6 years back with their displays. Some of the other products in their ecosystem have been updated (PDM), but the Smartycam is still 30fps etc. which is kind of disappointing. I have also looked at the Motec displays and AEM displays. There is actually some video of Mike Skeen running a sequential trans E46 M3 around VIR which is fun to watch and features a Motec display.
              2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
              [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
                bigjae46 I like your style. It sounds like you may be building the same car I am currently for the same reasons. I run AIM equipment currently, but have looked outside the AIM box for my dash display. IMHO, AIM technology is 5-6 years back with their displays. Some of the other products in their ecosystem have been updated (PDM), but the Smartycam is still 30fps etc. which is kind of disappointing. I have also looked at the Motec displays and AEM displays. There is actually some video of Mike Skeen running a sequential trans E46 M3 around VIR which is fun to watch and features a Motec display.
                I’ve only used AiM. I know there has to be better stuff out there. But I’m used to analyzing data with AiM software.

Ultimately I want to ditch the OE dash, data logger and add brake pressure data logging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i ended up going with an AIM MXP. will post a pic when its installed.
                  Last edited by Jevi Javi; 04-26-2022, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

How did you get oil pressure and fuel level to work? Apparently these are add-ons
                    I was searching online and found fuel level kits and oil pressure kits from Moreheadspeedworks and AdvancedAutoFab. Wondering if anybody has experience with these?

Comment

bigjae46 and @jevijavi Did you ever get anything installed? I am going down this path as well and would love to see pics. My concerns primarily deal with finding the right bezel. Now that AIM has released a new SmartyCam, the whole setup has become more attractive then my Solo 2 and Garmin. Hope everything is going well for y'all.
                      2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                      [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh1179 View Post
                        bigjae46 and @jevijavi Did you ever get anything installed? I am going down this path as well and would love to see pics. My concerns primarily deal with finding the right bezel. Now that AIM has released a new SmartyCam, the whole setup has become more attractive then my Solo 2 and Garmin. Hope everything is going well for y'all.
                        I have not. Not a high priority. I'm pretty sure I am going to do the MXM probably next winter.

I'm planning to re-do my roll cage with 1.50dia x .095 wall tubing after I take out another 100lbs so I can meet NASA and BMWCCA rules. And also relocate the ECU for better weight distribution.

Comment

Working...
                        X