Are auto M3s even worth buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are auto M3s even worth buying?

Hey y’all, the other day I was looking through ads for a potential second car and I saw a 1995 M3 coupe but has auto transmission. I’ve heard they’re not bad trans but not as exciting as manual (obviously) so like the title says, are they worth buying? I wouldn’t mind doing manual swap later down the road but I want to hear others opinions.

The e36 has a traditional auto so converting it to a manual is a bit of a ball ache. I wouldn't buy one as an auto. E46 is a little different with it being an SMG, there's a certain charm to the SMG if that's what you're into and if not they are a lot easier to convert.

You don't get a very 'M3' experience with an auto s50 e36. But that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoglan View Post
      The e36 has a traditional auto so converting it to a manual is a bit of a ball ache. I wouldn't buy one as an auto. E46 is a little different with it being an SMG, there's a certain charm to the SMG if that's what you're into and if not they are a lot easier to convert.

You don't get a very 'M3' experience with an auto s50 e36. But that's just me.
      Yeah I understand the auto takes the fun away from what’s supposed to be a great sports car. I have currently an E46 M3 with SMG and it’s fun and all but I’ve been eyeing E36s lately and haven’t really been lucky with a decent 328is and they’re going up to 10K as well. I just figured an auto E36 M3 would be kind of nice for a cruiser.

Comment

One thing about an e36 M3 in automatic is theres less of a chance that it was beaten the heck out of. You can't bang gears and its very hard to drift and go sideways. I had one 21 years ago and it was boring compared to the 5 speed that I had. You can always do a manual conversion. Automatics do sell for considerably less than manual ones.

Comment

You can just tell it's horse shit by listening to people attempt to defend their cars with auto, they are trying sooooo hard. I actually test drove one because I thought it can't be THAT bad. But it is. It's exactly what you think a prehistoric slush box will be.

5-speed swap can be done for like $2k or so, double that if you farm it out. So if the car is exactly what you want in every other way... maybe?
          http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
          '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
          '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

I don't see why not. The swap isn't terribly difficult, nor expensive. Historically, the price differences between the two (auto vs 5. speed) affords you the difference to go ahead and buy the swap parts. It really boils down to having the means to do the swap yourself or not.

Comment

Yes, it’s a good auto. Never had any issues. Nonetheless it was swapped to a MT for a little more fun.

Comment

They drive fine. Won't feel like a 'special' car but it's great for a daily. And the option to swap is always there.

Personally if I were in the market I would almost prefer one. Generally not owned by kids/modified poorly, less competition to buy a nice one, and you get the 3.38 diff.

Comment

I bought one before I learned how to drive manual (stupid move) and ended up letting it rot
                  at a shop because I found a 5 speed Techno Violet on Modena. In hindsight, i'd avoid the auto by all means.

Comment

I would think about the evolution of the automatic transmission...which has evolved quite a bit in the last 30 years.

Manual transmissions are essentially the same from the 90's.

Where you live, and how you plan to use it is also important. Daily driver to use for a 3-hour commute in bumper-to-bumper sure doesn't sound fun. Ask me how I know.
                    /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                    X