Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GB: Aluminum Undertrays E9x M3 by Euro Parts Power Motorsports and POW3R Motorsports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GB: Aluminum Undertrays E9x M3 by Euro Parts Power Motorsports and POW3R Motorsports

Hi all! We recently received Aluminum Undertrays from POW3R Motorsports for the E9x M3 and looking to pass them on to our fellow group members with a promo code! You may use E9XM3OWNERS during check-out and we will provide you a discount ($40 off) and upgrade your shipping to 2nd Day Air! *please choose ground shipping during check-out*

These undertrays are constructed from 2mm 5251 Aluminum, powder coated in a satin black finish. These undertrays are designed to withstand increased levels of protection, and reduce oil temps while on track. The rubber trim on the undertrays cooling aperture seals onto the OEM plastic cooling shroud, drawing heat away from the oil cooler through the effects of venturi.

If you have any questions, please feel free to DM me or post in the comments. Thanks!

What’s it weigh? Does it come with hardware?
    11 E90 M3 Alpine White
    96 FJ80 Black
    05 E46 M3 Carbon Black: (sold)
    86 Porsche 944 Turbo Guards Red, 320 whp: (sold)
    89 E30 Touring Alpine White, S52 swapped: (sold)
    02 E46 M3 Steel Grey: (sold)

Comment

Website states 6lbs. Anyone know how much the stock weighs?

Stock: 1.7 lbs
      AM: 6 lbs
      Last edited by Dash1; 03-02-2023, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I've torn up my stock undertray a bunch of times. What I haven't torn up is the bumper. And TBH I wonder if that's part of why the stock pieces are fragile – i.e. to break before damaging the bumper.

Also, this one (like some other aftermarket ones) seems to be completely flat on the bottom whereas the stock piece has some shaping to it. I guess being flat mitigates the damage risk somewhat, but there must be some aero effects involved, no?

Seems like there's also a weight penalty this, per Dash1.

And you can buy the stock pieces from FCP Euro and have them replaced when they break.

I doubt this mod is a good idea. Happy to be convinced otherwise if I'm wrong.
        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
        Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
        Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

I, too, contemplated one of these or another brand's (I've seen like 4), but saw a similar concern about damage to bumper or liners. I need all 3 pieces, so it was tempting. In the end, I've bought two new corner pieces, and I'm going to attempt to fix my stock tray with flex seal tape (idea from an e90post member) before shelling $220 on aother one that may very well break again in short order.

I was also concerned with possible negative effect on aero and cooling since all thee aftermarket pieces are flat, and sit higher versus the factory which is a bit lower and is curved. None of these companies, understandably, are going to put their product in a wind tunnel. Though some have said there are cooler oil temps reported. I don't see how that's possible, but you know...
          DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
          /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
          More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
            I've torn up my stock undertray a bunch of times. What I haven't torn up is the bumper. And TBH I wonder if that's part of why the stock pieces are fragile – i.e. to break before damaging the bumper.

Also, this one (like some other aftermarket ones) seems to be completely flat on the bottom whereas the stock piece has some shaping to it. I guess being flat mitigates the damage risk somewhat, but there must be some aero effects involved, no?

Seems like there's also a weight penalty this, per Dash1.

And you can buy the stock pieces from FCP Euro and have them replaced when they break.

I doubt this mod is a good idea. Happy to be convinced otherwise if I'm wrong.
            We have the same issues on the E9x M3 undertrays.

This E9x M3 skidplate is as light as OEM - but there are many on the market that are much heavier than stock.

This isn't heavy enough to tear the bumper. It's purely bolted to the fender liner and bumper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	REC01378.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	208255
            Click image for larger version

Name:	REC01304.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	208256

Comment

One problem with the oil cooler opening design. Its flat.

It is the flow under car that draws air through the cooler, not the flow through the cooler. You need to lower the air pressure on the backside of the cooler. The OEM part has a gurney flap in front and a rounded back edge on the oil cooler opening which improves air extraction behind the cooler and improves oil cooling. I'm not an expert but I'd have to guess that outer OE parts sit lower to manage airflow around the tires.

All of the flat plates except for the turner part are flat on the bottom which reduces the extraction of high pressure air above the plate. The turner part incorporates a gurney flap and angled back edge to improve extraction of high pressure air behind the oil cooler to the low pressure region under the car. Thus, flow is improved through the oil cooler which improves cooling performance.

Comment

Working...
              X