No announcement yet.

Dent in carbon fiber roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where is the dent located?? Maybe the support roof bar by the B pillar is dented holding the carbon down? Does seem odd carbon would dent and not bounce back.

just pull the inner liner out and pop the dent out from inside out🤷🏻‍♂️ That’s probably all you can do for it.

Comment

Originally posted by NZ_M3 View Post
      where is the dent located?? Maybe the support roof bar by the B pillar is dented holding the carbon down? Does seem odd carbon would dent and not bounce back.

just pull the inner liner out and pop the dent out from inside out🤷🏻‍♂️ That’s probably all you can do for it.
      Hmmm. That actually makes sense. It’s on a car I want to buy that is otherwise super clean which is the only reason I’m still considering it (if we come to a good price and the ppi checks out) which is also why I can’t tinker with it more. Didn’t have time to call anyone today for a quote either.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

Hmmm. That actually makes sense. It’s on a car I want to buy that is otherwise super clean which is the only reason I’m still considering it (if we come to a good price and the ppi checks out) which is also why I can’t tinker with it more. Didn’t have time to call anyone today for a quote either.
        These details are important. I'd make the assertion its not a true CF roof and just a layover that has been adhered to a preexisting roof. CF doesn't doesn't dent, it cracks or shatters

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post

These details are important. I'd make the assertion its not a true CF roof and just a layover that has been adhered to a preexisting roof. CF doesn't doesn't dent, it cracks or shatters
          That was my initial thought as well, but wrote it off because I assumed the car belong to the OP (so he'd know).

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post

exactly this. most likely a CF wrap over sheet metal. CF doesn't "dent"

Comment

I think the gang solved the mystery. It's funny because I had originally wrote that I've never heard of cf denting.
              2003.5 MT JB/B - CSL SCHRICK SUPERSPRINT EISENMANN JRZ SWIFT MILLWAY APR ENDLESS BBS/SSR DREXLER KMP SACHS RECARO AR SLON MKRS GSP DMG KARBONIUS CP AUTOSOLUTIONS KOYO

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

That was my initial thought as well, but wrote it off because I assumed the car belong to the OP (so he'd know).
                It's an M6. So carbon factory roof on all models if im not mistaken.

Comment

Post his socials so we can be super polite and not rude at all to him.
                  http://www.natehasslerphoto.com
                  '99 M3, Hellrot/Sand Beige, slicktop
                  '01 M3, Imola/black

Comment

Alright, I know everyone is in disbelief (myself included) hat there is a dented carbon roof floating around so here is a poto. Only thing I can think of is A, a metal support is also bent under heath as another poster mentioned or B, the roof is a. Carbon fiber hybrid. Click image for larger version

Name:	cfeb425a-6290-45de-be3d-ad2e017a2f78.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	106334

Comment

Is it possible that it’s just warped?

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post
                        Is it possible that it’s just warped?
                        How do you mean?

Comment

Just the way the picture looks. Probably 2d distortion with the curvature of the roof, but the reflection in the panel looks warped. I think I see the dent between the 2 reflections of windows. Then the reflection of kinda horizontal lines looks wavy

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post
                            Just the way the picture looks. Probably 2d distortion with the curvature of the roof, but the reflection in the panel looks warped. I think I see the dent between the 2 reflections of windows. Then the reflection of kinda horizontal lines looks wavy
                            yeah it looks just like if a knee was pushed into it. Its shallow and hard to capture in the photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post

yeah it looks just like if a knee was pushed into it. Its shallow and hard to capture in the photos.
                              Then the theory of the metal it’s attached too is bent is most likely.

Comment

Fwiw carbon can dent/distort, a CF wing I built accumulated a bunch of ripples on a very hot day. But that carbon was really, really thin (2 layers of 200 GSM twill) and it was starting to debond from the foam core

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X