2021 tire thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021 tire thread

Welp, I was planning to make the switch from NT01 to BFG R1 this season, only to find out the R1 has been discontinued. BFG still offers the R1S.

What will everyone be running this year, and where are you getting them? I need ideas.

I’ve heard that the Goodyear R3s are supposed to be excellent.

Still going to run NT01s for DEs and in NASA time trials. I’d like to see how close I can get to the guys running Hoosiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
      I’ve heard that the Goodyear R3s are supposed to be excellent.

Still going to run NT01s for DEs and in NASA time trials. I’d like to see how close I can get to the guys running Hoosiers.

you going to MSRH end of the month? I haven't seen you on the entry list yet. TT2 or TT3?

Comment

has anyone tried the federal fz201? I have run NT-01's for about 6 seasons now but the price of the federal is really attractive. any experience with either the S or the M?

Comment

I’m thinking of running nt01 and the 3r tires this season in TT3.

I’ve heard some really great things about the 3r tire.

I tested the ar1 and before I corded them I found this weird rip across the tread. Great tire but I scrapped the set after seeing this.

Any ideas what might have caused it? No leaking and I would have never found it if I hadn’t taken the wheels off to swap pads in

2018 Grigio Telesto F80 M3 DCT | :: Bone Stock ::
          2004 Titanium Silver E46 M3 6 Speed | :: Track Car ::

Comment

Originally posted by thundermoose View Post

you going to MSRH end of the month? I haven't seen you on the entry list yet. TT2 or TT3?
            That’s the plan...run TT3. Might have to do HPDE and get checked out first.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post

That’s the plan...run TT3. Might have to do HPDE and get checked out first.

If you can swing it, come out that Friday and get your check ride.

Try to get all your paperwork in. Jim Berg at MSRH can help with dyno.

Introduction New for 2024 – Introducing Time Trial Target 6.4 TTT (“Triple T”) – Time Trial Target Classing TTT is an Open class for all TT vehicles and competitors, and does not rely on any vehicle classing rules! All vehicles participating in Time Trial will automatically be entered into the TTT competition. This new innovative […]

Comment

Originally posted by Sergmann View Post
                has anyone tried the federal fz201? I have run NT-01's for about 6 seasons now but the price of the federal is really attractive. any experience with either the S or the M?
                A buddy of mine was running them in his s2k, the S compound, and he was very happy with them. They are a bit heavy though, side walls are a bit stiff and if driven on the street too much could be damaged. Im currently running A052s myself I might give them a shot once the Yokos give out

Comment

Originally posted by thundermoose View Post

If you can swing it, come out that Friday and get your check ride.

Try to get all your paperwork in. Jim Berg at MSRH can help with dyno.

Introduction New for 2024 – Introducing Time Trial Target 6.4 TTT (“Triple T”) – Time Trial Target Classing TTT is an Open class for all TT vehicles and competitors, and does not rely on any vehicle classing rules! All vehicles participating in Time Trial will automatically be entered into the TTT competition. This new innovative […]

Jim Berg is the man! I need to schedule some dyno time with him for a tune.

Comment

Originally posted by sc_tr0jan_m3 View Post
                    Any ideas what might have caused it? No leaking and I would have never found it if I hadn’t taken the wheels off to swap pads in

People report seeing these cracks (sometimes they span the entire tread width) in colder months when tires go from cold ambient to very hot when driven aggressively very quickly. Yoko, Falken, Federal, Toyo, etc 200 and 100 tw. Most still send it since there are cords and steel belts holding the carcass together and these seem to be surface layers of rubber separating.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post

People report seeing these cracks (sometimes they span the entire tread width) in colder months when tires go from cold ambient to very hot when driven aggressively very quickly. Yoko, Falken, Federal, Toyo, etc 200 and 100 tw. Most still send it since there are cords and steel belts holding the carcass together and these seem to be surface layers of rubber separating.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hmm interesting. Might be the case then given I did run them in colder rain that dried up by the afternoon. I wish I felt comfortable with running them but I may scrap the set.

Comment

I ran AR1s this year and was very happy with them. I'm getting a set of Hoosiers (A7s likely) and will try to do a back-to-back one day this year.
                        '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
                        many others

Comment

Where you guys like to get your AR1s? Phil's?
                          '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

Originally posted by r4dr View Post
                            Where you guys like to get your AR1s? Phil's?
                            Phil’s is good if you don’t have local spots that supply. Other options are rcompoundusa or true performance in SoCal also stock them.

Comment

3R: Very fast tire, but needs some laps to get heat in them. Once they are warmed up they should easily last all session with minimal dropoff. Dangerous in wet conditions.
                              A052: My preferred tire. Slightly slower than the 3R, but gets to temp quicker. Street friendly.
                              AR1: Fast tire. Seems to lose grip over HC sooner than the A052. Howl on the street.
                              RE71: Gets up to temp quickly and lots of grip, but gets greasier as session goes on.
                              Nt01: 'Ol reliable. Does not have the grip of the newer tires, but lasts a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X