Anyone use Genesis temp paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use Genesis temp paint?

Thoughts? Accuracy? I haven't confirmed the color change stages, was going to run a test by painting a piece of Al and holding up a torch to it.

Ran on track and seems like rotors got to top of range, while hats didn't budge (although that red color range is like 800 degrees). Getting some caliper strips (Alcon/Wilwood) to see how hot the hats actually get (they have some for 200-500 degree range).

Anyone with experience/feedback?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

I have never used it but I heard if you get red on the rotor hat it means you drive like an old lady...LOL...

Where did you get this stuff? I might give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      I have never used it but I heard if you get red on the rotor hat it means you drive like an old lady...LOL...

Where did you get this stuff? I might give it a go.
      Ha, the range for that shade of red is up to around 800 degrees, so it's not small, but for an alu hat with cooling ducts (I'm trying the Vorshlag deflector plates instead of the flex hose setup) I think I'll take old lady and see note below on hat design.
      Outer ring seems like it got good way north of 1400. Depends on accuracy of this thing, of course. I do run Ti backing plates but I still got soft-ish pedal toward end of running around 40mins on open day (600 fluid, but wanted to use up only few mm left on pads, so with newer pads it would not be a problem - was ok trackday before with new pads). Part of it is due to the design of the "semi floating" CSL rotor, it's just not built for efficient air circulation, but the hat catches a lot of cool air from Vorshlag deflector. See pic below, the air gap between rotor surfaces is small to begin with, and the inner design of the hat actually captures and blocks most of the air from moving through the veins. Sigh.
      Decided to do some more "scientific" testing on the 996 setup.

I've seen them on Pegasus, but got mine from Amazon. Genesis Brake Temp Paint - 1 fl. oz. https://a.co/d/dPaGzEx

I'll also try these on the hat to get better picture of the range it gets to https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?RecID=32053

Last edited by mrgizmo04; 02-03-2023, 08:53 AM.
      Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Does this paint reset to original color after a high temp exposure?

Comment

Originally posted by Estoril View Post
          Does this paint reset to original color after a high temp exposure?
          No it records a peak reached. But you can keep repainting even through the spokes, so easy application. Needs like 15mins to dry.

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
            No it records a peak reached. But you can keep repainting even through the spokes, so easy application. Needs like 15mins to dry.

Thanks. I think I'll stick with my IR thermometer for now. I know it's cooldown limitations and I prefer it's specificity. I use temp stickers on calipers sometimes.

Comment

I bought a whole Genesis paint kit with varied colors for heat ranges and used it years ago to confirm what the rotor temp ranges were. Using it we discovered I had too much brake cooling for my light car @ VIR and the rotors were not getting hot enough. The cooling was having detrimental effects causing the rotors to crack prematurely. It was helpful using it to confirm this and find the path of blocking off the brake ducts to solve the issue. Rotors last all season now instead of 4 weekends.
              Last edited by Mpassioned; 01-23-2024, 06:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X