Casa de Mesa’s M3 color change from blue to blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Casa de Mesa’s M3 color change from blue to blue

In the early 2000s when the E46 M3s started hitting race tracks, I saw a Laguna Seca Blue M3 ripping around Road Atlanta. Shortly thereafter, another one was doing the same at Summit Point. And then another at VIR. For a stock car on street tires, it absolutely blew me away how fast it was on track. Although I wasn’t driving on track at the same time, watching it on track was a sight to behold. That blue M&M colored car was so much fun to watch.

And so began my fascination with LSB and the E46 M3.

Fast forward to 2012, I began my search for an LSB M3. I found and almost bought 2 separate cars. The 2nd one popped up for sale on BMW CCA’s classifieds and I called the day it appeared. I was very close to agreeing on a price when the buyer said he was "flooded with requests over the past week at the $26k listed price" so was going to take the car down for sale and reevaluate his pricing. I never saw it for sale again.

After failing multiple attempts to find an LSB car (which were already fetching $4-6k above comparable non-LSB colored M3s), and after about 8 months of searching, I found a low mileage (35k) and well-cared for 2003 Topaz Blue M3. I started my pre-purchase forensics on the car and determined that I had found a car I couldn’t pass up:
    • The first owner was a woman who sold the car because of hip replacement – she could no longer operate the clutch.
    • I had a friend at BMW pull the service records and found the rear diff was replaced under warranty because it was “noisy”.
    • Rod bearing were replaced under warranty.
    • The 2nd owner had done some mods to the car, including getting the subframe reinforced by Piper Motorsports in NoVa. I knew Piper Motorsports from racing so felt good about the job being done right.
    • Camshaft bolts were replaced.
    • I had a PPI done by Road Race Technologies/RRT Racing in NoVa that came back extremely positive. “One of the cleanest M3’s we’ve ever seen.”

So despite my fascination with LSB, I bought this car. I shortly thereafter took it on a rally (hence the decal):

Click image for larger version  Name:	M3 2013.png Views:	4 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	145282

I’ll create a proper build thread, there is much more to come. Over the past 9 years of ownership, I’ve done a lot to this car. I’ll document that all. The chassis is mint – zero rust, zeros issues.

But for the moment and jumping to current day, here is the decision I’m wrestling with currently. I took these pics yesterday after getting back from a paint shop. I’m doing a full color change of the car. Originally, I was going to respray it LSB, but after some gentle nudges from this community and friends, “Why not paint it a color that you couldn’t buy from BMW” was the suggestion that kept coming up. This makes a whole bunch of sense to me.

The final two colors in the running:
    My cell phone has done a miserable job catching the light, but these are the colors in the running. In all of these pics, Voodoo Blue is on the left, Shark Blue is on the right. Both of these are Porsche colors, but only Voodoo Blue is currently offered by BMW (code P7L). My strong preference is Shark Blue, despite not currently being a BMW-offered color.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211222_140656.jpg Views:	4 Size:	97.1 KB ID:	145274
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211222_140714.jpg Views:	4 Size:	70.2 KB ID:	145275
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211222_140021.jpg Views:	4 Size:	131.5 KB ID:	145276
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211222_140243.jpg Views:	4 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	145277
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211222_140154.jpg Views:	4 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	145278
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211222_140228.jpg Views:	4 Size:	166.1 KB ID:	145279
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20211222_140353.jpg Views:	4 Size:	82.9 KB ID:	145280

I’ve spent months (heck, years) agonizing over this decision. I’ve visited dealers. I’ve hit the BMW and Porsche “Individual” color configurator sites. I’ve found nearly every photo Google has indexed for “BMW + blue”. Shark Blue ticks all the right boxes for me.

Shark Blue - dumb name, awesome color (IMHO)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Shark_Blue_992_GT3_001_MA909764-1024x577.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	145283
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Shark Blue 3.jpg Views:	4 Size:	230.6 KB ID:	145284

Other blues I considered from the BMW family:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BMW Individual Colors - light blues.jpg Views:	4 Size:	122.5 KB ID:	145271
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BMW Individual Colors - bright blues.jpg Views:	4 Size:	124.3 KB ID:	145272
    Click image for larger version  Name:	BMW Individual Colors - darker blues.jpg Views:	4 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	145273

I’ve found a partner in a local shop and will certainly post who that is once this moves forward a little more. I’m confident I found the right partner for this project.

Soooo… much more to come on this build thread. I have parts on the way, although it’s been a bit challenging with the supply chain issues currently facing the world over.

Wish me luck.
    -Casa

EDIT: Dec 12, 2022 - just shy of 20 days to one year later and jumping straight to the punchline, here is how the car sits today:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20221016_161840.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.4 KB ID:	195756

Click image for larger version  Name:	rear three quarter barn.jpg Views:	0 Size:	293.3 KB ID:	195759

/EDIT: Dec 12, 2022​
    Last edited by Casa de Mesa; 01-07-2023, 01:13 AM.
    Build thread: Topaz Blue to Shark Blue

I still think you would like the Topaz a lot more if you just had a good paint correction done. That paint is horrible! 😲
    2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

Glad to see you got a build thread going. Excited to see how this progresses!
      2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Definitely Shark Blue... should have been a factory color IMO... over Imola or Cinnamon that would have been an instant classic BMW.

maw

PS... I never understood Topaz Blue in this car. It seemed like "Noncommittal Blue" to me. LSB, Avus Blue, even Carbon Black, those I understand. They had that funk. But Topaz? Nah didn't get it. But most people don't get a TiAG car, so there's that. It's "Anti Statement Silver."
        Last edited by maw1124; 12-23-2021, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Dawg View Post
          I still think you would like the Topaz a lot more if you just had a good paint correction done. That paint is horrible! 😲
          You are entitled to your opinion.

Buddy, for me it ain't about the quality of the paint on this car, which I bought in this condition. It presents better in person and it's under a florescent light in that shot. Is the paint perfect? No, as I have said. Is it horrible? I suppose here again you and your opinion may think different, but I'd still answer "no".

What this is about is the color of the car. So while I appreciate the sentiment and concern, it ain't changing my mind.

Comment

In there like swimwear brother, subbed for this.

Paint color is incredibly difficult to convey accurately on a monitor hence every render I've seen like those on the m4 are so horribly inaccurate I'd not even consider looking at them.
            2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Do what you want!

will be fun to follow
              DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
              /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
              More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Following!!

and +1 on LSB fascination
                Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post
                  Glad to see you got a build thread going. Excited to see how this progresses!
                  Thanks man! Me too! 😂

Originally posted by maw1124 View Post
                  Definitely Shark Blue... should have been a factory color IMO... over Imola or Cinnamon that would have been an instant classic BMW.
                  I cycled through all the blues above (plus a whole hell of a lot more), went to dealerships to find some of these colors in person, eventually settled on Voodoo and was committed to it. Then I saw what turned out to be a Shark Blue 911. It's lighter or "whiter" than Voodoo. In the blues that are bright as I'm looking at, what I'm really looking for is high contrast. I have always loved black trim on certain colors. It seems to highlight the shape of the car's body more. I know the trend nowadays is to bring back chrome OEM grills, but on some colors I still like black. Gloss black. Shark Blue is one of them.

Originally posted by jet_dogg View Post
                  Paint color is incredibly difficult to convey accurately on a monitor hence every render I've seen like those on the m4 are so horribly inaccurate I'd not even consider looking at them.
                  So true. I tried so many angles taking photos yesterday, looking at my phone, adjusting the angle and settings on the phone, took another photo, repeat 10x. I could never get the camera to capture what I was seeing with my eyes. And these blues are so bright, it's really hard.

I'll try to take some photos at some point with my wife's Canon DSLR. She's way better with color than I am.

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
                  Do what you want!

will be fun to follow
                  Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post
                  Following!!

and +1 on LSB fascination
                  Thanks! Can't wait to dive into this over the Christmas break.

Comment

Shark blue kinda looks like ford grabber blue
                    Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

That gt3 pic looks like its at the top of mulholland.

Of the two I think I prefer voodoo personally, both look nice though.
                      2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Casa de Mesa View Post

You are entitled to your opinion.

Buddy, for me it ain't about the quality of the paint on this car, which I bought in this condition. It presents better in person and it's under a florescent light in that shot. Is the paint perfect? No, as I have said. Is it horrible? I suppose here again you and your opinion may think different, but I'd still answer "no".

What this is about is the color of the car. So while I appreciate the sentiment and concern, it ain't changing my mind.
                        Old scratched paint looks lifeless, cloudy and dull. Before starting a crazy project like this, I would have at least done some test spots to see what's actually there now.

But off the bat, I'm also generally opposed to color changes. However, it sounds like you'll be doing it right and so I'll be following along and looking forward to the final product, as I'm sure it will look awesome.

On my screen, I think my preference is Voodoo because it's deeper and seems more fitting to the E46, but if you didn't have them next to each other, I'm sure they would be tough to tell apart. Both are bonkers.

I read that VW Cornflower is the same as Shark?

Good luck!

Shark vs Voodoo

2003 Imola Red M3 w/ SMG

Comment

No love for Miami?

Comment

Old scratched paint looks lifeless, cloudy and dull. Before starting a crazy project like this, I would have at least done some test spots to see what's actually there now.
                            I get that. And agree. But the car has always looked this way to me. I had to convince myself the foundation and structure outweighed the carpet and wallpaper when I bought it. I've always had a respray of this car in my mind, just never thought I'd actually pull the trigger on it...

But off the bat, I'm also generally opposed to color changes. However, it sounds like you'll be doing it right and so I'll be following along and looking forward to the final product, as I'm sure it will look awesome.
                            I know I'm swimming against the current with this respray. I am planning on doing my best to ensure it's as good as it can be.

Both are bonkers.

I read that VW Cornflower is the same as Shark?

Good luck!

Shark vs Voodoo

Ha! I have that same photo and forgot which was which at one point. They are truly bonkers and love it because of that. Funny thing is, I'm usually not a loud color car owner but for some reason on the E46 M3, I'm completely drawn to the bright colors.

Yeah Porsche being Porsche of course couldn't lift a color from lowly Vee-Dub and call it the same color and expect people to be ok with it. It's the identical formulation on Glasurit's site, yet it's a different paint code and color name.

Comment

Originally posted by mtpktz View Post
                              No love for Miami?

I do like it! Just don't love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X