Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Megan RS BBK Experience?

Hi all,
    Very tempted by the price point of the Megan RS BBK. STI pad shape so PFC 08s are available. Anyone actually tracked with this setup?

Last edited by TACOM3EAT; 10-23-2023, 10:16 AM.

Originally posted by TACOM3EAT View Post
    Hi all,
    Very tempted by the price point of the Megan RS BBK. STI pad shape so PFC 08s are available. Anyone actually tracked with this setup?

The kit has been out of stock for over a year. Might be worth checking with Andrew to see if they ever plan on restocking.
    '02 ///M3 Alpine White / Cinnamon 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by AWE46M3 View Post

The kit has been out of stock for over a year. Might be worth checking with Andrew to see if they ever plan on restocking.
      I have a line on a lightly used one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Freakyparts may still have them in stock. Ships from UK though.

FreakyParts custom designed big brake kits and wheel spacers BBK discs pads wheel spacers Brembo AP Racing Compbrake MTEC BMW M3 Mazda MX5 Honda Civic EK9 EP3 FN2 FK Type R Integra DC2 DC5 S2000 Mitsubishi Evo FTO Toyota Celica MR2

Comment

Originally posted by Lavatoad View Post
          Freakyparts may still have them in stock. Ships from UK though.

https://freakyparts.co.uk/collections/bmw-e46-m3-brakes
          Interesting, thanks.

What's the go to ZCP size front rotor for tracking?

Comment

Not sure as I don't track my e46. I do know you can get bmw rotors from fcp for lifetime replacement.

I have been tempted to run this setup on my e36 track car for ease of parts sharing (I run this kit in my street e46), but I'm trying to hold off on "upgrades". That being said, my e36 brake pedal feels like garbage, and is the thing I hate most about the car.

Comment

Interesting, thanks.

What's the go to ZCP size front rotor for tracking?
              Most guys are running OE from FCP Euro since they'll get there money back. If you want a better 345 front the girodisc is a huge upgrade.

Comment

Not sure as I don't track my e46. I do know you can get bmw rotors from fcp for lifetime replacement.

I have been tempted to run this setup on my e36 track car for ease of parts sharing (I run this kit in my street e46), but I'm trying to hold off on "upgrades". That being said, my e36 brake pedal feels like garbage, and is the thing I hate most about the car.
                Brake booster? But the sliding calipers don't help either.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Brake booster? But the sliding calipers don't help either.
                  Switching to brass guide pins over Christmas. See if that helps. Also rebuilding the front calipers.

Pedal feel is decent with new pads, but below 50% pad life, the travel is insane. The car stops, but the pedal just feels like garbage.

I was also thinking brake booster next, but will see.

Comment

Switching to brass guide pins over Christmas. See if that helps. Also rebuilding the front calipers.

Pedal feel is decent with new pads, but below 50% pad life, the travel is insane. The car stops, but the pedal just feels like garbage.

I was also thinking brake booster next, but will see.
                    Wheel bearing could also be contributing to the pad being slightly knocked back.

Is the pad wear even or tapered?

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Wheel bearing could also be contributing to the pad being slightly knocked back.

Is the pad wear even or tapered?
                      Heavily tapered on front passenger side. Driver side is pretty even

Comment

Just had my first track with these (Freakyparts kit), with reused CSL/ZCP rotors and new G-LOC R16 track pads, paired with 996 rears (also reused CSL/ZCP rotors, new G-LOC R10 pads). Cant comment on their on-track performance too much since I'm still dealing with a soft/spongy/sinking pedal mid session (in my other thread), but I had a nice surprise and lesson learned when doing my post track day inspection...

I saw people saying you can run the 16mm D1001 pads on these, well unless you're not planning to get them very hot or not run track pads; don't!

My dust boots were all either melted or cracked! At first I was pretty pissed, how did these brand new calipers' dust boots not even last one track day? Whole reason I bought new calipers was to not deal with rebuilds for awhile. But then on further inspection turns out the boots were touching against the new 16mm pads backing plates... This is even with a Ti heatshield shim on the outboard pistons (didnt have the space to fit it into the inboard side), and my rotors weren't even new so not max thickness. You can see in the pics the boots basically cooked right onto the Ti shim and backing plates; the inboard ones that didnt have a shim melted with some dark fluid running down the caliper, while the shielded outboard ones are cracked.
                        No idea how anyone would run the slightly thicker Girodisc rotors with fresh 16mm pads. When I had first installed the track pads I had to completely compress the pistons just to get them to fit. This wasnt an issue with the Akebono street pads, which I then measured were likely the 14.7mm thickness option.

So yeah for my next set of front pads I will be buying the 14.7mm D1001 instead, also to be able to keep running the Ti heatshield shims.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by BigRussia; 11-27-2023, 08:29 AM.
                        2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
                        Instagram
                        Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by BigRussia View Post
                          Just had my first track with these (Freakyparts kit), with reused CSL/ZCP rotors and new G-LOC R16 track pads, paired with 996 rears (also reused CSL/ZCP rotors, new G-LOC R10 pads). Cant comment on their on-track performance too much since I'm still dealing with a soft/spongy/sinking pedal mid session (in my other thread), but I had a nice surprise and lesson learned when doing my post track day inspection...

I saw people saying you can run the 16mm D1001 pads on these, well unless you're not planning to get them very hot or not run track pads; don't!

My dust boots were all either melted or cracked! At first I was pretty pissed, how did these brand new calipers' dust boots not even last one track day? Whole reason I bought new calipers was to not deal with rebuilds for awhile. But then on further inspection turns out the boots were touching against the new 16mm pads backing plates... This is even with a Ti heatshield shim on the outboard pistons (didnt have the space to fit it into the inboard side), and my rotors weren't even new so not max thickness. You can see in the pics the boots basically cooked right onto the Ti shim and backing plates; the inboard ones that didnt have a shim melted with some dark fluid running down the caliper, while the shielded outboard ones are cracked.
                          No idea how anyone would run the slightly thicker Girodisc rotors with fresh 16mm pads. When I had first installed the track pads I had to completely compress the pistons just to get them to fit. This wasnt an issue with the Akebono street pads, which I then measured were likely the 14.7mm thickness option.

So yeah for my next set of front pads I will be buying the 14.7mm D1001 instead, also to be able to keep running the Ti heatshield shims.
                          Oh Wow. You think this was strictly a result of the thicker pads or would you steer people away from this kit for track use in general based on your experience?

Comment

Oh Wow. You think this was strictly a result of the thicker pads or would you steer people away from this kit for track use in general based on your experience?
                            I think this was more misinformation about being able to run the thicker 16mm D1001 pad, but without anyone having tested them on track or noticing that you'd have to retract the pistons so far back to shove the thick new pads in that they're in direct contact with the dust boots. I guess I was just the track test Guinea pig in this new retrofit option lol, but glad i can give some useful info for the group.
                            I’ll still be tracking with them in the foreseeable future, so can give them a fair shake and see how they pan out. With the G-LOC pads now a bit more worn down i was able to fit the Ti shims on both piston sides at least, so lets see how everything else holds up (my main concern being the piston seals).

Also unlike the RallyRoad 996 adapter brackets, these Freakyparts adapters did not come with any shims to adjust where the caliper sits relative to the rotor (which i didnt need to use for my rear 996 Brembos, no issues there). But even then thats just to move it if one side of pistons is closer to the rotor than the other, the problem here seems that there just isn’t enough space inside the caliper to fit new 16mm pads on newish oem rotors.
                            Last edited by BigRussia; 12-03-2023, 06:09 AM.
                            2004 CB/Cinnamon 6MT Coupe
                            Instagram
                            Youtube

Comment

Working...
                            X