SMG Clutch for Dedicated Track Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMG Clutch for Dedicated Track Car

I’m going to ask this in the track for him because I’m interested in specific track applications. I have a 2003 M3 with 41,000 miles. It’s a dedicated track car. I’m guessing around 15,000 of those miles are track miles. I bought the car with 26,000 miles and did not drive it on the road.

A few months ago, while on track, I was starting to get grinding when shifting into fourth gear at high speed. I suspected even sensing a little bit of crunchiness with third gear a while back. I was dialing back the SMG setting as people recommend in order to avoid this, but it has eventually caught up with me.

In any case, I ordered a rebuilt transmission from Metric Mechanic. They do some machining to internal components apparently to alleviate issues with Synchro wear. In any case when I took my old transmission out, I looked at the clutch and pressure plates. Everything looked amazing for the hard life this car has had. However, I feel since I have it apart I should probably change the clutch just in case. My question is, does the hive mind here have any experience with SMG track cars and clutches? Should I consider some sort of upgrade or just stick with stock. I’m really open to considering either option.

Originally posted by foolio View Post
    I’m going to ask this in the track for him because I’m interested in specific track applications. I have a 2003 M3 with 41,000 miles. It’s a dedicated track car. I’m guessing around 15,000 of those miles are track miles. I bought the car with 26,000 miles and did not drive it on the road.

A few months ago, while on track, I was starting to get grinding when shifting into fourth gear at high speed. I suspected even sensing a little bit of crunchiness with third gear a while back. I was dialing back the SMG setting as people recommend in order to avoid this, but it has eventually caught up with me.

In any case, I ordered a rebuilt transmission from Metric Mechanic. They do some machining to internal components apparently to alleviate issues with Synchro wear. In any case when I took my old transmission out, I looked at the clutch and pressure plates. Everything looked amazing for the hard life this car has had. However, I feel since I have it apart I should probably change the clutch just in case. My question is, does the hive mind here have any experience with SMG track cars and clutches? Should I consider some sort of upgrade or just stick with stock. I’m really open to considering either option.
    I'd stay stock. You can go with a lighter assembly which will help the engine to rev quicker but I think you're opening yourself up to issues.

Comment

Thanks, bigjae46 I think that is probably the best option. I can’t say I wasn’t satisfied with drivetrain performance as is. Was just curious if some had some recommendations that were no brainer upgrades I had not seen.

Comment

Working...
      X