Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: 3.91 Differential

Hi Everyone:

I am looking for a 3.91 diff in good condition as my stock diff is on the way out (clunk-a-thon). V2 preferred--my car is an 04. If you have been thinking of reverting back to stock or going up to 4.10, I will make good use of your 3.91.

Located in Los Angeles, but willing to work out shipping/pickup on my end to make it easier on you.

Thanks in advance!

You are looking for a full diff with 3.91 ring/pinion in it, not just a loose set of 3.91 ring/pinion? On v2...likely clutches are not in best shape and it's a pain to rebuild (or even find a local shop willing to take on the job) compared to a v1.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by mrgizmo04 View Post
      You are looking for a full diff with 3.91 ring/pinion in it, not just a loose set of 3.91 ring/pinion? On v2...likely clutches are not in best shape and it's a pain to rebuild (or even find a local shop willing to take on the job) compared to a v1.

Yes, I was hoping to find a full 3.91 diff ready to go.

Stupid question: I assume I’m not able to plug in a V1 diff without headaches, right?

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post

Yes, I was hoping to find a full 3.91 diff ready to go.

Stupid question: I assume I’m not able to plug in a V1 diff without headaches, right?
        So the diff case/bearings/seals are the same between v1 and v2, just the LSD unit inside is different. Yes, you can swap in a v1, but you will need to re-shim it and adjust backlash.

I'm not sure someone will have a rebuilt/refreshed full diff with 3.91 to ship you outside of diffsonline, but never know.

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Learn something everyday, had no idea there was a v1 and v2.

My 3.91 seems pretty clunky too

Hard to fathom the cost of a rebuild​​​​ through diffsonline, but will likely have to resort to that. I hope you find what you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post

Hard to fathom the cost of a rebuild​​​​ through diffsonline, but will likely have to resort to that. I hope you find what you're looking for.
            The place here in San Diego that rebuilt my diff and installed the Drexler LSD + 3.91 gears charged $900ish total and that included all the seals and bearings and other hardware to refresh the diff.
            Instagram: @logicalconclusion

Comment

Originally posted by LSB4Me View Post
              Hi Everyone:

V2 preferred--my car is an 04.
              I have a video describing difference if interested and how to confirm what version you have.

Unless you are original owner and know what is in your car, I would not assume v1 vs v2 based on year of the car. Given how many people strip the front bolt hole and how quickly the clutches wear/add to the noise and how long Dan@diffsonline has been around, the replacement units are all over the place (I've seen v2 found in older cars, v1 fitted in newer cars, etc) with timeserted bolt holes.

Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Originally posted by EthanolTurbo View Post

The place here in San Diego that rebuilt my diff and installed the Drexler LSD + 3.91 gears charged $900ish total and that included all the seals and bearings and other hardware to refresh the diff.
                There is a place in norcal that can do similar labor for about 700-800. You provide all the parts/shims, he can replace all seals, bearings, swap in an already built LSD unit of your choice and gearing and adjust the backlash. He can also replace the clutch pack in v1 unit (you provide the new clutches), but didn't want to deal with additional steps/complexity/learning curve/labor on a v2.

Last edited by mrgizmo04; 02-01-2023, 10:27 AM.
                Youtube DIYs and more

Comment

Mine is on its last leg as-well; I was cruising on the highway and the smg light went off and then my diff proceeded to make the most terrible noises known to man, but I continued to drive it. Changed the diff fluid and no metal chunks came out, so we’ll see when it dies but for now it’s a ticking time bomb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X