BMW Star-spec Pilot Super Sport vs. generic Pilot Sport 4S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW Star-spec Pilot Super Sport vs. generic Pilot Sport 4S

Continuing this thread, asking for opinions between the BMW-spec Pilot Super Sport (which was ostensibly customized for this car) and the "generic" Pilot Sport 4S. Some discussion of bespoke-vs.-newer ensued. There was no clear resolution. Seems like an interesting question, so I figured it might be worth posting here.

I found this video recently -- might be relevant:

This is for an M2, though the tire models in question are the same. The reviewer found that the PSS gives better dry grip whereas the PS4S works better in the wet. This is in line with what I've read about why the Supra development team stuck with the PSS instead of switching to the then-new PS4S, which makes me suspect that the difference might extend to other applications. The reviewer with the M2 also noticed better steering behavior with the OE spec PSS and better NVH with the PS4S. Wouldn't be surprised if this were true for our application as well.

If anyone has experienced both tires for this car, please post up! If you're reading this a while after it was posted, don't let that stop you; it's relevant as long as both tires are available.
    Last edited by IamFODI; 09-21-2020, 04:37 PM.
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

I don't think I'm a skilled enough driver to really tease out the grip difference if any, but I do find the PS4S to have better NVH than generic non-star-spec PSS.

Comment

My 19" ps4s were more comfortable & quieter than my 18" pss I was shocked. Dry grip feels just as good if not better to me but that could also be down to the ps4s being a few years newer? Or perception (less sidewall, better suited to wheel width) as the ps4s are 235/265 and the pss were 245/275 both 8.5/9.5 widths.
      DD: /// 2011.5 Jerez/bamboo E90 M3 · DCT · Slicktop · Instagram
      /// 2004 Silvergrey M3 · Coupe · 6spd · Slicktop · zero options
      More info: https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/m...os-supersprint

Comment

It depends on which Star spec BMW tire you're comparing to the standard Michelin, in my F80 M3 I found much, much higher levels of traction and grip with the PS4S in the same sizes as the star BMW spec PSS. I replaced the tires at only 6k miles to try and gain useful info between the two tires (and not compare worn out rubber to new rubber) but found that I could fully hook up and launch in 1st gear with the PS4S where I was violently spinning tires in 2nd gear on the PSS.

Comment

Working...
        X