Mounting Front Tire Temp Sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting Front Tire Temp Sensors

We preordered some IR tire temp sensors from Autosport Labs. Trying to think through the install right now. Ideally you'd want to mount them to something that turns with the wheel. Has anyone mounted these sensors to an e46?

I know it's overkill for hpde but we like looking at data pretending we're an F1 team.

I have a few friends that have consulted me on whether they should install these. Data is cool (I'm an engineer) but even data on a race car can be misleading or overwhelming if not interpreted correctly. I don't know if there is any useful information you will gain from this other than the very pretty color diagrams that it creates. If you do decide to mount, assuming its external, you need to be very careful its in a location that won't get crushed over a curb strike or on max lock to lock steering. Also if its external and rotates with the wheel its only a matter of a few seconds before you've run over your very expensive sensors.

Just a quick thought on why this data is hard to interpret. If you don't have tire data from the manufacturer on the operating temps of these tires and corresponding rates/coefficients and other worthwhile data points then the data you'll collect can't be applied. Tire temps and wear after each session is plenty to dial in your alignment settings and is what most race teams use. The one active temp sensor that I could see some real value in is the rotor temp. The data for braking systems is much more widely published and it would be nice to see if you are over-cooling the brakes or if you need to add some cooling.

Comment

Working...
    X