Advice: track shifter and engine/trans mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice: track shifter and engine/trans mounts

So, I’m planning on putting in a new flywheel and clutch; they will be OEM spec, as I’m sitting at a reasonable 323hp (Standard) and 2,900 lbs or so. The work will have me in a good position to take care of a couple other things, so I want to be smart.

I want: a track shifter like the CAE or RTD

I would like advice on: for a body mounted shifter, can I stick with OE-spec engine and trans mounts?
    Last edited by OldRanger; 01-31-2024, 03:52 AM. Reason: Confusing sentence

Depends on how much NVH you can tolerate. For a more track bias street car, something slightly stiffer than stock would probably be the Bimmerworld or 034 engine mounts and the rogue engineering trans mounts.

Once you get into poly mounts, I have heard that NVH becomes too much and people revert back to stock. I'd probably only get poly or solid for a dedicated track or race car.

Also, I'd get the CAE over the RTD as CAE is the benchmark for chassis mounted shifters.

Comment

I describe poly mounts like this...

OEM is quiet but is soft and needs to be replaced. Solid lasts forever and is responsive but is noisy. Poly is soft, needs to be replaced, and noisy - its like do you get kicked in the left nut or right nut? Nope...I'll take a solid kick to the entire groin area

Poly is a total waste.

I'd go with a simpler BW or AKG shifter. Yeah the CAE is feels cool but it is redundant to the detent springs in the transmission and I'd argue its potentially less reliable with a significantly more complex part.

Comment

My 2c is if it is a dedicated track/race car just go all the way. Solid mounts and whatever type of shifter you want. I agree with Jae's comments, the self centering lockout shifters are more complex than a solid BW shifter, but they are still pretty straight forward and have been reliable for me. I have an IRP and cant see myself going back. Inspires confidence...zero chance of miss-shift....frees up some mental focus. And I just like the driving experience and feel of it paired with a twin disk clutch...even if it is or isn't the most driver friendly.

Comment

I will never drive a BW or AKG shifter again. Chances of finding 3rd instead of 5th are too high. Use poly mounts and get a solid spring style one. We are switching race cars from solid mounts to poly to lengthen subframes and bracket life, not seeing any benefit besides things breaking quicker. My preference is red AKG's.

Comment

IRP shifter and Group N mounts in my track car. Yes - NVH is higher but on the track you get a solid feel and precise shifting.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedCommie View Post
              I will never drive a BW or AKG shifter again. Chances of finding 3rd instead of 5th are too high. Use poly mounts and get a solid spring style one. We are switching race cars from solid mounts to poly to lengthen subframes and bracket life, not seeing any benefit besides things breaking quicker. My preference is red AKG's.
              Just turn your hand outward, push over and up and it goes into 5th every time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

Just turn your hand outward, push over and up and it goes into 5th every time.
                I wasn't the one that made the mistake, but I did have to fix the over rev after

Comment

The only gear I struggle with on my OE 6-speed as-is…is downshifting to 2nd. There’s some odd ‘no-man’s land’ the lever can get into if I’m not pulling straight back through the ‘gate’.

Comment

I’d recommend the RTD race/tall shifter if your car is mostly for track use. If not, just go with an AS SSK. The RTD shifter is an amazing part and awesome on track, but you might get tired of the effort needed to shift when driving on the street.

IIRC the OE E9X motor mounts (now also OE for the E46) are stiffer than the original OE E46 motor mounts, so you could try those. I ran the BW GroupN motor mounts for about 30k miles and liked them…until I got tired of the vibrations at idle after I turned the car back into a street car. Both RE rubber and poly trans mounts should be fine.

If you want to try out the BW GroupN motor mounts and AKG 75D (red) trans mounts, you can have mine. Just pay for shipping.
                    Silver Track to Street Car Journal
                    Interlagos Blue Street Car Journal

Comment

Working...
                    X