X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock M Variable LSD with BMW Motorsport 3.91 Gears

SOLD!!!

Hey all,

Up for sale is my 3.91 stock m variable LSD. Unsure of mileage. (Pics in a post below)

Pulled off the car with no issues.

Full disclosure: Prior to removing it I did a fluid change and used the fluid with little FM and so it was groaning a bit. I didn't realize it but this is apparently normal. After doing some research I realized they all grown a bit unless you add extra FM/do the proper break in with some figure 8's. Before the fluid change I had zero noises so I am pretty certain the fluid with little FM was what caused the low speed groaning. Apart from that, there are no weird clunks or anything. Very little play in the passenger output shaft as well. I have a video I can send to show how minimal the play is. They all have a bit of play in the passenger output shaft (you can watch some vids online), and the diff I am replacing this with surprisingly has more play in the output shaft than this one. I can also send pics with the cover removed so you can see the inside.

Selling because I did a full rear end refresh and decided to go with a 4.1 while I was at it.

You'll probably want new bushings and to clean up the cover a bit (I bought a spare cover from someone on here as the ears on my replacement diff cracked so I used the cover that was on this one and replaced it with a used one).

Good to throw on as is or a good candidate for a proper rebuild with aftermarket LSD. If you decide to rebuild you'll save yourself about $1k on the 3.91 gearset alone. The diff is worth it for the gears alone. 3.91 is the perfect middle ground ratio IMO. I'd have stuck to 4.1 but I rarely drive on the highway so decided a little shorter wouldn't bother me.

I also drained the fluid so you will need to refill with the fluid of your choice. My suggestion is the Castrol stuff with a little bit of extra FM added to reduce noise.

Sorry it's a little dirty as I haven't had time to clean it. Will take better pics soon.

I'd like $1200 obo. I think this is fair considering just the ring and pinion is usually $1350. Pick up in Los Angeles. I can ship if you really want me to, but it will probably be $300 or so and I need to make a wooden crate / box to ship it out. Would really prefer not to.

โ€‹โ€‹Thanks!
    Last edited by fullyflaredd; 07-28-2024, 05:27 PM.

Trade ya for my spare 4.1?

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post
      Trade ya for my spare 4.1?
      Where were you 2 months ago? I bought a 4.1 lol, I would have loved to trade

Comment

Originally posted by fullyflaredd View Post

Where were you 2 months ago? I bought a 4.1 lol, I would have loved to trade
        ๐Ÿ˜‘ where was the post 2 months ago ๐Ÿ˜‚

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post

๐Ÿ˜‘ where was the post 2 months ago ๐Ÿ˜‚

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Fair enough ๐Ÿ˜‚

โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹โ€‹Probably should have posted before I bought one haha.

Comment

Some updated photos

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240719_190757858.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	272503 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240719_190834950.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	272504 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240719_190823455.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	272505 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240719_190827986.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	272506 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240719_190818884.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	272507 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240719_190803113.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	272508

Comment

Bump! Lots of interest, no payment. $1k if picked up this week. Would like to clear up space.

Comment

$900 bottom price. Come grab it. Everything I see on eBay is 1500+ with stock gearing. Getting sick of seeing car parts laying around the apt haha.

Comment

Geez what a deal. Wish I was local...

Comment

Sold, thanks all!

Comment

Working...
                    X