Steering wheel spacer for OE wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel spacer for OE wheel

Anyone ever use this, or something like it? Strongly considering buying one.https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/e...0956#post90956

https://www.spacershop.com/prodotto/...w-serie-3-e90/

EDIT: Installed! https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/e...1152#post91152
    Last edited by IamFODI; 03-13-2021, 06:40 AM.
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Oh wow, that looks so interesting. Never thought someone made something like this

Comment

Originally posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
      Oh wow, that looks so interesting. Never thought someone made something like this
      Right??

I could use one, like yesterday. Just concerned because the steering column is safety critical, so I'm hesitant to use parts without a known rep. Also wondering if there might be implications for airbag deployment; isn't it timed according to seat position?
      2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Well, just ordered one. Wish me luck! 😬
        2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Turns out the guy who makes these is an E46 guy. Also found out a friend of mine has one of these for his truck and likes it.

Looks like a good piece. Will post my review whenever it gets here (no ETA yet).
          2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7136.JPEG
Views:	333
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	90958

Name:	IMG_7137.JPEG
Views:	311
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	90959

Name:	IMG_7138.JPEG
Views:	317
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	90957

Looks like a decent piece. Wiring extensions for everything but the airbag, which supposedly has enough slack stock. That last part sounds like famous last words, but I've heard good things about this guy. Hoping to install soon.
            2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

Nice! Keep us posted!

Comment

Well, it's in. BLUF: 9/10 mod. Minor gripes but well worth it. Wish I had had this a long time ago.

Before:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7151.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	91159

After:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7158.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	91158

The spacer itself is 42mm deep; I think it might add a mm or two more than that because the gap behind it looks slightly bigger than before.

I'm sure the distance between the wheel and the stalks will annoy some. It's a big asset for me because I've wanted to break my habit of using them without taking my hands off the wheel.

Obligatory weighing:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7149.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	94.7 KB ID:	91154

Not gonna do a full DIY as there are plenty of steering wheel DIYs out there. However, I do want to highlight a couple of tips/issues.

For the install, I found it easier to connect the wire extensions to the clockspring first, then install the spacer onto the steering wheel, and then mount the wheel while threading the extensions into it. Result should look something like this:
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7157.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	153.0 KB ID:	91162
                (The above shows both wiring extensions, one for the steering wheel buttons and one for shift paddles, the latter of which I don't have).

Without the main bolt in place, the amount of play in the assembly is far more than without the spacer. Not sure what that means, if anything. Fortunately, the bolt takes all that play out.

The included bolt has a 22 mm head, which is bigger than what comes off the car.

Turns out my "famous last words" worry was correct. This wire (circled below)...
                Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7154 - Copy.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	141.6 KB ID:	91157
                ...was not long enough to allow the airbag connector to reach the clockspring through the spacer. I've emailed the manufacturer about this. In the meantime, I (reversibly) extended the wire for now. Will be seeking a better solution, or at least a better implementation of my extension.

Result: I finally have my steering wheel position more-or-less where I want it. It's so much nicer to use now, and that niceness is multiplied by how important steering is to the experience of a car. For anyone driving with more arm reach than they'd prefer, I strongly recommend this mod.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by IamFODI; 03-18-2021, 10:49 AM.
                2008 M3 Sedan 6MT

2012 Mazda5 6MT

Comment

This is great! I tested one a few years ago that was 2.5" (63mm) long and it was just too much for me.

Big thread here with install pics from myself and the other guy that tested it.

Anyone else wish that the steering wheel would telescope a bit further? I'm a long legged dude and always find myself trying to move the seat up so that I'm not steering with locked elbows, but then my knees start hitting the dash/column. I had been brainstorming a solution and it looks like some dude in Italy is two steps ahead of me: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=653227&d=1491929840

If this one is 20mm less than the one I tried then that might be the ticket!

Edit: just noticed this was the e90 section but whatever same part same result

Edit II: I see now that it's the same guy that sent me one for testing years ago I'll reach out to see if he changed anything
                  Last edited by ZHPizza; 03-13-2021, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Thank you! I usually wish my steering wheels got closer to me

Comment

Working...
                    X