Harry's LapTimer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harry's LapTimer

Who's using Harry's and what accessories are you running?

I'm an android user
    Film with the phone and run a dual gps160 that's 10hz

I tried the racebox that claims to be 25hz but had a third of the GPS fixes in a lap that the 10hz dual gave me. So I don't use the racebox anymore, still can't figure that one out
    ​​​​​
    Anyone have an obd2 dongle that works for throttle and revs?

I am using Harry's with a Garmin glo2 at 10 Hz, also on Android. Starting to get a little annoyed with the UI, but otherwise no issues. My car is OBD1 so no dongle for me

Comment

Why are you getting annoyed with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post
        Why are you getting annoyed with it?
        For me... The app bogs down, and crashes at times. It could be phone hardware related, or that I have too many laps logged. This is probably a "me" problem, and not a concern for anyone else.

Overall gripes... it's a pain to sync external video to their overlay. My GoPro was spotty on autoconnecting so I gave up. Either way, the video has to be on the phone storage to sync.

It also collects data, but does little in terms of analysis. You are on your own to export and run through something like circuit tools to find improvement. That works when reviewing a prior weekend, but hard to identify improvements mid-event.

I may cave and get a catalyst. At the very least, it's easier to review performance closer to real time.
        Last edited by Lavatoad; 10-10-2023, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavatoad View Post

For me... The app bogs down, and crashes at times. It could be phone hardware related, or that I have too many laps logged. This is probably a "me" problem, and not a concern for anyone else.

Overall gripes... it's a pain to sync external video to their overlay. My GoPro was spotty on autoconnecting so I gave up. Either way, the video has to be on the phone storage to sync.

It also collects data, but does little in terms of analysis. You are on your own to export and run through something like circuit tools to find improvement. That works when reviewing a prior weekend, but hard to identify improvements mid-event.

I may cave and get a catalyst. At the very least, it's easier to review performance closer to real time.
          I had the same problem with the app crashing, thousands of laps and it just can't function anymore. Accept that you're going to lose all of your data and delete the app. It will fix everything for you, it does suck to lose everything but it has its limitations as an app so you have to accept that. I've started a log book where I keep my times now for future reference. I also do a 5+ lap video that I upload to YouTube for future use. Once you give up you data and start fresh I bet the app runs great for you just like it did me.

As far as mid event data to learn from, I love the charts. I learn where to be faster based off of them. You have to have a 10hz GPS for that though so I would 100% recommend that. I run the dual 160 and have zero complaints. If you go the catalyst route good luck. I have 3 friends that use them to varrying degrees of success but I never get to see any of their videos. I shoot video from right behind my seat so you see the track but most importantly my hands. And with it on my phone I can review what I've done, compare it to my reference lap, overlay data, and upload it within minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernd View Post

I had the same problem with the app crashing, thousands of laps and it just can't function anymore. Accept that you're going to lose all of your data and delete the app. It will fix everything for you, it does suck to lose everything but it has its limitations as an app so you have to accept that. I've started a log book where I keep my times now for future reference. I also do a 5+ lap video that I upload to YouTube for future use. Once you give up you data and start fresh I bet the app runs great for you just like it did me.

As far as mid event data to learn from, I love the charts. I learn where to be faster based off of them. You have to have a 10hz GPS for that though so I would 100% recommend that. I run the dual 160 and have zero complaints. If you go the catalyst route good luck. I have 3 friends that use them to varrying degrees of success but I never get to see any of their videos. I shoot video from right behind my seat so you see the track but most importantly my hands. And with it on my phone I can review what I've done, compare it to my reference lap, overlay data, and upload it within minutes.
            Thanks for the tips. I added a 10hz receiver last year, and it greatly improved the data fidelity. I suspected as much about too many laps. I can export my good ones and wipe it clean.

Out of curiosity, how are you synching video within the lap? The cumbersome way that I've done it was fine the lap I want from my GoPro, cut just that lap, copy it to my phone, and then synch it in the timer app. Doable, just a pain. I am not throwing out the idea that I'm an idiot, and there is an obvious and easier way.

Comment

I have a phone holder mounted to my seat so I record from there. I can't see my laptime in real time but that's OK I've been doing this long enough that my butt dyno tells me where the line is

Comment

Working...
              X