Dent in carbon fiber roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
    Alright, I know everyone is in disbelief (myself included) hat there is a dented carbon roof floating around so here is a poto. Only thing I can think of is A, a metal support is also bent under heath as another poster mentioned or B, the roof is a. Carbon fiber hybrid. Click image for larger version

Name:	cfeb425a-6290-45de-be3d-ad2e017a2f78.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	106334
    This is a bit like where’s Waldo eh? I can see what I *think is the area of distortion and from the photo and I’d bet you can either see fiber shear on the underside, or if there is a core (which I don’t think there is), it has been damaged or unbonded, otherwise it would have “sprung” back or held its original shape.

Comment

Damn. This is looking like a bigger deal than i wanted. Car is so clean otherwise. Think im gonna cancel the ppi.

Comment

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
        Damn. This is looking like a bigger deal than i wanted. Car is so clean otherwise. Think im gonna cancel the ppi.
        Depends on the price of vehicle I suppose. Not the end of the world, the clear coat on those typically fails in spectacular fashion anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by fattycharged View Post

Depends on the price of vehicle I suppose. Not the end of the world, the clear coat on those typically fails in spectacular fashion anyways.
          Yeah . its a decent price and clean. Just I'm worried since it is a structural piece you know. Gonna go look at it again today. 73k, no accidents, under 20k. Needs new shock on roght side, small leak.

Comment

the post/thread is so weird, when you first posted you made it sound like it like it as your car (not intentionally but not stating up front the car isnt yours)... it was weird that as people kept suggesting to out the guy or get him to pay, you didnt really respond to those. and now it seems you dont own the car you just are interested in possibly purchasing it and getting a PPI on it. talk about a confusing post lol

you should be posting or asking this on M6 forums since they would be much more well versed in OEM M6 CF roofs, how they are bonded and what they look like underneath.

the only way to know for sure is to drop the headliner and see where that dent area is. if its near the roof bow in those cars (not sure if the even have roof bows on M6s) then the roof bow may be bent holding the dent in place from popping back out in any event you cant tell anything from the top side with out dropping the headliner for sure and no PPI is going to do that.

weird overall post/topic in general.

Comment

Yeah I didnt think that detail was particularly important. I know a ppi wont figure out the roof. M6 forums are dead and more people here have experience installing carbon roofs so I thought id ask. Mods can delete it of they want .

Comment

Working...
              X