Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin Catalyst Sale

$100 off right now FYI.

Who’s happy with their experience? I have no 1st hand accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did find this Review:
    Garmin Catalyst review after 2 days on track

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?share_fid=2212386&share_tid=60183&url=https% 3A%2F%2Fnam3forum%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Fmobiquo%2Fredir ect%2Ephp%3Ftid%3D60183&share_type=t&link_source=a pp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TACOM3EAT; 03-16-2024, 10:42 AM.

Comment

I'm guessing you're comparing a Catalyst to something like an AIM Solo 2 DL.

Catalyst:
      The big advantage is the immediate feedback with data and video combined.
      The downside is (afaik) you can't get your car's Canbus data.

AIM
      To get that immediate data with video with any AIM device, you need to also get their Smarty Cam, which starts at $900 for the basic one.
      You're also going to need to bring your laptop to view the data.
      The advantage is you can get canbus data if you get a DL (or better)

But at least you have the option to get both canbus and immediate data with video with AIM, which won't happen with the Catalyst (again, afaik).
      You can also merge the AIM data with a GoPro video while you're at the track, but that does take some time to render (at least an hour for a 15 minute video).

So it depends on what you're looking for. The canbus data is more important to me because I'm already an awesome driver (not really), so I stayed with AIM.

The Catalyst is starting to gain traction, so you should be able to find someone to ask at your next event. The three or four people I've asked seem to like theirs.

Comment

I use one and agree with elbert on the advantage of having immediate feedback, especially if you're still working on perfecting a driving shool 'line' and the associated braking points and optimal speed. It is an extremely effective tool for that and could help confirm if your instructor's recommendations are helpful. The key feature for Catalyst is the immediatly available Opportunities presented in easy format for applying in the next session.

Here's what I will add: if you plan to progress rapidly from beginner to advanced HPDE you might outgrow it quickly. I say that for a couple reasons: 1) as soon as you're in a group that is passing anywhere on the track, it's difficult to get the most out of Catalyst. 2) once you become an advanced driver, you will likely want more data.

Comment

I use one, it's pretty interesting. I think it's a great tool for all levels. Immediate replay and comparison with a time delta of laps and video replay with opportunities is great. Wish camera was better for 2 reasons 1) some berms you run over shake it enough to somehow disconnect (lap/session keeps recording but without video) until it reconnects most of the time within 10 seconds (sometimes it doesn't reconnect for rest of session), 2) to check braking zones, quality is too poor to freeze frame to look at which twig/crack in surface you used on which lap.

I still like to review my gopro which mounts behind me to look at driver inputs, but for immediate feedback with replay that doesn't have information overload or require bringing a laptop along is sweet as convenience and packaging factor in one.

In terms of pricing, they seem to always be either $100 or $200 off.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

I think a Catalyst is a really good tool. That's the route I'd go if it was out when I got the SoloDL. Its less than the the SoloDL and a gopro.

For me, I really want to see brake pressure data which neither setup does.

Frankly the AiM SoloDL is like using a flip phone. Even if you get the Solo2DL. A catalyst is pretty much a no brainer nowadays.

I want brake pressure data so I plan to upgrade to an AiM dash at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
              I think a Catalyst is a really good tool. That's the route I'd go if it was out when I got the SoloDL. Its less than the the SoloDL and a gopro.

For me, I really want to see brake pressure data which neither setup does.

Frankly the AiM SoloDL is like using a flip phone. Even if you get the Solo2DL. A catalyst is pretty much a no brainer nowadays.

I want brake pressure data so I plan to upgrade to an AiM dash at some point.
              I haven't looked too much, but via a CAN there is brake pressure Solo can log and individual wheel speeds.

Sent from my SM-S911U1 using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

For whatever reason, AIM can't read the brake pressure on e46 m3 canbus.

One workaround is to tap into the signal wire that runs from the brake pressure sensor.
                I think I have a way to get that without using wiretaps. A quick check with INPA confirmed it worked, but I need to do final testing and write up.

Comment

Working...
                X