Intermittent no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent no start

This weekend while at the track my car had a intermittent no start issue pop up. When I arrived at the track the car fired up no problem and I backed it off the trailer, let it warm up a bit and the turned it off. Got in it for the first session and it fired up no problem. When I got in for the second session the car would not crank. With the key on all the gauges came up and I could hear the fuel pump turn on but no starter. nothing, not even a click. I pulled the battery cable in the trunk and let it sit for a few minutes. With the cable re attached it started again. Third session, no start. I tried disconnecting the battery again but that didn't work. For the rest of the day I just bump started the car so I didn't lose any more track time. For the final session of the day I got in the car and it started no problem. Basically its totally random when it decides to start or not.

I have two keys, same problem with both so I know its not the key. Starter runs great, when it runs. I'm thinking clutch switch possibly and will try bypassing that to eliminate it. Any other thoughts?

Have you done any engine bay work recently and disconnected the positive battery terminal on the passenger side of the car? Mine wasn't fully tightened and the car wouldn't start intermittently. I torqued it down and immediately went from a no-crank no-start to firing right up.
    2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

thanks for the suggestion. I will verify the connection tonight.

Comment

When mine popped up it had all the same symptoms you have here, for a month I couldn't nail it down. It could be clutch switch and the bypass is an easy test. Mine ended up being a quick replacement of the ignition switch, so far so good!
        2005 6MT Coupe Mystic Blue

Comment

another good point. I ordered a switch since they are only about $30 delivered.

Comment

I was advised to look for 12v at pin 4(black/blue wire) of the clutch module(2004 production) with the clutch pedal depressed and the ign switch at position 2.

Comment

Sounds similar to the random no start shenanigans I had to deal with last year. Checked ground strap, and replacing battery and alternator didn’t fix it. Ultimately it was the starter and no issues since.
              E46 M3 Coupe - 09/04 Production, 103k miles, Black/Black, 6MT swap, AS 0% kit, BBS RG-R + AS4’s, CSL flash, Karbonius airbox, Euro header + Section 1, Koni Yellow, Xtrons, SAP Delete, lockdowns complete

Comment

How old is the starter? Mine would work when cold and slight warm. But full hot it would not.
                Replaced in and no more issues. Other than the fuel sender pump now

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I cant say how old the start is. Could be original for all I know. 2001 with 127K on the clock. I'm hoping the ignition switch or clutch switch (which haven't arrived yet) fix the issue but if not I will look at the starter.

Comment

Fuel pump. Get OE.
                    Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

Originally posted by 02_lsb View Post
                      Fuel pump. Get OE.
                      Wouldn't a bad fuel pump still crank?
                      2005 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Imola Red 6MT

Comment

Originally posted by MTiz View Post

Wouldn't a bad fuel pump still crank?
                        Mine did. I’d say every third time, the car wouldn’t start. I changed the fuel pump, it hasn’t been an issue since.

Just some old shitty cars.

Comment

When it failed to crank, check the EWS pins:

pin2 should have 12v with key turned to crank. If not check ignition switch.
                          pin1 should have 12 with key turned to crank. If not then either either key RF communications issue or bad EWS internal relay.

Comment

I had an intermittent no start due to a loose positive cable connection on my alternator. Check that it's tightened.

Comment

Originally posted by toy4to View Post
                              I had an intermittent no start due to a loose positive cable connection on my alternator. Check that it's tightened.
                              thank you for the advice. I did replace the alternator about 2 years ago. Perhaps the cable has loosened.

Comment

Working...
                              X