Supersprint and drone and rasp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supersprint and drone and rasp

With the supersprint GB going on, I have a question about drone. I think I remember obioban saying there was no drone with the street muffler and the resonated section 2 would prevent my car from sounding like a jet ski. Would that also apply to the sport muffler?
    I’m planning on getting SSv2 headers with catted section 1, resonated section 2, and trying to decide on either the street or the sport.

I currently have unknown catless headers, stock sec 1 and 2 and Megan racing muffler. It sounds amazing above 4000 rpms but is waaayy too loud 80 % of the time. My friend can hear the car coming up the canyon from more than a couple of miles away. It also drones and stinks. Any help would be appreciated.

Ultimately, I’d like no drone, a deep throaty sound when in the high rpms, and a more civilized sound output with lower rpm. so I don’t have to bog the engine when driving past the trooper’s and the sheriff’s homes in my neighborhood.

THANKS

That is THE question with the S54 and these aftermarket exhausts. More sound from headers seems the clear answer. After that, it gets murky. If you can deepen it and kill the rasp, that seems like the way to go. But opinions vary widely on exactly how to do that, and part of that variance is FI v not, Track v not, etc.

maw

Comment

I have a full supersprint exhaust, headers, race cats, resonated section 2 and sport muffler. Zero drone, zero rasp. I highly recommend this setup.
      Last edited by Thonas; 05-18-2021, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I have SSV1, SS Catted sec 1, 60mm res x pipe, and race muffler and feel like drone is still minimal, but everyone has different tolerance levels. I don't do a lot of highway driving.

If you're local and want to hear the setup we could probably meet up sometime.

Comment

The sport (and race) drones.

If you’re doing the section 1 either way, you should really go V1. The ONLY benefit of the V2s is that they work with normal section 1s. Otherwise, worse.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
          2012 LMB/Black 128i
          2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

I personally love my setup but its a mixture of a bunch of different parts from different manufacturers. I currently run euro headers (catless), dual resonated section 1, supersprint resonated x-pipe, and a rogue engineering el diablo section 3. There is still a tiny bit of drone I get from 2500-3000 rpm. I previous had a stock sec 1 with only 1 resonator that has significantly louder drone across more of the rom band. To me, this is the perfect sound level because I can still drive in a fairly quiet cabin at highway speeds (avoiding the drone rpms band). This is perfect because I can easily have conversations with a passenger or drive long distances without giving myself headaches. Once you get above 4000 rpm, the sound comes alive. The videos below can give you a decent idea of the sound level. The second link is of a review inside my car, so you can tell what type of sound level is in the cabin at normal cruising speeds.

Sound clip of my second attempt at an exhaust setup for my 2005 BMW M3. I don’t see myself changing it from here.OEM Euro HeadersDual OEM Section 1 Resonator...

In this video I get some serious seat time with the E46 M3. The current owner has a great example and I think it's proper with the 6 speed manual.Check out ...

You can't do anything about the stink unless you get cats. Best option there is a euro style cat setup in section 1. I'm not sure how that changes the sound though.
            2005 ///M3 6MT Coupe Imola/M-Texture

Build Thread

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post
              I have a full supersprint exhaust, headers, race cats, resonated section 2 and sport muffler. Zero drone, zero rasp. I highly recommend this setup.
              You have any sound clips available for your setup?

Comment

My SS Sport did not drone either with stock headers and Borla mid section. With SSV1, SS noncat sect1 stock sect2 it drones, and rasp.

Comment

Originally posted by wahsm View Post

You have any sound clips available for your setup?
                  Here is a recent video on the dyno at Kassel.

Comment

I had a ton of drone with my V1s, catted section 1, oem sec 2, and race muffler. I also have drone with the same setup but with a Dinan muffler, which isn't supposed to drone 🙃.

Comment

I have 63.5 SS Headers>SS Cats>SS Resonated Section 2>SS Sport Muffler Gen 2.

I respectfully disagree that this setup creates no drone. There is definitely drone. I’m replacing the brakes this weekend and will record after a bed-in cool down. 55-85 miles an hour there is drone. The recording will come with a caveat that the car is stripped, but I could argue that gives you a better understanding of the exhaust characteristics. Rasp is largely eliminated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      2006 ///M3 6MT Coupe Jet Black Track Car
                      [Karbonius] [MCS 2WNR] [Zionsville] [ [SPAL] [Ground Control] [Beisan] [Rogue Engineering] [Vorshlag] [Redish] [CMP] [Bimmerworld] [Kassel] [TTFS] [Apex] [TMS Sways] [Buildjournal] [Radium] [Ultimate Pedals] [OMP Seats/Harnesses] [UUC SSK] [Custom Cage] [Supersprint] [Carbontastic] [MEC CSL Diffuser] [Trackspec] [Street Faction] [Condor] [Hard Motorsports] [AiM] [Maintenance] [Ask me about products and exact weight of front end components]

Comment

Originally posted by Thonas View Post
                        This is what I wanted to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post
                          The sport (and race) drones.

If you’re doing the section 1 either way, you should really go V1. The ONLY benefit of the V2s is that they work with normal section 1s. Otherwise, worse.
                          This is not what I wanted to hear.

I decided to do the v2 based on “Up to 300whp: 60mm kit, 300 to 400whp: 63.5mm kit. Resonators highly recommended to limit drone.” The cats have always been my main goal, and spending 5g’s on an exhaust is a bit excessive. With that said, If I were to decide to sell the supersprint system, I can still keep the cats. Basically it allows for more flexibility and I don’t ever see myself searching for more hp to really allow the v1 to shine.

Comment

Originally posted by Rkymtnrider View Post

This is not what I wanted to hear.

I decided to do the v2 based on “Up to 300whp: 60mm kit, 300 to 400whp: 63.5mm kit. Resonators highly recommended to limit drone.” The cats have always been my main goal, and spending 5g’s on an exhaust is a bit excessive. With that said, If I were to decide to sell the supersprint system, I can still keep the cats. Basically it allows for more flexibility and I don’t ever see myself searching for more hp to really allow the v1 to shine.
                            That statement is true— you won’t actually get to exploit the way the V1s are better than the v2s below 300rwhp. It’s just… if you own the car long enough, inevitably you’ll be there.

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
                            2012 LMB/Black 128i
                            2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

No drone with Stradale?
                              Old, not obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                              X