DIY: Slonik E9X CF Reinforcement Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Slonik E9X CF Reinforcement Panel

I finally got around to installing the CF panel! There a GB going around so it's a good time to get it done and provide some instructions.

From the E9X to the F8X generation there was an increase in torsional rigidity. Both are very rigid, but I’ve been jealous the F8X is a 20% stiffer!
    Looking at data, the E9X is 33000Nm/deg and the F8X is 40000Nm/deg

In some cars like the previous gen M5, BMW did not offer a folding rear seat, with the goal of increasing the car’s rigidity.

My track E90 has fold down rear seats like every E9X, although the rear seats are removed in its current config.

Audi uses a CF panel to increase torsional rigidity by a whopping 33% in its A8... what about doing that on the E9X?
    Enter Slonik’s CF reinforcement panel!

Specs:
    -Vacuum infusion with post-curing
    -Base options – oem look plain wave, small or large size twill wave (the latter was my choice). Any other options on request at time of order
    -Can be installed behind oem seats if desired, no need to rip up your interior or irreversibly turn your car into a track-only machine
    -Installs with structural epoxy, which can be removed with a heat gun
    -Has a sweet ///M in the panel so no one is confused about who builds your grocery getter
    -Weight below 4lb (1.7kg)
    -Thick enough - about 2.5millimeters of pure carbon layers.

LIST of materials needed for install:
    180 grit sand paper. I use the foam block style.
    Alcohol and microfiber cloths (having a source of water handy helps)
    BMW SF-7888 (K-3) structural glue and applicator gun. This is the same glue I used for the CF roof install (https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792840) a few weeks ago, and the same glue BMW recommends for installing CF onto steel panels in their cars.
    Locking pliers, 1/4", x4
    Rubber gloves
    Tyvek full body suit (Home Depot) and N95 mask for sanding CF

Steps:
    First fit the wall with no glue to see more or less where it goes
    Use masking tape to seal off the area around the wall where glue does not go. This is not strictly necessary but will make cleanup a lot easier. Protip: use more masking tape than I did, especially in the bottom... that glue drips everywhere! :S
    Use masking tape to seal the wall on both sides. Anywhere you don’t want glue should be taped up
    Sand CF mating surface while wearing special suit and mask
    Sand car’s mating surface. Clean CF and car's mating surfaces with alcohol
    Heat up the BMW K3 glue. I used really hot water for 30 min.
    Stage 1 -put glue on the sides, bottom, top of the car’s mating surface
    -put glue on the wall, only bottom and half of the side
    -put locking pliers on top both sides and something on the bottom to hold the wall tightly
    Stage 2: -from the trunk, apply glue to all the perimeter, push it in with your fingers (with a glove on)
    Clean Up: remove the masking tape and plastic sheeting from both sides. Be careful not to get epoxy on random surfaces. Change your gloves often.

Like everything Slon Workshop/Slonik makes, this is a real piece of art

Here's a pic of the BMW epoxy that is used. K-3

We start by taping up both sides of the wall. We don't want any rogue epoxy getting on the CF

We test fit it just to make sure we understand where it goes. Also, while it's in place we mask up both sides of the car so the epoxy doesn't overflow and mess everything up later. This takes a while but I think it's the easiest solution. Again, use more masking tape than I did in the bottom area!

Remove the reinforcement wall from the car and look at the mating surfaces

Get a 180 grit sandpaper block and rough up the part of the car where the glue goes. The objective is to roughen it up, not sand all the paint off, so take it easy. When finished, get a microfiber cloth and alcohol to clean up the surfaces and ensure they are clean

Now you have to do the same thing to the CF reinforcement wall. Sanding CF is nasty business, so we put on the Tyvek full body suit we got at home depot, goggles and an N95 respirator, then start sanding the panel's mating surfaces. After sanding we clean the surfaces with alcohol.
    Remove the Tyvek suit and throw it away, then change your gloves

Now get the epoxy that's been heating up for 30 min, put it into the applicator gun and start applying it. We need to apply it both to the car and also to the CF panel. The CF panel's side and bottom get glue and then the car gets glue as well.
    Note we are not double-gluing. There are parts in the wall perpendicular to each other, same as the car. We put a glue bead on the car's surfaces and then another glue bead on the wall's bottom and side which are angled differently.
    Once you apply epoxy you're on the clock. Figure you have 20 minutes of set time to work, after that it gets dicey.
    Once you put the wall against the body and the glue starts doing its thing, we apply some locking pliers/clips to the top surface to hold the wall in place, then I used a piece of wood going from the front seats to the wall to apply pressure

After this step you need to go to the back side of the wall: in through the trunk and apply a second stage of glue to make sure all the voids are filled in. I put extra glue all over and then used a glove to press it into a more or less clean bead with my finger. You do this on the bottom, both sides and the top through the trunk

After that it's cleanup time! You want to remove the masking tape from the car and from the reinforcement wall. Be careful because the tape is messy, this will require you to change gloves many times. Eventually you finish!

Finally, I left it to dry for a few days without moving the car

More info:

Idea of this rear wall was born after watching on e46 torsional rigidity figures:

E46 Sedan (w/o folding seats) 18000
    E46 Sedan (w folding seats) 13000
    E46 Touring (w folding seats) 14000
    E46 Coupe (w folding seats) 12500
    E46 Cabrio 10500
    What do we need to see here? Comparing two sedans' torsional rigidity – the difference between two chassis is limited to the steel wall behind the rear seats! 38% increase of torsional rigidity with only one chassis element difference!
    Another interesting fact is that e46 coupes and even e46 m3s don’t have chassis options without folding seats (with the factory wall). Same for the next generation e9x chassis – bmw didn’t offer “w/o folding seats” option at all, so all versions have a hole instead of a wall.
    Second comparison of the two chassis, which has a difference in the roofs – one has steel installed with spot welding, second one – glued with structural glue carbon fiber roof panel.
    E46 M3 18500
    E46 M3 CSL 18750
    These are the factory figures, and BMW shows us that a carbon fiber panel installed with the structural glue give us even more stiffness than spot welded steel.
    So the idea was to make the a unique product, inspired on the factory engineered chassis solution.

It’s important to note the main idea of this product was to get noticeable improvements in torsional rigidity of the body and at the same time, make a street compatible solution without transforming it into a track only car.
    This is why the stiffness wall was designed to be compatible with the rear seats.

In the end, our beloved cars had a great chassis in their time, but time moves on. This is like an anti-ageing upgrade to stay competitive vs more current generations' cars.

This is also available for the E46 platform!

Comment

Holy $#!& this is awesome.
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
      Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
      Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
        This Slon Workshop is just incredible. The stuff they make!

Comment

Originally posted by IamFODI View Post
          Agreed, this is really cool. Out of curiosity, what's the price like for these? I couldn't find price information for any of their products.
          2002 Topasblau M3 - Coupe - 6MT - Karbonius CSL Airbox - MSS54HP Conversion - Kassel MAP - SSV1 - HJS - PCS Tune - Beisan - MK60 Swap - ZCP Rack - Nogaros - AutoSolutions - 996 Brembos - Slon - CMP - VinceBar - Koni - Eibach - BlueBus - Journal

2012 Alpinweiss 128i - Coupe - 6AT - Slicktop - Manual Seats - Daily - Journal

Comment

Originally posted by heinzboehmer View Post

Agreed, this is really cool. Out of curiosity, what's the price like for these? I couldn't find price information for any of their products.
            It's $1900. Quality does not come cheap!

There's a GB currently
            GB Pricing (USD)
            5-9 pcs: 1,700
            10-19 pcs: 1,550
            20 + pcs: 1,450
            Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 02-01-2021, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
              This is also available for the E46 platform!
              !

... I might be ordering one of these. Can the e46 version also fit behind the stock seats? And... is it included in the GB?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
              2012 LMB/Black 128i
              2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

!

... I might be ordering one of these. Can the e46 version also fit behind the stock seats? And... is it included in the GB?
                E46 version fits behind the stock seats and IS included in the GB

Slon Workshop's owner is more an E46 guy than an E9X guy. He has CF roofs, the reinforcement panel, CF hoods, CF fenders, etc. All in the closest thing you will see to OEM quality not built by BMW in your life.
                The shop that installed the CF roof in my E90 had also installed the RKP one in other cars and after the job was done the 2 partners ordered a roof each, one for an E90 and the other for a 1M

Comment

Working...
                X