Flashing a compatible cable with Ediabas Lib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashing a compatible cable with Ediabas Lib

Well, in the spirit of giving back, Ive decided to release our internal document on how to flash a compatible cable with ediabas lib. I have been following the M3 DME discussions since the comprehensive MSS54 thread till now. I think its time to give back.

Let me know if I should upload another version without our website in the header, or if im missing any other rules...

https://www.sfbmwcoding.com/files/fl...ediabaslib.pdf

Cheers.

Uploaded v1.3 (added additional cable pin out and updating via USB details).
    Last edited by drinnird; 04-24-2022, 01:28 PM.

Thanks so much for posting!
    2008 M3 Sedan 6MT
    Slicktop, no iDrive | Öhlins by 3DM Motorsport | Autosolutions | SPL

2012 Mazda5 6MT
    Koni Special Active, Volvo parts

Comment

Awesome. Thank you.

Comment

Nice one, great post, does this assume that the lead does not have any modded ediabas firmware on it, as in its an as bought (with error) lead.

I thought I read somewhere that you need to upload the CanAdapter.hex file first to bootload the firmware so that it would then accept the combined. or has it moved on and you only need to upload the combined.hex as described in the pdf??

Comment

Works, thanks for the guide!

Comment

Originally posted by ccfj1 View Post
            Nice one, great post, does this assume that the lead does not have any modded ediabas firmware on it, as in its an as bought (with error) lead.

I thought I read somewhere that you need to upload the CanAdapter.hex file first to bootload the firmware so that it would then accept the combined. or has it moved on and you only need to upload the combined.hex as described in the pdf??
            You will need to flash combined.hex for the initial programming.

CanAdapter.hex is only to update firmware via USB after flashing the cable with "ediabas lib" modified firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by drinnird View Post
              Well, in the spirit of giving back, Ive decided to release our internal document on how to flash a compatible cable with ediabas lib. I have been following the M3 DME discussions since the comprehensive MSS54 thread till now. I think its time to give back.

Let me know if I should upload another version without our website in the header, or if im missing any other rules...

https://www.sfbmwcoding.com/files/fl...ediabaslib.pdf

Cheers.

Uploaded v1.3 (added additional cable pin out and updating via USB details).
              Hey man, I will be honest, I came here only for this. First of all, thanks so much for a throughout guide!

I have been trying to do this like last 1-2 months on and off I have somewhat experience with Arduinos. I am using Mega2560. I passed all the steps but I can not ID the atmega162. I am getting that famous "Yikes!" error it says unknown device signature 000000. I have checked the continuity for all the pins one by one from the atmega162 legs directly and all the pins seems correct. I have checked all the connections 3-4 times if not more. I have tried another arduino as well with no luck. Do you have any insight on this? have you had this issue before?

Comment

Use an atmega flasher like this.
                Using an Arduino is overkill and too complicated.

A 10$ usbasp should do the trick. No need to mess with any of these Arduino settings.

Plug it in install drivers connect to the isp and flash with avrdudess.

Comment

Originally posted by ZiMMie View Post
                  Use an atmega flasher like this.
                  Using an Arduino is overkill and too complicated.

A 10$ usbasp should do the trick. No need to mess with any of these Arduino settings.

Plug it in install drivers connect to the isp and flash with avrdudess.

Thanks man, I will give this a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by techmania View Post

Hey man, I will be honest, I came here only for this. First of all, thanks so much for a throughout guide!

I have been trying to do this like last 1-2 months on and off I have somewhat experience with Arduinos. I am using Mega2560. I passed all the steps but I can not ID the atmega162. I am getting that famous "Yikes!" error it says unknown device signature 000000. I have checked the continuity for all the pins one by one from the atmega162 legs directly and all the pins seems correct. I have checked all the connections 3-4 times if not more. I have tried another arduino as well with no luck. Do you have any insight on this? have you had this issue before?
                    Mega2560 working fine for this. Depending on board (clone) try pin 10 instead of 53 and triple check again correct baudrate on serial port.
                    …under construction.

Comment

Originally posted by S54B32 View Post

Mega2560 working fine for this. Depending on board (clone) try pin 10 instead of 53 and triple check again correct baudrate on serial port.
                      I have both clone and original Mega 2560.. Tried everything even tho all the wiring tested ok, it did not work. I got the USBAsp and it flashed at first try. However, I flashed my DME after and it did not make any difference on the writing time (MSD80).. I was expecting it would make a bit difference at least

Comment

Originally posted by techmania View Post

I have both clone and original Mega 2560.. Tried everything even tho all the wiring tested ok, it did not work. I got the USBAsp and it flashed at first try. However, I flashed my DME after and it did not make any difference on the writing time (MSD80).. I was expecting it would make a bit difference at least
                        I'm glad you got it working. Flashing times aren't any faster.

Although no errors nor bricking dmes.

Comment

anyone have the pin order for this board? its sold on amazon by OHP tools
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	pinout.png
Views:	434
Size:	851.5 KB
ID:	194237

Comment

Got a response from the manufacturer, but it looks like these pins are mapped to completely unrelated pins than the instructions.

If I were to connect directly to the miso, mosi, sck etc pins directly on the pins on the chip itself, would that work?

Click image for larger version  Name:	C5641EB3-B054-48FB-A9D2-290CF81DDFCF.jpg Views:	0 Size:	49.3 KB ID:	194466 Click image for larger version  Name:	92A2F45B-7B4E-4311-A10A-B22417EF9E1F.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.6 KB ID:	194465

Comment

Too much work, all those pins are relocated to the 6pin header. Just use a multimeter and trace it. Forget what the manufacture supplied you, the pin count it's easy enough to determined it using the atmega datasheet.
                              Last edited by ZiMMie; 12-04-2022, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X