Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discussion: Why don't coilover kits come with flat ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion: Why don't coilover kits come with flat ride?

Continuing some of the discussion from this thread: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1695988

To prevent this post from being even wordier than it is, I’m assuming people have a basic understanding of flat ride, how it’s achieved, its benefits, and related concepts like ride frequency.

The above thread started with a simple question: Why is flat ride nonexistent among off-the-shelf coilover kits? Even for kits that let you specify your spring rates, the recommended and popular spring rates are never flat ride. And this seems to be true regardless of how street- or track-oriented the kit is. Ride frequencies always end up higher in front than in rear. No consensus in the aftermarket is that complete without good reasons, and any good reason is worth seeking.

To be clear, this post is not about "the answer" per se. I haven't found anything like a sufficient all-in-one-place explanation by an authoritative source, and while I'd love to read one, I don't expect one any time soon. The point is to try to lay out and discuss some of the dynamics that could explain the trend, largely because those dynamics are interesting in themselves. Hopefully we can generate some robust and respectful discussion on this stuff here.

I also do not mean to present myself as an expert on these topic. I'm an amateur like anyone else, trying to understand this stuff both for practical purposes (deciding on my own setup) and out of curiosity.

The thread linked above has some solid discussion on this topic. I’m incorporating some of that along with some stuff I’ve come across recently in the hopes that we can continue the conversation here.

1. Track-oriented cars tend to sacrifice flat ride, and not without reason

A lot of the discussion so far has focused on the fact that most E9x M3s that are fast on track tend to run higher ride frequencies in front than in rear. The reason could be any combination of:
    • More front roll stiffness for faster transitions and better exit traction (don’t want to rely too much on the sway bar for this);
    • More support under braking; and/or
    • More stable front aero performance (front aero tends to be highly pitch-sensitive).
    This is relevant because all coilover kits for this car are developed largely at tracks (or, in the case of the cheaper brands, copied from those who do the real development). You can compensate for a lack of flat ride with damping, but there’s no way for flat-ride springs and passive dampers to mimic most of the advantages of more forward-biased ride frequencies. Thus, forward-biased ride frequencies often win.

2. Spring rates vs. front roll couple percentage (FRC %)

FRC % is basically how much of the car’s total roll stiffness (resistance to roll) is handled by the front axle. All else equal, increasing the FRC % increases understeer, and decreasing it shifts the handling balance toward oversteer. Because any responsible coilover manufacturer would want to be careful about adding too much oversteer, they probably want to avoid a significant decrease in FRC % vs. stock. In fact, because stiffer springs tend to produce sharper limit behavior, they may want to increase FRC % to retain a sufficient understeer bias.

I’m not sure what the FRC % is for our cars on stock suspension, but the exact number doesn’t matter here. What matters is that the rear springs contribute more roll stiffness than the front springs while the front sway bar contributes more roll stiffness than the rear bar, so the effects at least partly cancel each other out. This means FRC % has an interesting relationship to spring stiffness.

Let’s say you stiffen your front and rear springs by the same percentage without touching the sway bars. The bars are contributing just as much roll stiffness as before, but stiffening the springs has raised total roll stiffness. This means the bars (and thus their forward-biased stiffness ratio) account for a smaller slice of that total, while the ride frequencies (and thus their rearward-biased stiffness ratio) account for a bigger slice. The net effect is a lower FRC %.

You can see this if you tinker with a decent suspension spreadsheet. It doesn’t have to be E9x M3 specific. I like Fat Cat Motorsports’s Ride Harmony spreadsheets (E46 M3 version here). Make up some easy spring rate numbers as a baseline, and then increase the front and rear spring rates by the same percentage while keeping everything else constant. As you do, you’ll see FRC % decreasing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	1.png Views:	3 Size:	31.5 KB ID:	49047

However, if you increase spring rates much more in front than in rear, you can keep FRC % from dipping too low without touching sway bars:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2.png Views:	3 Size:	11.6 KB ID:	49048

Kind of looks like an E9x M3 coilover kit now, doesn’t it? (much bigger increase at the front than at the back)

3. Lowering the front suspension increases body roll

This effect has been described ad nauseum, so I won’t pretend I can do better. The point is that when you lower the front suspension, as most people who buy coilovers will do, you need more front roll stiffness just to get body roll back to its old level, let alone to reduce it. And if you have to achieve that without necessarily changing sway bars – as coilover kits do – that adds to the need for stiffer front springs.

4. A flat-ride coilover kit would probably be harder to sell, especially as a mass-market off-the-shelf item

One option would be to raise spring rates minimally over stock to preserve flat ride without reducing FRC % too much. Can't imagine too many people would want to spend coilover money for stock-like spring rates.

Another option would be to either require an aftermarket front sway bar or incorporate one into the kit. Much more plausible, but more expensive and/or restrictive for reasons that most people would need explained to them.

And either way, it’d require buyers to accept more brake dive and possibly less lowering.

Shaikh Ahmad of Fat Cat Motorsports, the guy who is generally seen as the standard bearer for flat ride in the aftermarket, is sort of the exception that proves the rule. He builds flat ride kits all day... each of which is customized in every detail (spring rates, damper valving, bump stops, ride heights, etc.) to each particular car and its expected usage via a highly individualized consultation process. By the time customers find him, they probably either already like the flat ride principle or just believe in his expertise. If they have any questions or reservations remaining, the consultation process gives Shaikh a chance to educate them and earn their buy-in. Each kit can be optimized for a relatively narrowly defined set of parameters. The custom damper valving can have a significant impact on the performance of the kit, and can also facilitate side benefits like lower friction and more compliance in the dampers. And of course you pay more for the privilege. Very different situation from an off-the-shelf kit that's supposed to work as a one-and-done mod in a wide variety of cars and use cases.

Summary (so far)

If all of this is correct, it might be enough on its own to explain the lack of flat ride among coilover kits. The idea would be that coilover manufacturers want to make sure their kits:
    1. Offer perceptible (and/or merely perceived) handling improvements;
    2. Are ready for some kind of track usage;
    3. Can offer benefits regardless of lowering (within reason);
    4. Don’t need aftermarket sway bars; and
    5. Don’t unnecessarily increase oversteer.
    The only way to do all of this is by running higher ride frequencies in front than in rear. This of course sacrifices flat ride, but they can still avoid excess pitching by speccing their dampers accordingly.

The flip side is that if you’re willing to swap in a stiffer front sway bar, not lower the car much, and tolerate a bit more brake dive, it should be possible to get great handling (at least for the street) with a flat ride setup, and thus reap the related ride quality benefits. Hopefully we'll eventually get to see whether that pans out in practice for this platform.
    Last edited by IamFODI; 08-23-2020, 03:27 PM.
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Do we have all the info to make a E9x m3 spreadsheet?

Comment

Originally posted by tdott View Post
      We can do an okay job with what we have, but we need bump stop measurements and sway bar motion ratios to get to the level of an FCM worksheet. We also can’t really understand the stock setup without those (especially the front bump stops). I got the impression that the stock bump stops might complicate things considerably; if I understood correctly from Barry at 3DM, he said their effective spring rate likely depends on how hard you hit them.
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Hey IamFODI - very good post and assessment of various points related to why many aftermarket kits come with spring rates that produce pitch. I will mention a few point that I disagree with, based on my experience and also that of my race-winning customers (who care about aero grip, how the car behaves when lowered, and - ultimately - top podium results).

First, the Elite solutions I create aren't 'narrowly optimized.' More accurately, the initial work I do with a customer is to assess their specific needs and craft a solution (vs. off-the-shelf parts) to their needs. WHEN we begin with Flat Ride, then any future changes to spring rate, vehicle weight, tire grip, aero, etc. are more-easily accounted for as you can easily go up 10-20% on wheel rate and will have a well-damped / well-controlled vehicle.

When you start with pitch, then the dampers are always ATTEMPTING to control the secondary oscillations and they are simply not able to do that. It's like walking up an escalator, but worse - sure, you can eventually get to the top, but you're sweaty, frustrated, and could have just flipped it the other direction to make your life smoother and easier.

The TIRES absolutely care about the oscillations being induced. Mech Engr's love to talk about 'contact patch load variation' and that really is what it's all about. A tire that experiences sudden pitching oscillations due to the spring rate choice will vary the load, and give the driver more feedback through butt and steering wheel - the driver then has to compensate, usually by backing off input / countersteering. This results speed and slows the car. When you're nervous, or the tires are nervous, you're both going slower and less confident in the setup.

As to why aftermarket vendors choose pitch, we can certainly surmise reasons - I think it's extremely disingenuous for them to NEGLECT that changing one part of the suspension affects multiple aspects of ride and / or handling. To act like each part can be 'swapped' independently is treating the customers like fools. It's a ridiculous practice that needs to be called out, instead of supported or excused. This is why they stopped using .. let's say .. certain additives in our diet .. once it was clear they were harming us.

The choice of bump stops (where the front bump stop is firmer than the rear) is EASY to include when designing for Flat Ride - the factory does it!

Also, at least for earlier BMWs the anti-dive is very good so you have no NEED to run extremely high front spring rates to deal with dive. On the E9x, F3x, etc. I'm unsure what's been assessed but having worked on those platforms they are composed without required excessive spring rates. Camber plates solve a lot of issues when it comes to body roll / camber loss. The front bar upgrades are reasonable - we're not talking Ground Control Tubular Race bars!

It's VERY important to keep in mind that on a STOCK E90 M3, the front bar contributes 52% of the total roll stiffness! The OE front springs 10%, OE rear springs 12%, and OE rear bar 25% of the total roll stiffness!
        I'm neglecting bump stop contributions which also play a role in cases of mild-to-heavy-cornering. But this FACT illustrates that the front bar ALREADY has a vital role and maintaining a ~50-55% contribution of the front bar when changing spring rates to keep the car neutral and in a neutral FRC range is just SENSIBLE!

The factory does it right - why doesn't the aftermarket?Maybe cause the aftermarket is more governed by desire for fast profits, brand promotion, and assuming the least from the customer base, vs. science and empowering customers to make intelligent choices.

From my experience having initially made the track/race-oriented setups with pitch 'because that's just what you do, yo!', then - in the pursuit of faster lap-times (and better ride quality, if possible) you get a FASTER and SMOOTHER car when you allow the Fast Settling response that comes with Flat Ride spring rate tuning.

BTW, Porsches ALL have Flat Ride in OE and the vast majority of their aftermarket setups. I think there's some major disconnect with people when designing suspensions between those makes, and the difference in weight bias or engine location is NOT a valid justification to make a BMW suspension with pitch, and a Porsche suspension with Flat Ride.

From my experience now, having done both pitch and Flat Ride, the final answer to the question 'why don't coilover kits come with Flat Ride' is 'they're either ignorant, lazy, assume customers are idiots, or a combination of all three.'
        Shaikh Jalal Ahmad
        Suspension Decoder @ Fat Cat Motorsports, Inc.
        Youtube: Suspension Truth
        FCM E46 M3 Ride Harmonizer spreadsheet

Comment

I'd be happy to provide an E9x Ride Harmonizer spreadsheet based on the information I have once someone on the forum decided to have me build an FCM Elite suspension for them. That's what I did with Eric SMG's E46 M3 - I justified the time taken and data sharing via a free spreadsheet by having someone on the forum share their experience with my Elite services. Mutual benefit!

If you are in the Bay Area or willing to come here, we can work together to get detailed bump travel measurements, test bump stop rates on my Roehrig dyno, and measure spring rates on my Longacre spring tester.

Up to this point, I've made estimates on amount of bump travel that can be added via shortened bump stops and it has worked for my E9x customers those they are currently using stock or mild lowering springs. For a more track/competition-focused setup, I'd want to do more careful suspension measurements to look at wheel/tire clearances at full bump, full lock, etc.
          Shaikh Jalal Ahmad

Comment

Glad to have you here, Shaikh!

So it's clear that I wasn't impugning your work: I wasn't saying your kits are narrowly optimized; I was saying your process allows each application's parameters to be defined in better detail than most aftermarket vendors can/will do. I tried to choose my words very carefully in that sentence. Apologies if I came across otherwise.

The one thing you said that I find hard to digest is this:
            Originally posted by Suspension Decoder View Post
            the final answer to the question 'why don't coilover kits come with Flat Ride' is 'they're either ignorant, lazy, assume customers are idiots, or a combination of all three.'
            ...Mainly because every time I myself have thought that about a consensus in the market, I've eventually found at least some respectable reasons mixed in with the outrageous BS.

But as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Looking forward to seeing some results from when you get to do more work on this platform. 👍
            Last edited by IamFODI; 08-18-2020, 04:02 PM.
            2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

No worries, I just wanted to clarify and appreciate your clarification as well. It's the interaction WITH the customer / end user that improves the final result.

I can understand why it may be hard to digest. However, consensus based on opinions is one thing - everyone has an opinion, there's no objective standard. Consensus based on back-to-back results, and analytical examination lead to repeatable and verifiably superior solutions. One has to be OPEN-MINDED to explore new solutions or to question the existing paradigm to have ANY PROGRESS. I don't mean 'change for change's sake' which is chaos - but focused changes that result in MEASURABLE improvements - both qualitative (seat of the pants) and quantitative (lap times / improved tire wear, etc.).

I am forever skeptical of those people out there who keyboard jockey (and I know too many people with engr. degrees who do this...) but never actually TEST in the real world, or have a framework to evaluate the 'goodness' or 'badness' of fit.There's too much arrogance of 'what I learned in school, or I apprenticed with race team X' but to question ways of doing takes courage and a bit of insanity. I'm far from a consensus-follower, nor am I demanding adherence but critical examination.

There are some situations where pitch may be needed (HIGHLY aero-driven applications, where front end height is CRUCIAL and governs everything else). However, remember, FLAT RIDE is proven to work on aero-equipped track-raced BMWs, and Porsches, and Corvettes, etc. It's MORE about the indoctrination that's taken place, and presumptions / assumptions than a thought questioning of WHY instead of just focusing on HOW.

===

I recommend you watch AT LEAST the first 3 minutes of this video. Ryan has used the MCS for 5 years and he started to doubt himself. He's a new and happy FCM Elite Stage 3 E36 M3 customer!

So far, I mean, the car obviously handles well, the balance is great ... but one of the biggest eye-openers, is the fact that two of the tires I currently still have mounted and in rotation, they've done all of COTA, all of Gingerman, a test day, and a handful of sessions at this last event at Autobahn and they're still FINE!

And for 5 YEARS I've dealt with CORDING TIRES ALMOST INSTANTLY (with MCS 2-way then 3-way), you know, one or two sessions I'd see the impressions, and by a third session, it's like, "I don't think I can safely run on these anymore." You know, you try and catch them after 2 sessions and flip them, but I don't have a tire machine at the track!

That's one of the best things, knowing I can beat on the car, I can slide it around, and I'm coming in and the TIRES LOOK GREAT! I'm wearing the tires evenly across - like, the wear holes are wearing in conjunction with the intermittent rectangles on the Hoosiers. I haven't - I haven't had that in a long time. You know, that one of the biggest - I told you a long time ago, I don't look at the expense of the suspension as being too expensive or whatnot - it's an investment.

What I have invested in the (FCM Elite) suspension I'm getting it back after 3 sets of tires! That's what it is - $1400 for a set of tires. You add it up, and that's the damper revalve and rebuild for Stage 3.
              He was previously on 'consensus-good' MCS 3-ways (which he stated were a 'downgrade' from the 2-way he previously had) vs. the optimized / Ride Harmonized / Race Synergized FCM Elite Stage 3 solution he has now.

BTW, even before contacting me, he had talked with the guys at Edge Motorworks at 2019 NASA Nationals. They were faster than him on his home track in a 'slower car'. He was convinced to try Flat Ride with the MCS and did so. It helped, but still wasn't enough.

Then, he called me...

So, what was MCS doing 'wrong' that I am doing so right that Ryan had such incredible improvements in tire wear as well as lap times?! Is that .. an accident..? some glaring oversight, or an improper philosophy being applied...?
              Last edited by Suspension Decoder; 08-18-2020, 08:59 PM.
              Shaikh Jalal Ahmad

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                But as they say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. Looking forward to seeing some results from when you get to do more work on this platform. 👍
                As I mentioned before, if someone is local / willing to come up, I can do bump / droop travel measurements to fine-tune results. However, I have already had success with E9x using stock springs and an Elite Stage 3 Bilstein HD. Choosing spring rates for higher-rate coilovers is easy now that I know motion ratios.

I did an Elite Stage 3 for an F80 M3 earlier this year (previous Miata customer), with H&R Street Performance as the canvas. We used ~1.9 / 2.0 Hz frequencies. That car is FUN! Would love to see more E9x owners experience Ride Harmony... =)

Shaikh Jalal Ahmad

Comment

He was previously on 'consensus-good' MCS 3-ways (which he stated were a 'downgrade' from the 2-way he previously had) vs. the optimized / Ride Harmonized / Race Synergized FCM Elite Stage 3 solution he has now.
                  I nominate SYT_Shadow if you ever need someone to test a flat ride setup, he has 2 E9x M3s, has experience with JRZ/MCS setups and is an instructor that does a ton of track days every year.

Having someone like him do a comparison between 'consensus-good' setups would go a long way and probably sell more than a few setups.

I don't see how MCS 3way is a downgrade from 2ways, unless something was done wrong or setup poorly.

Comment

I nominate SYT_Shadow if you ever need someone to test a flat ride setup, he has 2 E9x M3s, has experience with JRZ/MCS setups and is an instructor that does a ton of track days every year.

Having someone like him do a comparison between 'consensus-good' setups would go a long way and probably sell more than a few setups.
                    Seconded.

I don't see how MCS 3way is a downgrade from 2ways, unless something was done wrong or setup poorly.
                    Quite right. The catch is that having more adjustment increases the odds of a poor setup. Finding the right setting is looking for a needle in a haystack; having more settings to play with increases the size of the haystack exponentially without guaranteeing a better needle.

The real benefit of more adjustability is being able to take the same dampers into a wide variety of situations. But even then, you don't want more adjustability than you absolutely need because it adds complexity and constrains the design. The real goal should be to get the damping as right as possible through the design, construction, and valving of the damper itself, and add adjustability only as necessary.

I'm not saying more adjustability is necessarily worse, and I have no idea what's behind the comment under discussion. Just wanted to offer something to consider.
                    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

As I mentioned before, if someone is local / willing to come up, I can do bump / droop travel measurements to fine-tune results. However, I have already had success with E9x using stock springs and an Elite Stage 3 Bilstein HD. Choosing spring rates for higher-rate coilovers is easy now that I know motion ratios.

I did an Elite Stage 3 for an F80 M3 earlier this year (previous Miata customer), with H&R Street Performance as the canvas. We used ~1.9 / 2.0 Hz frequencies. That car is FUN! Would love to see more E9x owners experience Ride Harmony... =)
                      You are local to me.. I have MCS 2WNR on my car and I have my stock suspension sitting in a box. hmmm

Comment

Hey derbo - let's talk. I'm at the shop today - 650-839-0290 or email via the website contact form - http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/contact_elite.htm. Also happy to give you a thrill ride in my FCM Elite Stage 3 E46 330i. =)

Feel free to reach out and let's do some testing on those MCS. I would ideally want to measure 1 front and 1 rear. Even if we just pulled 1 rear shock to test (fast and easy vs. a front) it's VERY insightful.

Can do here at the shop, but I have no lift so would be in the driveway like we did the motion ratio measurements on mrgizmodo's E46 M3 with Ohlins DFV.
                        Shaikh Jalal Ahmad

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
                          Seconded.
                          Let's make it happen!

Quite right. The catch is that having more adjustment increases the odds of a poor setup. Finding the right setting is looking for a needle in a haystack; having more settings to play with increases the size of the haystack exponentially without guaranteeing a better needle.
                          In this case, even at FULL SOFT the dampers were just WRONG. There was no setting that could be done - and what was alarming was that the 3-way "update" was WORSE than his best setup efforts with the 2-ways. He PAID for the privilege of being further abused by his setup!

The real benefit of more adjustability is being able to take the same dampers into a wide variety of situations. But even then, you don't want more adjustability than you absolutely need because it adds complexity and constrains the design. The real goal should be to get the damping as right as possible through the design, construction, and valving of the damper itself, and add adjustability only as necessary.
                          Your last sentence here is the most correct one - and once you DO get the damping right, then the knobs is actually a DETRIMENT. See video linked below. You would THINK that the 'variety of situations' would required an adjuster, but the kind of adjustability you need is MUCH more based on tire pressure differences and potentially ride height or bar changes from track-to-track (CW vs. CCW). I've taken the same setup to various tracks and only changed tire pressures and the car is FAST, out cornering everything I come across. Same reported by national-champion winning racers.

I'm not saying more adjustability is necessarily worse, and I have no idea what's behind the comment under discussion. Just wanted to offer something to consider.
                          More adjustability is WORSE if someone has no understanding of what the knobs are doing. Which 99% of buyers don't. They just feel better having 2 or 3 knobs, they're 'special' somehow and can magically find speed from the Suspension Gods. LOL.

For proper context on what knobs actually do vs. what people think they do, you need to understand how each adjuster functions AND (most critically important) WHAT THE BASELINE VALVING IS!

Simply putting a knob on a damper that has a POOR baseline valve stack or improper piston design will NOT get you to the ideal point for tire grip and lap times.

Knobs are a HUGE psychological crutch - I discovered this myself 'chasing knobs' for years, until I designed my own single- and double-adjustable setups and sold them to customers.

I did a full round of data acquisition and analysis using AiM EVO4 with 4 shock potentiometers on several cars (you know, the stuff pro race teams use).

I won the 2011 Packwood National Tour in STX, finishing ahead of National Champion Joe Goeke.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Packwood_NT_2011_STX_results_Shaikh_Ahmad_win1.png Views:	0 Size:	165.9 KB ID:	51876
                          I then ran SCCA Solo Nationals and got my first Nationals trophy, finishing ahead of my customer in his FCM-designed Bilstein-based double-adjustable suspension.

Click image for larger version  Name:	FCM_ELITE_3240_NC_RX8_Front_DA.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.5 KB ID:	51875

I was poised to do even better (backed up by the data acquisition) but a too-stiff left front bump stop made me push wide outside the timing lights on my last run the second day. That was the last time I neglected to fully account for bump stop stiffness variation front vs. rear!

Click image for larger version  Name:	SCCA_National_Championships_STX_2011_10th_place_trophy_Shaikh_Ahmad.png Views:	0 Size:	162.8 KB ID:	51877

===

The outcome of all that testing and evaluation and design was a deeper understanding of what kinds of actual DAMPER VELOCITIES exist even on a 'smooth autocross surface' (hint - over 40 in/sec is quite high!). Of how important having corner weights is, of matching ride frequencies left-to-right, of using Flat Ride tuning, of minimizing gas pressure, of having sufficient bump travel, of how to TUNE WITH BUMP STOPS effectively instead of omitting them (as many setups unfortunately do), of how important REDUCING HIGH SPEED damper force was to maintaining grip and compliance over broken surfaces.

I had learned a lot from the 2008-2011 period when I was actively involved in SCCA National-Level autocross. I took the successes and lessons to go back to the drawing board and ask 'how do you REALLY make a car faster, grip better, win races?' The answer wasn't MORE KNOBS, but more sophistication of how the damper and the suspension AS A WHOLE responded to the road, to surface imperfections, etc.

Essentially, through my own adventure of building my own multi-adjustable setups, I found the KEY was understanding exactly HOW to build tire grip without worsening compliance and upsetting the chassis. The actual science of building grip and control, without going overboard on the latter.

This involves taking a much more detailed, methodical approach to the ENTIRE suspension instead of throwing a couple adjusters on a set of shocks and saying 'go have fun!'

In 2013, I got very curious about Penske's regressive valve for Formula 1. I studied that and decided it made GREAT SENSE! So I designed my own blow-off valve for Bilsteins. That's the KBO (Kerb Blow-Off) and I've been refining it through 9 iterations now (stabilized for about 3 years).

In 2014 I got more into off-road vehicle, and that's when Ripple Reducer was born - something off-road racers have done for years. Other companies don't use this technology on road-going cars, but they could if they wanted to or understood it.

Through all of this testing, racing, experimentation, working with customers, I discovered you MUST get the BASELINE valving correct. When you do that, the knobs are beyond unnecessary - they DETRIMENTAL to the goal of maximum grip!

===

Having a knobs FORCES the damper to build MORE high speed compression slope - and then needing ANOTHER knob to try and compensate to 'blow-off' the high speed force.

Watch 3-5 minutes of this video (time stamped to the most relevant portion):

The use of an adjustable shock shaft FORCES the damper to build MORE force which you DO NOT WANT to get the best bump compliance.

I really hope you guys can deprogram yourself from the marketing-promoted idea that knobs are somehow actually really important. If someone wants to do a phone interview with me that I can record and post, I'm happy to do that. Bring your questions, even as a two-person conference call, and let's put some actual data and information together to illustrate how a suspension really work vs. what marketing departments want to tell you.

Or, just call Anthony Zwain at Edge Motorworks Fremont and ask him why they NO LONGER recommend MCS or anything else for their race cars - they only use FCM Elite Stage 3 setups - and ALL the setups we build for them have NO KNOBS! They work at ALL tracks, wet or dry. That's called intelligent design, my friends! Truth over Marketing!
                          Last edited by Suspension Decoder; 08-22-2020, 12:15 PM.
                          Shaikh Jalal Ahmad

Comment

Hey derbo - let's talk. I'm at the shop today - 650-839-0290 or email via the website contact form - http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/contact_elite.htm. Also happy to give you a thrill ride in my FCM Elite Stage 3 E46 330i. =)

Feel free to reach out and let's do some testing on those MCS. I would ideally want to measure 1 front and 1 rear. Even if we just pulled 1 rear shock to test (fast and easy vs. a front) it's VERY insightful.

Can do here at the shop, but I have no lift so would be in the driveway like we did the motion ratio measurements on mrgizmodo's E46 M3 with Ohlins DFV.
                            I'll see when I have time and I might be able to take apart my car and bring my dampers over for testing. I'll reach out via email.

Comment

The BMW community has generally practiced higher spring rates on the front axle. General BMW wisdom that I've grown up with is that you want to stiffen up the front axle to reduce the front tires rolling over onto the outer edges when cornering. Then steer the car with your right foot through the turn. I've assumed it was a way to overcome the inherent weakness of the Macpherson Strut design. Turner Motorsport ran a 40mm front bar on their E46 325.

I'm no where near knowledgeable enough to say what is better. On my E46, I went from 600lb front springs and compression/rebound near max to 400lb springs and compression rebound to 1/3 from min. The car turned in WAY better on bumpy tracks. I tried turning up compression/rebound for my last time on track and the understeer came back. I do know stiffer isn't always better (that's what she said).

Comment

Working...
                              X