Aero Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aero Recommendations

I am looking for some recommendations for some aero additions in preparation for next track season. I have plateaued on my lap times at VIR and am looking to make some changes to the car, along with some coaching. I currently have the Bimmerworld diffuser because I wanted to save some weight with their exhaust. I am not attached to either...I know that the recommendation I see the most is AJ Hartman's wing. What wing/diffuser/splitter/air dam?/side skirts?/canards? do you run and are you happy with your setup? Thank you.
    2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
    [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

I made my own carbon front splitter - 6" protrusion from bumper. I use a $130 front riser from Amazon. Rear wing is also an el cheapo NRG Innovations 69" wing.

IMO...I think it's important to be able to drive the car at least close to its limit before putting aero on. It will be hard to determine what works and what doesn't. I usually take about 3-4 events after a change to verify if it works.

I had a wing and 4" plywood splitter - that understeered. Went to a 6" plywood splitter - neutral. Then a 6" carbon splitter moved the balance to oversteer AND it scraped everywhere. I added some ride height and slightly stiffer front springs - still a little oversteery.

Now...I installed a gurney flap and larger end plates and its back to understeer. You'd never know until you try to overstep the limits of the car. So far everything has worked as expected...just don't know how much it will work. I know I can do CFD but...probably cheaper just to installed it and then figure it out.

I'm going to install some front tire blockers and end plates on the splitter to hopefully get the car back to neutral.

Most like understeer because its safe so I'd throw on a big rear wing and keep upgrading the front splitter - longer, tunnels, end plates, and/or canards.

Comment

I struggle to justify the pricey AJ hartman stuff. My car runs a plywood splitter and a 9lives rear wing which is a very cost effective setup. The splitter was built to maximize the nasa rule set and I played with the rear wing to get a neutral balance at most tracks. Is there a better setup? Likely, but we are chasing tenths of a second at that point (if that).

Comment

Originally posted by lcrain View Post
        I struggle to justify the pricey AJ hartman stuff. My car runs a plywood splitter and a 9lives rear wing which is a very cost effective setup. The splitter was built to maximize the nasa rule set and I played with the rear wing to get a neutral balance at most tracks. Is there a better setup? Likely, but we are chasing tenths of a second at that point (if that).
        What class do you run?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

What class do you run?
          TT/ST3. Car was built for GTS3 but no one really runs that in Texas anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by lcrain View Post

TT/ST3. Car was built for GTS3 but no one really runs that in Texas anymore.
            Is this Lawson?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Is this Lawson?
              Yes.

Comment

Working...
              X