Do I make a bad combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I make a bad combo?

I just replaced the front brakes with StopTech drilled/slotted and Hawk HPS. I know...some don't like the HPS but I've had them before, granted it was paired with the OEM rotors, and they worked fine and never squealed. I have 6 cars so I've bedded pads numerous times. I've lubed every crevice, twice!...but it still squeals. I only have less than 200 miles on them. After they heat up, when applying the brakes, the high-pitched squealing begins. If I keep constant pressure or apply more pressure until I come to a complete stop, it just produces the high-pitched screech. The worst sound is generated if I reduce the pressure just about when the car comes to a complete halt, I get a loud groaning moan! It's embarrassing at stoplights. So I've learned to just come to the stoplight like your approaching Turn 1 at a track and make my braking point so deep, just to reduce the squeal.
    17 iO1 i3
    16 F22 M235i
    08 E93 M3
    04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

It's the pads bro. They bads.
    2004 BMW ///M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon 6MT
    2005 BMW ///M3
    Interlagos Blue/Black 6MT Dinan S3-R

2008 BMW ///M3 Alpine White/Bamboo/6MT Track Build
    2000 BMW ///M5 Royal Red/Extended Caramel 6MT
    2004 BMW X5 Toledo Blue/Sand Beige 6MT
    2023 Toyota Supra //A91-MT CULG/Hazelnut 6MT

Instagram

Comment

Sounds like the pad is vibrating against the disc causing the squealing noise. Maybe the anti-rattle clip, assuming stock calipers, is no longer dampening the noise or something is defective with the pad/backing plate. That setup should not make noise during normal street driving.

Comment

I would tell you that HPS pads are the suck, but....

Just don't go near a track with them.

Comment

Downshift?

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post
            Sounds like the pad is vibrating against the disc causing the squealing noise. Maybe the anti-rattle clip, assuming stock calipers, is no longer dampening the noise or something is defective with the pad/backing plate. That setup should not make noise during normal street driving.
            I have a suspicion it might be one of the driver-side caliper guide bolts. The wear on the pads I uninstalled was uneven - the inside driver-side was the thinnest out of all 4 of them.

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post
            Downshift?
            I'd rather stand on the brakes 10 feet from the pedestrian crossing
            17 iO1 i3
            16 F22 M235i
            08 E93 M3
            04 E46 M3 Carbon Schwarz - SMG II - Discovery Automotive tuned - AFE Stage 2 - SS Stepped - SS Metallic Cats - Eisenmann X-pipe - SS Race - 4.10 - ACS CF lip - 6000K Heads & Fogs - Tein S

Comment

Since it only happens when the pads heat up I think you know the issue is the pads.

Comment

Originally posted by eacmen View Post
                Since it only happens when the pads heat up I think you know the issue is the pads.
                Thx! What do y'all recommend I pair with the StopTech's (12033) I got?
                17 iO1 i3
                16 F22 M235i
                08 E93 M3

Comment

Ha. I just got HPS + drilled rotors all around and have this same issue. Anti-squeal on everything, get a bit of heat in them and they squeal. Same issue with brake pressue affecting it too.

Still happier with them than the ceramic pads that came on my car.

Comment

Hawk must have changed the compound cause the old HPS pads did not make any noise. Are these the HPS 5.0 pads?

Comment

I use HPS on M3 and 930. Both squeal, perfectly normal when they have some temp in them. Excellent for street. I’ve also run both of these cars on the track with the HPS, Just have to drive to your pads. You can’t drive these pads like a pure track pad.

Edit: Sorry, I just checked, I used HP Plus not HPS. I have no idea if the HPS should squeal, but the HP+ do.
                      Last edited by Flat-Six; 05-04-2021, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Hawk must have changed the compound cause the old HPS pads did not make any noise. Are these the HPS 5.0 pads?
                        From FCP Euro = SKU: HAW-HB464N764
                        17 iO1 i3
                        16 F22 M235i
                        08 E93 M3

Comment

Originally posted by Da Jemster View Post

From FCP Euro = SKU: HAW-HB464N764
                          Unfortunately, those are the HP+ pads. Those are slightly autox/track bias and will make a good amount of noise.

The HPS pads are different -

BMW HPS Brake Pad Set - Hawk HB464F.764
                          BMW HPS Brake Pad Set - Hawk HB518F.642

HPS 5.0 are the newer version -

BMW HPS 5.0 Brake Pad Set - Hawk HB624B.642

Comment

I have these pads on mine. The boxes had different bedding-in procedures. I went the distance and did rears, broke them in. Then did fronts. Broke them in according to the directions (this is on OEM CSL front and OEM rear). Let me tell you...These Mothers squeal! You cant get around it. This is how they are. I drove them hard at thunderhill last weekend. They performed well. Even made noise on the track when hot. I am going to install another brand after these are worn. For what its worth, they took abuse. I have about 70% remaining after 1500 miles and one track day. No rear fade noticed at all during my sessions.

Comment

Unfortunately, those are the HP+ pads....
                              The HPS pads are different -

BMW HPS Brake Pad Set - Hawk HB464F.764
                              Slideways Got these on and much quieter! Thx a lot!
                              Last edited by Da Jemster; 08-03-2021, 10:51 PM.
                              17 iO1 i3
                              16 F22 M235i
                              08 E93 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X