Possible trade; gs6 for 420g

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible trade; gs6 for 420g

Don’t post here much, so forgive me if I’m posting this in the wrong place.
    This may be a long shot but I’m looking to see if anyone is possibly interested in trading their 420g for my gs6-37bz.
    Long story short, I bought the car with this trans in it over 4 years ago and has had absolutely zero hiccups, car has never skipped a beat. I’m simply looking to make the car as OEM as possible.
    Located on San Diego.​

I am a big fan of the ZF unit - I have one on my non-M and it’s such a nice, smooth transmission for daily driving compared to M3’s getrag unit. However, I doubt anyone with an e46 M3 would want to do this trade especially if the ZF is from a non-m e46 rather than z4m (input shaft length is different).

ZF transmissions for the non-m are in high demand tho, they are even used in non-bmw applications. I’d suggest you try selling it on e46fanatics - I’m sure you will get enough money for it to fund a used 420g purchase elsewhere. Good luck!
    Last edited by PetrolM3; 04-15-2024, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I have a 420g for sale. But in NorCal. Shipping would be expensive though.

Comment

Originally posted by PetrolM3 View Post
        I am a big fan of the ZF unit - I have one on my non-M and it’s such a nice, smooth transmission for daily driving compared to M3’s getrag unit. However, I doubt anyone with an e46 M3 would want to do this trade especially if the ZF is from a non-m e46 rather than z4m (input shaft length is different).

ZF transmissions for the non-m are in high demand tho, they are even used in non-bmw applications. I’d suggest you try selling it on e46fanatics - I’m sure you will get enough money for it to fund a used 420g purchase elsewhere. Good luck!
        Thank you!! Yea that’s what I’ll probably end up doing, wanted to see if I could skip a transaction or two by seeing if anyone needed one haha. Transmission is beautiful and shifts great! I’m still not 100% sure what it came out of, but considering it’s been going strong for this long leads me to believe it was a z4m trans. Had a lurking problem with the transmission crossmember as nothing is small enough to fit over the exhaust, and having to get a custom selector rod for SSKs is a headache I’d rather avoid. Not to mention clutch and flywheel pairings, would rather do what’s known to work than finding out the expensive way lol.

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post
          I have a 420g for sale. But in NorCal. Shipping would be expensive though.
          What part of NorCal?

Comment

Hm. I live in LA and would be interested. Labor to swap would probably be a lot however.

Comment

Originally posted by noahd44 View Post

Thank you!! Yea that’s what I’ll probably end up doing, wanted to see if I could skip a transaction or two by seeing if anyone needed one haha. Transmission is beautiful and shifts great! I’m still not 100% sure what it came out of, but considering it’s been going strong for this long leads me to believe it was a z4m trans. Had a lurking problem with the transmission crossmember as nothing is small enough to fit over the exhaust, and having to get a custom selector rod for SSKs is a headache I’d rather avoid. Not to mention clutch and flywheel pairings, would rather do what’s known to work than finding out the expensive way lol.
              Transmission crossmember is the same across all E46's, why would that cause any fitment issues? And the selector rod you just use the one for that transmission/shifter and it should all fit the same since it's the same chassis.

Comment

What part of NorCal?
                Sac.

Comment

Originally posted by e46IX View Post

Transmission crossmember is the same across all E46's, why would that cause any fitment issues? And the selector rod you just use the one for that transmission/shifter and it should all fit the same since it's the same chassis.
                  Non M e46s don’t have the exhaust routed under the crossmember/ don’t need as much clearance so it’s a thicker crossmember. M3s on the other hand have the exhaust run right under the trans so the crossmember needs to be smaller/thinner to clear.

Comment

Not to mention, zf 5 speed, getrag 5 speed, zf 6speed and getrag 6 speed all have different mounting points on the crossmember itself if I’m not mistaken. I know for a fact an m3 crossmember won’t fit as I’ve tried putting it in and learned the hard way lol.

Comment

Originally posted by simonnim View Post

Sac.
                      Hm you looking to get for it? How many miles on it? Is it an OEM 6 speed? What else are you including with it ( just the gearbox and bell housing or full assembly)

Comment

Having 6MT swapped both an M and a non-m, I am pretty sure this ‘trade’ would require swapping the complete tranny with bell housing, cross member, shifter linkage and complete clutch assembly.

Comment

Incorrect. Both cross member and shifter rod / linkage parts are different.

Comment

Hm you looking to get for it? How many miles on it? Is it an OEM 6 speed? What else are you including with it ( just the gearbox and bell housing or full assembly)
                            SMG, but an 08 tranny from dealer as indicated on the tranny stamping. Apparently something happened to the original that came with the car and it was swapped according to Carfax. Dealer also confirmed the job and printed invoices. About 80k miles on it. I was keeping as spare for when my 420g swapped in blows up. But, less track time available to me with young kids, wouldn't mind parting with it since future is still uncertain with my plans for the car.

Asking $900.

Comment

Working...
                            X