which head gasket should i use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which head gasket should i use?

hi guys. i'm rebuilding my motor and got today the block and head back. 0,2mm where removed on the head and 0,1mm on the block. so all together 0,3mm. std head gasket is 0,64mm and cometic has 0,91 and 1,02mm head gaskets. and a four week delivery time . i also have new JE 87,5mm pistons and dbilas 288/280 cams - 12,75/12,5mm. and i got an Athena cut ring gasket in hand which is 1,2mm thick. soooo what should I do?
    2003 AW/BLK 6MT - Instagram

Originally posted by Zekarus View Post
    hi guys. i'm rebuilding my motor and got today the block and head back. 0,2mm where removed on the head and 0,1mm on the block. so all together 0,3mm. std head gasket is 0,64mm and cometic has 0,91 and 1,02mm head gaskets. and a four week delivery time . i also have new JE 87,5mm pistons and dbilas 288/280 cams - 12,75/12,5mm. and i got an Athena cut ring gasket in hand which is 1,2mm thick. soooo what should I do?
    Are you staying NA or going FI? If you're staying NA, why not just go w/a factory (Elring) headgasket, and enjoy a slight compression bump...assuming your PTV clearance is ok.
    Last edited by stash1; 05-06-2021, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Staying NA and yeah right thanks that's an option too. PTV should be okay according to the cam spec sheet I guess?

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210505_225327953.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	103173

Comment

Staying NA and yeah right thanks that's an option too. PTV should be okay according to the cam spec sheet I guess?

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210505_225327953.jpg Views:	0 Size:	81.3 KB ID:	103173
        I believe that the spec sheet is just pointing out the recommended PTV clearance...I'm assuming that either you and/or the machine shop checked that during assembly?
        Last edited by stash1; 05-06-2021, 08:09 AM.

Comment

yeah seems you are right. machine shop just got the block and head separately to machine both and bore the block. he just recommended to use a thicker gasket if possible. is it enough to check the clearance with kneat and a correct timed motor? waiting four weeks is right now not an option or i'm going to use the athena gasket. first complete motor overhaul for me. 😅
          Last edited by Zekarus; 05-09-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

I used a cosmetic gasket in my recent rebuild. As far as thickness your machine shop should easily be able to figure this one out.

Comment

yeah seems you are right. machine shop just got the block and head separately to machine both and bore the block. he just recommended to use a thicker gasket if possible. is it enough to check the clearance with kneat and a correct timed motor? waiting four weeks is right now not an option or i'm going to use the athena gasket. first complete motor overhaul for me. 😅
              Can you not get the stock Elring gasket from an OEM supplier sooner than 4 weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by Slideways View Post

Can you not get the stock Elring gasket from an OEM supplier sooner than 4 weeks?
                Got one in hand. These four weeks are for a cometic gasket

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a mit Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure I follow what “kneat” means? Either you or the machine shop needs to check the motor for PTV clearance...just saying to run a thicker head gasket because you’re not sure is lazy and a cop out. Why would you/anyone want to run a thicker HG (and lower comp.) if you don’t need to!?

Comment

Anyone know the OEM thickness? Is it .030”? I’ve heard conflicting answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Randall921 View Post
                      Anyone know the OEM thickness? Is it .030”? I’ve heard conflicting answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Yerp

Comment

no it's 0.64mm and thats around .025" it's part number four

Comment

Can you use a stock head gasket with 87.5mm pistons?

Comment

Originally posted by Randall921 View Post

Can you use a stock head gasket with 87.5mm pistons?
                            I missed the bit about increasing bore size. Probably have to go with aftermarket then.

Comment

I missed the bit about increasing bore size. Probably have to go with aftermarket then.
                              Got it. In the same boat as OP and trying to figure out what's best. I haven't found a viable alternative to Cometic and their backorder.

Comment

Working...
                              X