Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need tips for installing GT Splitter

Hey guys,

I ordered the GT splitter a number of weeks ago, all OEM parts except for a couple of bolts. Wondering someone has done the install and if they have any tips for the installation. I know that I will have to drill some holes in the bumper core support and I have the tools to do so. Just not sure about all the rest of it. Any tips would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Drogo View Post
    Hey guys,

I ordered the GT splitter a number of weeks ago, all OEM parts except for a couple of bolts. Wondering someone has done the install and if they have any tips for the installation. I know that I will have to drill some holes in the bumper core support and I have the tools to do so. Just not sure about all the rest of it. Any tips would be appreciated.
    Bumper supports that are pre-drilled came on most 95 and older cars. Might be worth just looking for a cheap early 3 series bumper.

Comment

The mounting screws on the upper side are countersunk so you'll need to get/borrow a countersink drill head if using your reo (they'll foul and puah up on bumper skin if try using button heads or otherwise) - not any measurements sorry but the centre of the fastener lines up with the edge of bumper skin

Done it on a few cars now and its a case of assembling and measuring about a million times, 20mm-ish hole saw in bottom of reo and then need to line up for upper holes

Hard to explain the process as i never taken any decent photos for this purpose

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Oh and you need to chop reliefs in the bumper, ill try find pics and post them up

Comment

Also need to cut reliefs for the supports in the bumper, ill look for pics and post up

All the shields and ducting fitted as per pic

Comment

Originally posted by Kthree View Post
            The mounting screws on the upper side are countersunk so you'll need to get/borrow a countersink drill head if using your reo (they'll foul and puah up on bumper skin if try using button heads or otherwise) - not any measurements sorry but the centre of the fastener lines up with the edge of bumper skin

Done it on a few cars now and its a case of assembling and measuring about a million times, 20mm-ish hole saw in bottom of reo and then need to line up for upper holes

Hard to explain the process as i never taken any decent photos for this purpose

Very much appreciated. I will have a much better idea of what situation I am in when I take the bumper off. At the moment car is in storage cause Canadian winters a great.

Have you ever had any issues with the splitter tilting forwards? I have a good idea of how that can be adjusted, just wondering about your experience with it.

Also, That build is amazing. Respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Rekpoint View Post

Bumper supports that are pre-drilled came on most 95 and older cars. Might be worth just looking for a cheap early 3 series bumper.
              I will look out for this, thank you. I have a '97 North American Spec M3, maybe my bumper is pre-drilled. I have not yet taken off the core support to have a good view of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Drogo View Post
                Have you ever had any issues with the splitter tilting forwards? I have a good idea of how that can be adjusted, just wondering about your experience with it.

Also, That build is amazing. Respect.
                Havent had an issue that it tilts forward, interested in the adjustment you mentioned though as once its bolted in theres not anything to adjust in that respect. Just thinking that is most likely installer error with mounting hole placement? Unsure

Comment

Was thinking that if something like that would happen, some strategic washer placement would help.

Comment

Once you get it together it'll make more sense that itd be hard shimming it out - need the whole front end off to work out mounting points and get it aligned correctly with the lower lip and 'mustache' corner bits in place

Additionally, and you may not have this issue (US market car i assume?) Is that the centre support fasteners are NLA so i had machined up some copies of mine to use, as the sprung jobs foul quite badly on the oil cooler duct (Pic #2 on right - USDM cars missed out on our euro complications)

Comment

Originally posted by Kthree View Post
                      Also need to cut reliefs for the supports in the bumper, ill look for pics and post up

All the shields and ducting fitted as per pic

What undertray is covering the x-brace and surrounding area? Is it oem?

I've been trying to find a part number, but can't find it in any diagrams on realoem.

Found the part numbers.

Look to only be available in Europe, expecially the larger cover. Would love to get a setin the US for track purposes.

Last edited by Lavatoad; 12-28-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lavatoad View Post
                        What undertray is covering the x-brace and surrounding area? Is it oem?

I've been trying to find a part number, but can't find it in any diagrams on realoem.

Found the part numbers.

Look to only be available in Europe, expecially the larger cover. Would love to get a setin the US for track purposes.
                        Yeah my original oem one, theres 3 pieces; large centre part, rhs is an aluminium shield that goes over the rear lollipop and lhs is a plastic version

Was considering making a crp version as its very specific and quite different from pre mid 95 and post mid 96 versions. In process of building shed etc so its a while off

Comment

Kthree

I did it.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2022-01-29_00-05-30.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	150876 Click image for larger version

Name:	photo_2022-01-29_00-04-13.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	118.3 KB