No announcement yet.

Most aggressive wheel/tire track setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe he’s referring to the negative camber required to clear the fenders. But we’ve already established that this is actually needed on the race track based on tire/tread temperature data. There’s absolutely no compromise here, on the contrary.

On the street though, that much negative camber will wear tires unevenly and actually provide less grip. But then again you don’t need that much tire/wheel on the street. This is a race setup.

Since no one has mentioned it, the real question should be about scrub radius. Sure there is some compromise here but the benefits far outweigh the negatives imo.

Comment

Originally posted by silaciM3 View Post
      Since no one has mentioned it, the real question should be about scrub radius. Sure there is some compromise here but the benefits far outweigh the negatives imo.
      Scrub radius can be addressed with aftermarket control arms, like those made by SLR. They also make a “mini kit” which allows the use of a stock control arm with a roll center correcting outer ball joint/bearing setup. I have the mini kit on my e36 m3.

Comment

Originally posted by lcrain View Post

Scrub radius can be addressed with aftermarket control arms, like those made by SLR. They also make a “mini kit” which allows the use of a stock control arm with a roll center correcting outer ball joint/bearing setup. I have the mini kit on my e36 m3.
        No, scrub radius has nothing to do with the control arm. Those control arms can widen the track without affecting scrub radius like low offset wheels do.

Comment

No, scrub radius has nothing to do with the control arm. Those control arms can widen the track without affecting scrub radius like low offset wheels do.
          Got it. That makes sense. I will admit, my understanding of scrub radius is rudimentary at best. So the offset and width of the wheel is what stands to change the scrub radius.

Comment

I believe he’s referring to the negative camber required to clear the fenders. But we’ve already established that this is actually needed on the race track based on tire/tread temperature data. There’s absolutely no compromise here, on the contrary.

On the street though, that much negative camber will wear tires unevenly and actually provide less grip. But then again you don’t need that much tire/wheel on the street. This is a race setup.

I think people run too much camber on track, too, out of necessity because they run the cars too low. Run the car higher and you're in a better portion of the camber curve, less static camber required.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
            2012 LMB/Black 128i
            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post

Can you explain more?
              My comment was 100% sarcasm.

Comment

Working...
              X