Auto-X Beginner Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto-X Beginner Tips?

I have my first auto-x event in a few weeks. I’ve done alot of HPDE but never auto-x. If anyone has some beginner tips as to what to expect please post here. Because of COVID there is no in car instruction so I’m trying to prep mentally as much as possible.

For example tire pressures I imagine are very different in auto-x.

Not trying to be competetive, just trying to get back into the sport without the full risks of high speed HPDE.

This is with NCC CCA, i’ll be in the novice modified class since the car is catless.

I do what I would call “casual” auto crossing with the SCCA. I say casual because there are people there that are way over the top with gutted cars, tire warmers, full rigs, etc. Good for them because people like you and me are probably more over the top in HPDE For example, I don’t even take my M3 since it is fully track prepped. I don’t think it would do well on and autocross course and the class I would have to compete in would leave me embarrassed because there are some really good drivers there. My tires alone wouldn’t even get up to temp before the end of the course. The last few times I have gone I have taken my full stock 330i ZHP 6MT with Michelin AS3+ tires. It’s loads of fun and I am competitive in my class (G-Street). I put my tires up to 35 PSI since they don’t start out warm and disable traction control. I am no expert. I’d say go out there and just have at it and you’ll figure it out. It’s a good way to get lower speed seat time and feel your car move around while you get comfortable. With the experience you have in HPDE, you’ll figure it out quickly enough. Now, if you want to go all out, I am sure there are better people to talk to about it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by foolio; 04-10-2021, 12:24 PM. Reason: Gratuitous ZHP shot

Comment

For a first timers, it's really just about learning what is going on. Often you can get lost in the sea of cones, so having "high eye's" is helpful. By that, I mean look as far ahead as possible, through the cones to see the path.

I'd get there early and do a course walk at leas 2 times, and again at lunch if that's thing. Working course is helpful to see how the fast guys are going through a section, so if you are struggling in a spot, try and get a corner working spot near that area.

Don't worry about mods or tires or anything like that, just go and enjoy.

Comment

I'll echo the above inputs and add a couple more thoughts. The advice to look ahead is right on and one of the most important autocross skills to develop - it's almost impossible to look too far ahead. With respect to the "sea of cones" comment I'll add that on say a sixty second course that may have 150 plus cones there might be ten or twelve that matter - the rest are just noise. Try to identify them on your course walks (I try to do three) so you can look for them as you drive the course. Huge help in car placement. Tire pressures will depend on your set up and tire brand. I have MCS 2WNRs with 600f/750r springs and a big front bar. Camber -3.5f/2.0r with square 18x9.5 wheels and 275 or 265 tires. For RE-71s I ran 31f/29r hot, A052s 33f/31r hot, bleeding pressure until it stabilizes. Finally, just have fun!

Comment

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate all the advice!

Comment

Bring some chalk to mark your tires to see how much roll over you get. Autox is a lot of tighter turns and normally dictates more camber/higher pressures.

Make sure you understand the course and which direction you are supposed to go (which way fallen cones point, gates vs slaloms, etc). Smaller venues sometimes run through the same section more than once, or you have x intersections where you enter one way and come out another way. Know the directions, some are taken cw, some ccw.

In autox shorter distance results in lower time vs a "racing line" you might use on track (think not going deep into the braking zone for a late apex, think slowing down earlier and hugging the inside line).

I like autox because it provides a mental challenge of quickly having to learn the course since each layout is different (even though they all contain the same elements like sweepers, slaloms, etc, but spacing between those elements makes for a very different driving approach).

Keep the tire pressure gauge on you or in your grid spot so you can adjust between runs. Also bring a water bottle with you that you keep on the grid, so you don't have to run back to the paddock area. Some sessions (where group A runs while group B works) can last up to few hours (depending on how your organizer wants to run it and how many groups).

I also bring a rain umbrella with me onto the course when I work a station. I'm fine lathering up with sunscreen, but depending on temp/humidity (especially in afternoon), heat can get to you. Just make sure it's a neutral color that can not be mistaken for a red flag that you are constantly holding up.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Wear comfortable shoes. Shagging cones is part of the gig. Swap your driving shoes on when it's time for your runs if you prefer.
              '02 e46m3 - fully caged track car
              many others

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
                Bring some chalk to mark your tires to see how much roll over you get. Autox is a lot of tighter turns and normally dictates more camber/higher pressures.

Make sure you understand the course and which direction you are supposed to go (which way fallen cones point, gates vs slaloms, etc). Smaller venues sometimes run through the same section more than once, or you have x intersections where you enter one way and come out another way. Know the directions, some are taken cw, some ccw.

In autox shorter distance results in lower time vs a "racing line" you might use on track (think not going deep into the braking zone for a late apex, think slowing down earlier and hugging the inside line).

I like autox because it provides a mental challenge of quickly having to learn the course since each layout is different (even though they all contain the same elements like sweepers, slaloms, etc, but spacing between those elements makes for a very different driving approach).

Keep the tire pressure gauge on you or in your grid spot so you can adjust between runs. Also bring a water bottle with you that you keep on the grid, so you don't have to run back to the paddock area. Some sessions (where group A runs while group B works) can last up to few hours (depending on how your organizer wants to run it and how many groups).

I also bring a rain umbrella with me onto the course when I work a station. I'm fine lathering up with sunscreen, but depending on temp/humidity (especially in afternoon), heat can get to you. Just make sure it's a neutral color that can not be mistaken for a red flag that you are constantly holding up.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                Thanks!

Never would have thought of umbrella. My half-irish skin does hate sitting in the sun!

Comment

First event went well. I was slow. DNF’d half my runs.

A little frustrated how much sweat time you get in a whole day though.

All in all it was fun but might not be the best thing for driver development.

Comment

Working...
                  X