Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13 BMW M3 No Sound new factory radio, amp, and left dr spk (BUT TOUCHSCREEN WORKS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13 BMW M3 No Sound new factory radio, amp, and left dr spk (BUT TOUCHSCREEN WORKS)

Hey all,

I have a 2013 BMW M3 Audio (No Sound) after water got in the trunk and supposedly fried the amp... I turned this into my auto insurance and got it covered and had a shop replace the radio (new from BMW), amp (new from BMW), and left driver side speaker (which smoked so bad it looked like it was going to catch fire). Even after that speaker fried I still had audio to everything else up until I pulled the radio fuse, took it into the shop, the guy replaced everything and put it back together. The radio itself works, touch screen works, I see navigation option but can't select it, and there is literally no sound from the radio, CD/DVD, door chime, key chime, NOTHING.

I was curious if anyone ever ran into this before and if there is an easy fix that I could maybe try before biting the bullet and getting ready to unload my wallet and take it to BMW?

Thanks in advanced!

I had this problem, or a similar one, with my 2012 hifi (middle range, base for m3). Sound just wouldn't come out for anything. I replaced the amp, didn't fix it. Fuses, none blown. Even reset the radio with software. Ended up having a friend (engineer) use special equipment to "see" the sound in the wiriing and we discovered the radio, despite working fine, just wasn't putting out audio signal along the analogue outs. Bought a used radio from the same year and stereo (676) off ebay and that did it.
    DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
    /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
    More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by Tbonem3 View Post
      I had this problem, or a similar one, with my 2012 hifi (middle range, base for m3). Sound just wouldn't come out for anything. I replaced the amp, didn't fix it. Fuses, none blown. Even reset the radio with software. Ended up having a friend (engineer) use special equipment to "see" the sound in the wiriing and we discovered the radio, despite working fine, just wasn't putting out audio signal along the analogue outs. Bought a used radio from the same year and stereo (676) off ebay and that did it.
      Dang..... I am still learning about the car, pretty sure it is HIFI system..... I know the part for the radio said individual audio system but everything else I see online references HIFI....

Was the radio you had the original radio or was it a new one? The radio that I have that was put in was a REMAN direct from BMW..... So one would think that it isn't bad but it is an electronic so there is a chance of that. I will say the tech that gave it back to me said he seen an "open signal" in the speaker wiring coming from somewhere but he wasn't sure where at. Since this was covered by my auto insurance due to a "weather" even I'm saying screw it at this point and taking it to the BMW dealership..... As long as it is something that wasn't workmanship they'll pay for it. I was just trying to see if anyone ran into something simple to fix it before driving 2 hours, dropping it off for god knows how long (after not having it almost two months to get to this point), and I literally bought the car, enjoyed it for 2 weeks after waiting 15-16 years to do so, and this crap lol.

Comment

At least on my car (no iDrive), the “HiFi” system has 5V analog outputs from the head unit to the power amp. I think the “Individual” system uses a digital (fiber) connection between the head unit and whatever’s next in the chain. If you have an Individual head unit but the rest of the system is HiFi, that might explain the problem.
        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
        Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
        Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Good point, you can't mix the analogue hifi with the fiber optic "top-hifi" aka logic 7 aka harmon kardon

My radio (this was a single hump car, so yes "hifi" stereo like yours, but no nav screen, just business radio) was original yes. The one I replaced it with seemed original to the donor car as well. Both 2012s with reasonable mileage.
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
            At least on my car (no iDrive), the “HiFi” system has 5V analog outputs from the head unit to the power amp. I think the “Individual” system uses a digital (fiber) connection between the head unit and whatever’s next in the chain. If you have an Individual head unit but the rest of the system is HiFi, that might explain the problem.

Well I guess if the head unit is wrong then the dealer sent me the wrong one lol. The one they sent is: Part Number: 65129224373 - https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/437...129224373.html

Amp: https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/p/BMW...relatedProduct
            Part Number: 65128054808

Speaker: MID-RANGE SPEAKER INDIVIDUAL AUDIO

Part Number: 65137838905
            Genuine BMW Part # 65128054808 (65-12-8-054-808, 65127846908, 65127847666, 65127850091, 65127851364) - Amplifier for Individual Audio System. Wagon, Ed. Ships from BMW Northwest, Tacoma WA

I did look at the old amplifier and it had the part # 65127850091 on it which shows that it is an old part number for the individual audio system (and everything worked before on it). Herre is the old radio that was removed...... To compare to the new one with the part number I sent. I don't know a lot about these cars yet.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220610_140646.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	171619

Name:	20220610_140657.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	171620

Name:	20220610_140650.jpg