Oil cooling beyond an upgraded cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil cooling beyond an upgraded cooler?

I took my M3 out for a casual lapping day just out of curiosity, and even at a 5 or 6/10ths pace I was seeing crazy oil temps, almost to the 3/4th dot. This was on pretty fresh TWS 10W-60 as well, and it was only ~70-74* ambient.

Do you guys generally see cooling solved by upgrading to something like the CSF cooler? I have a track car so I'd rather keep the M3 street spec but it would be nice to track it every once in a while and not see oil temps that make me go wtf.
    '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Oil cooling isnt the whole picture. Water temps will impact oil temps and oil temps will impact water temps .

The CSF oil cooler is a good piece but most have also seen much improved oil temps by just replacing the OEM oil cooler or getting theirs cleaned in an ultrasonic bath. Over time the stock oil cooler gets very dirty.

However you should also consider an upgraded radiator and possibly water pump at some point. The stock one with plastic end tanks are prone to failure. The CSF radiator is a good option but there are others out there as well.

Comment

That's normal track day temps for an e46 m3. No need to worry if you only do track days sparingly. Maybe small upgrades recommended if you're tracking often. I have an OEM oil cooler(180K mileage) that was just ultrasonic cleaned and running thermostat delete and have no oil cooling issues paired with koyo aluminum radiator

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I was surprised by how rock solid the water temps were, to be honest. Oil temps were another story.
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
          Thanks for the input guys. I was surprised by how rock solid the water temps were, to be honest. Oil temps were another story.
          To be honest I worry more about coolant temps than I do oil temps.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
            To be honest I worry more about coolant temps than I do oil temps.
            Same here. Any decent oil should be able to tolerate 255 deg F.

Comment

Working...
            X