ugaexploder's 2004 SGM/IR - 1st e46 M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ugaexploder's 2004 SGM/IR - 1st e46 M3

First time e46 m3 owner here. Main goal for me is to restore the car with focus on handling and reliability.

Just picked up the car a couple weeks on 6/24/23 fairly local from a fellow enthusiast. The car has 164k on the clock, and engine was rebuilt around 156k by previous owner. Below is a list of things from the previous owner that had been done under his ownership.

Engine:
    Water pump & thermostat - Borg Warner
    Rear main, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, timing chain guides, misc. gaskets and seals, pulleys, oil filter housing gasket, CPV O-ring
    NGK Spark Plugs
    Delphi Coil packs
    Fuel injectors clean/flow-matched

Engine Rebuild:
    BLOCK:
    OEM Piston Rings
    OEM/Glyco Main bearings
    ARP Main Studs
    ARP Rod Bolts
    VAC Coated Road Bearings
    Cylinder Hone
    New Engine Wiring Harness

HEAD:
    VANOS Rebuild (Biesan)
    Valve Stem Seals
    OEM Head Gasket Kit
    ARP Head Studs
    Valve lash adjustment (wiseco shim kit)
    Timing Guides/tensioner/gaskets
    Valve job, valve stem seals, deck milling

Transmission:
    SMG-to-6spd manual conversion with Lang Racing bell housing modification
    Transmission input shaft seal
    OEM shifter assembly
    OEM shift boot and knob
    OEM pedal assembly and hydraulics
    UUC Trans mount
    Coding/tuning done by Solo Motorsports

Brakes:
    StopTech Slotted Front Rotors w/ Sport Pads
    StopTech Rear Rotors w/ Street Pads
    Bimmerworld SS brake lines
    Pentosin DOT 4 fluid

General Maintenance:
    Complete AC system O-ring replacement
    AC receiver/drier and recharge
    Fuel system cleaned, fuel filter
    OE pressure regulator
    OEM dipstick and fuel cap
    Window seals and windshield cowl
    Oil changes with Redline 10w60 & Mann filters
    Interstate AGM Battery
    OEM radiator
    OEM throttle pedal (manual)
    OEM voltage regulator
    OEM fuel pump
    Bosch Alternator
    Bosch power steering pump
    OEM diff bushings with OEM diff cover
    Diff fluid service with new drain/fill plugs

Day 1
    First day, made it home on a roughly 2 hour drive back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	front quarter 19.jpg Views:	0 Size:	168.8 KB ID:	224098

Click image for larger version  Name:	rear.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	224099
    Last edited by ugaexploder; 02-04-2024, 03:10 PM.
    /// 2004 SGM/IR - Build Thread

Some pictures that were shared to me from previous owner of the engine rebuild. I think he did a great job, and the motor runs awesome. It did throw a code when I was there and he mentioned that I would need to change the VANOS solenoid soon. Have one on order from Beisan and it looks like a simple process. Car actually cut off on me a few times so I turned the AC off and it ran without issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	engine rebuild_1.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	224102

Name:	engine rebuild_2.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	224103

Name:	engine rebuild_5.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	224104

Name:	engine rebuild_11.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	224105

Name:	engine rebuild_4.jpg
Views:	653
Size:	173.5 KB
ID:	224106

Name:	engine rebuild_6.jpg
Views:	641
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	224107

Name:	engine rebuild_7.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	224108

Name:	engine rebuild_8.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	224109

Name:	engine rebuild_10.jpg
Views:	635
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	224110

Name:	engine rebuild_3.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	224111

Name:	engine rebuild_9.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	224112

Name:	engine rebuild_12.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	224113

Comment

Have a bunch of parts on order...I tend to try and finish projects as fast as I can which isn't great for my wallet or other hobbies. While I'm waiting for parts, here are a few things I did just to pass the time.

I know it's not much but I have some nice things coming in the future. My first priority is to take care of the subframe. The bump stop in the rear looks pretty bad so I decided the first thing I would do along with SF reinforcement would be of course changing out bushings and mounts, but also going to tackle suspension...which may "bleed" into wheel/tires...which will then "bleed" into brakes. It's all just money and time I guess.

Traded a local fellow enthusiast for his 18" style 67's. May end up trying to save some money and acquire a couple more rear wheels to go square setup on factory 67's. Not sure...need to consult some of the local guys who know way more about setups to make a decision.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rear quarter 18.jpg Views:	0 Size:	174.4 KB ID:	224115
      Click image for larger version  Name:	front quarter 18.jpg Views:	0 Size:	167.7 KB ID:	224116

Looks like the side grills are some aftermarket ones...well, the logos had faded and bubbled pretty bad so I replaced those.

Click image for larger version  Name:	new side emblem.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.2 KB ID:	224117

Car didn't have any floor mats so ordered some new ones from weathertech. I've always like their floorliners.

Click image for larger version  Name:	driver interior.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.0 KB ID:	224118

Comment

Got my car back from a local shop about 2 months ago to do the following work:

Installed Redish V3 SF Plates
        Installed Practical R&D Vincebar
        ​Installed new diff
        Installed new driveshaft
        Changed all bushings/mounts (annoyed I didn't take care of the CV boots...)
        Installed Ohlins R&T
        Changed diff fluid
        Changed brake fluid
        Installed New AC Compressor
        Installed New Steering Rack
        Installed New Wheel Bearings
        Installed New Tie Rods
        Installed Beisan VANOS solenoid
        New Wheels and Tires

​The tech who turned the wrench did an awesome job. I felt like they could have done a better job at communicating...it was an expensive bill. Thankfully, the car is back in the garage so I can take over from here with the easy stuff.

Comment

I thought the intermittent stalling issue was fixed with the new AC compressor since it was driving beautifully all the way home, then of course on the lip getting in to my garage...I stalled. I basically spent hours upon hours trying to figure out what the hell is going on and it dawned on me that a lot of these SMG-to-6spd conversions have the same issues. The problem is that most of this information is scattered across the internet, which can make it frustrating to put the pieces together.

I noticed there were a couple different ways of wiring out to pin 20 on the DME and it was based on whether or not a gear identification switch (23-14-2-229-113) was installed during the conversion. I figured this would be the first thing I would tackle once on jack stands. I think it's all sorted out now, after making some changes to the .bin file, checking to make sure SMG was coded out, etc. There were definitely some speedbumps here and there, but so much of it is due to variations between models, where the information is coming from whether it's a stock car, or engine swap, and even more variables. I come from the electrical testing world, where you absolutely need to verify contractor work.

Name:	IMG_4044.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	196.0 KB
ID:	236147
          Attached Files

Comment

When I went to take a look at how the clutch was wired, I noticed the wiring looked okay but the switch was unidentifable. No part number or anything, it just 20M Italy 314 on one side, and >PA66 GF30< on the other. Replaced it with the black 61-31-9-122-700 switch.

Name:	clutchSwitchWiring_2.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	236155
            Attached Files

Comment

I've been working at a snail's pace just due to a combination of having to go out of town during the week for work, waiting on parts, and trying not to get too into the weeds with this car.

I was able to source some amber tail lights, since I've seen some other members have some on their SG and it looks great. While I was waiting on parts to finish the exhaust system, I changed the front sway bar and end links, rear sway end links, new headlight level sensors front and back with new brackets or bushings.

Name:	amberCornerSide.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	236159
              Attached Files

Comment

Below are some pictures of the CPI headers side-by-side with the SS V1's. To be honest, I feel quite dumb for even starting this endeavor. Mainly because the car sounded pretty good already and i was happy with the headers. But I was able to snag sections 1-3 for a great deal so I said screw it, let's go slip-on!

Name:	ssV1headersInstalled.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	236165
                Attached Files

Comment

Car's been apart for over a month now which sucks but I don't imagine it will be like this in the future. There were many missing components that I found my constantly jumping on FCP euro to order parts. Or even something simple as the camshaft position sensor leaking on the exhaust side, tools to do CPV, or finding the bushings for the headlight level sensor completely gone.

Section 1's were clamped down a bit tight making it really difficult to slip them on to the headers so I am just waiting on a 1/2" drive 1-1/8" impact socket to use a pipe expander to make my life easier. I didn't want to be that guy driving with open headers to an exhaust shop...

In the meantime, my trusty minivan and m40i has me farting around town.

Name:	x3frontLeftQuarter.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	236170
                  Last edited by ugaexploder; 10-01-2023, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ugaexploder View Post
                    I've been working at a snail's pace just due to a combination of having to go out of town during the week for work, waiting on parts, and trying not to get too into the weeds with this car.

I was able to source some amber tail lights, since I've seen some other members have some on their SG and it looks great. While I was waiting on parts to finish the exhaust system, I changed the front sway bar and end links, rear sway end links, new headlight level sensors front and back with new brackets or bushings.

Name:	amberCornerSide.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	236159
                    Ambers on SG all day
                    2003.5 E46 M3 Silver Grey/Cinnamon

MCS - Vorshlag Plates - SSv1- SS Dual 2.5" Sec.2 - SS (Hamann) Street Sec.3 - 3.91 Gears - BBS E88s - 996 Brembo - PSMax - SDW Monoball - VinceBar - DMG - Haimus CSL - Karbonius - HTE Tuning - AEM 50-1200

http://www.instagram.com/sid_e46/
                    Journal: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...grey-speed-run

Comment

Originally posted by Sid_E46 View Post

Ambers on SG all day
                      Got the inspiration from you bro!

Comment

Nice car!! Just seeing this build thread for the first time. Hope to see it in person sometime.
                        Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

Appreciate it man, will do my best to make it to the next one. Really hoping I can get the CF roof installed before the next group drive 💪💪💪

Comment

Carbon roof is gonna be dope!!! It's just such a kick ass mod.
                            Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

Comment

having a hard time finding a body shop willing to take it on for less than 3500…thinking about tackling myself but still unsure 😅…not really a body guy, novice at electrical and can swap parts but i feel out of my element doing body work

Comment

Working...
                              X