S54 No Oil Pressure/Vanos Inlet Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 No Oil Pressure/Vanos Inlet Code

I've got a '05 M3 detuned down to 260HP that I race in NASA ST4. This past weekend my wife was out in her HPDE 4 session and lost power after letting off to let a car go by, and the engine stalled. She coasted around a turn and ended up in a spot she felt was unsafe. She then restarted the car, it ran very rough and she chugged it to a different spot on track, having to restart it at twice.

After the tow back to the garage, we checked codes and it had a "B8 DTC inlet vanos" code. At that time we had not realized the engine had no oil pressure and it had been run to try to clear adaptions and codes. We even tried swapping the vanos solenoid and running it again. Upon looking in the oil fil cap while the engine was running it showed no oil getting to the top of the engine.

I have no idea what happened. I still need to look at the oil filter and drain the oil to look for clues but it's either rod bearings or an oil pump (rare) I'm guessing. I'm also assuming the vanos code was only thrown because of the lack of pressure is is a result not a cause of the issue.

Any thoughts would be great.

Also, any recommendations on a rebuild or process moving forward are welcome from any racers that have been through this already. Junk yard engine, new rod bearings, go for it? Dismantled the existing engine and have it rebuilt? By who? I'm in the pacific northwest (NW Montana).

In the mean time, I'm going to start the process of pulling the engine assuming it's in need of work at the very best.

You might get more visibility on this issue on the main forum. While this happened on track sounds like a general engine issue.

I would pull the filter and inspect for metal. Then pull the pan and inspect the oil pump.

Some bmw engines are notoriius for losing their oil pump nut. AFAIK the s54 does not suffer from this same issue.

Comment

It ended up being the oil pump nut. Loosened enough for the sprocket to come off the splines. Zero oil pressure, engine is in tough shape right now. Working through the rebuild. May need to find a bottom end due to some excessive heat causing some issues. Machine shop is currently trying to salvage my crank but the thrust bearing is pretty bad. If anyone knows of a S54 bottom end laying around let me know.

Comment

Wow, didn’t realize that was a possibility on these motors. I just knew this was a common thing on the S52 and etc.

Did you end up finding a shop to do your tear down and rebuild? I missed this thread initially but I would have suggested AR in Portland since I’m guessing you have a truck and trailer. A little far but there’s nowhere better IMO.
        '03.5 M3 SMG Coupe - Jet Black / Black

Comment

I did find a shop. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll keep it in mind moving forward. Hoping not any time soon. I may start gathering up pieces for a LS swap, I am now the third racer in the Utah region that is having a hell of a time with S54s. I am not going to bother again with a S54 if this rebuild doesn't last.

Comment

Originally posted by HaB racing View Post
            I am now the third racer in the Utah region that is having a hell of a time with S54s. I am not going to bother again with a S54 if this rebuild doesn't last.

HaB,

Very strong statement. I wander where BMW Motorsport
            went all wrong ?

There is an old saying "A fine engineering is pile of garbage
            in the Wrong Hands"

Regards,
            Anri.

Last edited by Anri; 08-24-2021, 10:22 PM.
            https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Originally posted by Anri View Post
              "A fine engineering is pile of garbage
              in the Wrong Hands"
              Thanks for replying to 5 month old thread with your pearls of knowledge.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by HaB racing View Post

Thanks for replying to 5 month old thread with your pearls of knowledge.

Regards,
                Not sure what you are all about but 5 months later
                there is not an update ?

I will be glad to see you move to LS engine. As long
                as you are happy with your choice that is all what it
                matters.

Never forget nothing is perfect out of the Box that is
                for sure.

But for the intended purpose of what is this engine being
                used it has a very critical approaches and strategy which
                clearly none has been done. Some of the answers are in
                your post reply #3.

Please understand I am not trying to start a thing. But
                who ever worked and prepped this S54 in your race car
                is based on the principle "If ain't broken don't touch it"

Long races like you both run with NASA ST4 is very
                hard on the engine and thus approaches on the parts
                require closer attention and improving some areas is
                super critical. I am sure none was done.

Good luck with which ever direction you take.

Cheers,
                Anri
                https://www.instagram.com/euroclassicmotors/.

www.euroclassicmotors.com

Comment

Working...
                X