Loud clicking noise from driveline and only when decelerating / no codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loud clicking noise from driveline and only when decelerating / no codes

85K mile SMG never driven hard. recent reseal of rear differential along with carrier bushings by a reputable shop. recently developed a loud intermittent clicking noise from the driveline and only when decelerating. no codes. engine runs normally. the noise is like baseball cards on bicycle wheel spokes (did this as a kid). have not had a chance to get under the car to pinpoint it.
    Last edited by M3 Driver; 05-02-2021, 10:19 AM.

I've finally got my recent E46M build (https://nam3forum.com/forums/forum/main-forum/member-build-journals/47408-robs-e46m-rosso-corsa-street-build) back on the road and really enjoying it. Unfortunately I have one minor gremlin I can't seem to track down. There is a very consistent clicking noise that seems like it is coming

I remember this thread but yours only occurring when decelerating is different.
    3.91 | CMP Subframe & RTAB Bushings | SMG (Relocated & Rebuilt) | ESS Gen 3 Supercharger | Redish | Beisan | GC Coilovers & ARCAs | Imola Interior | RE Rasp | RE Diablo | Storm Motorwerks Paddles | Will ZCPM3 Shift Knob | Apex ARC-8 19x9, 19x9.5 | Sony XAV-AX5000 | BAVSOUND | CSL & 255 SMG Upgrades | Tiag | Vert w/Hardtop

Comment

A buddy of mine had this only when decelerating and it turned out to be a pin in his flywheel had come loose and was tapping against the ribs on the transmission housing. It only happened during certain deceleration events because it would allow the pin to jiggle forward.

Comment

I had a similar problem. When decelerating between 30 an 10 mph i would hear a clicking noise from the center of the car. clutch in or out, break applied or not, made no difference. The problem turned out to be the center support for the drive shaft. The rubber around the bushing/bearing had rotted. the other symptom it had was on acceleration from a stop you could feel a slight vibration like small bumps in the road. the vibration was about the same frequency as the clicking. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have this similar problem and I thought it was my subframe going out but it’s still intact. Only when I let go of throttle the clicking will begin, mostly low speeds. Can’t wait for an update so I can check out my car as well.

Comment

I think it could be a bad center support bearing as well.

Comment

i should add that the clicking is linear with the speed of the car and slows as it slows.

Thanks for the replies. The guibo and the half shafts are suspect. Also rear wheel bearings. i am betting on the guibo based vibration detected from the drivers seat.

It is too coincidental that the differential was resealed just 750 miles ago (not driving much during pandemic).

Comment

Agreed, the guibo is the first item I would inspect.
                6MT SLICKTOP - OE CSL Wheels - OE CSL Brakes - CSL Rack - CSL Trunk - CSL Diffuser - AA Tune - AA Pulleys- AS 40% SSK - 4.10 Motorsport Diff - Bilstein PSS9s - H&R Swaybars - CSL Lip - Gruppe M CF Intake - Supersprint - M Track Mode

Comment

update - I got lucky. it was a slightly bent exhaust heatshield. i dont know how it got bent but the earlier differential re-seal is suspect.

Comment

Working...
                  X