Are tubular control arms worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are tubular control arms worth it?

Is anybody running them? Were they worth it?

Originally posted by shibui View Post
    Is anybody running them? Were they worth it?
    One of my stock control arms broke at Mid-Ohio, prompting me to look at the tubular control arms. Ultimately I went with Bimmerworld's (https://www.bimmerworld.com/E46-M3-R...trol-Arms.html) race control arms after chatting extensively with racers David McKee and Brad Perkins (Chicane Motorsports in KC). I sent my uprights to Bimmerworld for the necessary modification (drilling and welding - $250).

The install was straight forward. One bolt hole on each side of the aluminum under panel had to be opened up slightly. Make sure you get the B-World front control arm bushings as their tubular arms don't work with stock FCAB. One thing I feel makes the B-World set up better is the lateral loads are on the welded-on cone (welding modification I mentioned above), not on the 14mm grade 12.9 mounting bolt. This 14mm bolt can also be easily replaced as part of annual maintenance.

Since the hubs were off, I sprung for Core 4 Motorsports front hubs with press-in style MSI studs (https://www.core4motorsports.com/pro...hub-conversion).

What the Bimmerworld control arms did was FINALLY dial out the last bit of understeer on my M3 race car. It sticks like fly-paper all the way through the corners. No more mid-corner push. For me it was well worth it. Feel free to contact me if you need any more input.

Feff
    MVP Track Time

Comment

Originally posted by Feffman View Post
      One of my stock control arms broke at Mid-Ohio
      Holy crap, do you have a picture of the broken arm?

Comment

Originally posted by elbert View Post

Holy crap, do you have a picture of the broken arm?
        I don't. It was the ball joint on the passenger side control arm that broke.
        MVP Track Time

Comment

Working...
        X