• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear identification switch

2004 manual(factory).
    I have a No crank no start issue.
    All the usual suspects were looked at.'
    The ews module showed a voltage supply problem.
    Live data showed that the starter was "not enabled" and "starter disabled due to P/N....(park neutral)
    For some reason the car started and was driven to the dealer for the ews replacement and synching.
    24 hours later we have a no crank no start with the same error messages except the ews is fault free.
    looking into the P/N reveals a gear identification switch on the driver side of the gear box.

Does anyone have any experience with this animal?
    How does it work...clutch module control?
    I can't see how this reverse light switch disabling the starter, unless it has other functions.
    Last edited by FBloggs; 04-24-2021, 09:04 AM.

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
    2004 manual(factory).

looking into the P/N reveals a gear identification switch on the driver side of the gear box.

Does anyone have any experience with this animal?
    How does it work...clutch module control?
    I can't see how this reverse light switch disabling the starter, unless it has other functions.
    It's a gear position sensor to let the DME know gear is engaged or neutral. If the sensor wrongly tells the DME a gear engaged while it is in neutral, then DME or EWS could disable the starter.
    The reverse sensor is another part.

In most cases, the sensor switch is fine but the pin with roller wheel is broken causing the issue. Unbolt it and replace the pins with roller.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
      will disassemble the device and see what's going on.

Comment

That switch wouldn't prevent the EWS module from starting. It could be the magnetic switch that sits on the clutch master cylinder that's bad.

Comment

Originally posted by terra View Post
          That switch wouldn't prevent the EWS module from starting. It could be the magnetic switch that sits on the clutch master cylinder that's bad.
          yeppers. That was my initial suspect.
          I bought a replacement, not the correct one as it is n/a.
          The replacement allows the engine to hit the limiter if you do not disengage the cruise.
          THis was a stop gap until I could get a euro switch and code it.
          This replacement did nothing.
          I put the original switch back in.
          After a few days of diagnosing and faffing with it, the car started and ran for 24 hours.
          The ews keys and dme,were resynched...It had a voltage to ews3 advisory on the reader.
          Next day, the car would not crank.
          Code reader says the starter is not enabled. It says the starter is disabled due to P/N.
          Car. Is a manual.

Comment

The clutch switch is seen as a “park / neutral” switch.

Comment

The clutch switch is seen as a “park / neutral” switch.
              Thank Terra.
              I'll change it out again, but the stop gap replacement I bought (35426876898) did nothing.
              Being a 2004, the mechanical clutch switch is not fitted.
              using the "G" search led me to the gps on the transmission.
              The EUR market cars don't have these start nannies.
              The car did run for 150 miles with the original switch before the starter was re disabled.

Comment

I would probably just code out the start interlock. Could be the circuit in the actual EWS module that's failed.

The GPS has nothing to do with start behavior.

Comment

I would probably just code out the start interlock. Could be the circuit in the actual EWS module that's failed.

I had the ews module replaced by the dealer, and had the keys synched to the new module..
                  on the reader;
                  keys are good on all fronts
                  ews throws no codes but is being directed to immobilse.
                  dme has no codes.
                  new starter
                  new ignition switch.
                  All fuses are good for the four locations.
                  relays tested good.
                  The only other faults are a dodgy rear trunk motor and the telematics...phone antenna.
                  the two immobiliser faults.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	2C7ED559-4D29-4E36-B62E-432042687574.jpeg
Views:	908
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	101022 ​​​​​​​

Comment

Agreed, as if the clutch pedal is pushed down to enable the clutch switch, then regardless if it is in gear or not.
                    OP, you can try to bypass the EWS by shorting out pin1 and pin2 and starter should crank.

Comment

Cheers Gents.
                      I'll continue to fiddle with the clutch module/switch.

Comment

Originally posted by FBloggs View Post
                        Cheers Gents.
                        I'll continue to fiddle with the clutch module/switch.
                        Did you ever resolve this? I'm having an intermittent starting issue that seems to be resolved when I move the gear lever around while starting, wondering it's related to the gear identification switch.

Comment

Originally posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post

Did you ever resolve this? I'm having an intermittent starting issue that seems to be resolved when I move the gear lever around while starting, wondering it's related to the gear identification switch.
                          Either the switch or the roller pin under it that activates it. I think it's high chance the roller pin is damaged and not the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post

Either the switch or the roller pin under it that activates it. I think it's high chance the roller pin is damaged and not the switch.
                            Do you know if the “roller pin” is included with the below part, or is it separate?

Comment

Originally posted by EYEHAVEYOU View Post

Do you know if the “roller pin” is included with the below part, or is it separate?

From realoem, parts 8,9,10,11 are what gets installed into the tapped hole.

ECS link is only for the sensor itself, which is part 11 on realoem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Youtube DIYs and more

All jobs done as diy - clutch, rod bearings, rear subframe rebush, vanos, headers, cooling, suspension, etc.

PM for help in NorCal. Have a lot of specialty tools - vanos, pilot bearing puller, bushing press kit, valve adjustment, fcab, wheel bearing, engine support bar, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X