Action Cam Review: Akaso EK7000 vs GoPro Hero 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Action Cam Review: Akaso EK7000 vs GoPro Hero 5

Here is a review of the Akaso EK7000. I like the GoPro...it is the best of the best as far as I know. I like getting video from outside of the car which I find very useful when using data. I've lost two action cams because...I drive so fast! No...it was basically negligence. But that negligence cost $400 and then I asked myself do I REALLY need the best?

I purchased an Akaso EK7000 from Amazon for $50. Includes 2 batteries, charger, and lots of little pieces that you'll likely never use.

The battery life isn't THAT great but you get 2 batteries included. I change batteries mid-day at the same time I change the micro SD card so not a big deal. I think I could get through a weekend without charging the GoPro if I ever remember to turn it off right after every session (I have lots of video of people walking in front of my car in the paddock). The Akaso will not last. Maybe last 4 sessions but I still have the same issue...forgetting to turn it off.

My main complaint is the lack of WiFi/Bluetooth operation. There is a remote that is included but that no longer works, not sure if its a battery in the remote or if its broken. Now I have to manually start the camera. For me, not a big deal. I never have my phone on track since there is no place to secure it so I manually start the GoPro. Not a huge deal but it would be nice. That also means you can't live stream whereas I can live stream from the GoPro. I'm not an internet star...again...not a big deal.

I'll post two videos below comparing the Go Pro vs Akaso, both were processed the same using Race Render. The GoPro is certainly has better quality video. For my purposes the Akaso is good enough. I would say the Akaso is a step up from the 2nd gen Go Pro I had.

Can't really compare the sound because the Go Pro was in a non-waterproof case and the Akaso was in a waterproof case.

Overall..the GoPro has to be your choice if you're live streaming or need top quality video. If not the Akaso is an option. Going forward, I 'm going to put an Akaso on the outside of the car and a GoPro inside. If the Akaso flies off..not a huge deal.

Go Pro

Akaso

I have an Akaso V50X which is a step up from the EK7000 and it's a pretty good bang for buck I reckon - up to 4K resolution and wifi. It's about double the price of the EK7000 but has most of the features of the GoPro without the cost.

The wifi is useful when reviewing footage at the track to see where I can make time up - heck, one time at autox the course design was absolute garbage and pretty much everyone was getting lost, having access to the video on my phone to see where I went off was super valuable.

I actually find the remote quite useful - I set up my camera to beep obnoxiously loud when starting/stopping video. So I just use the remote and the camera makes it obvious when that happens.

Battery life seems similar to the EK7000 but 2 batteries is more than enough to get me through a full 10-5 day session. I was looking at reviews and sound quality is pretty poor with the waterproof case, but I don't need to use it with my setup.

Originally posted by bigjae46 View Post
    I think I could get through a weekend without charging the GoPro if I ever remember to turn it off right after every session (I have lots of video of people walking in front of my car in the paddock).
    Haha tell me about it, story of my life

Comment

Working...
    X