SS 63.5 Sec. 2 - will it fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS 63.5 Sec. 2 - will it fit?

After I installed my SSv1/Catted Sec. 1 and joining my factory section 2 to the SS Sec. 1 & my SCZA muffler I had fitment issues with sec. 2.

After all the work I had done I was disappointed to find that the heatsheild on my factory Sec. 2 was touching the output flange on my differential.

To remedy this I removed the Sec. 2 heatshield, spread the rubber pieces that hold the exhaust up on the brace plate apart as well as dropping both brace plates down a bit by shimming with washers.

After all of that my factory section 2 now has maybe 1/4" clearance from the diff. I can press up on Sec. 2 from underneath and cannot get it to make contact with the diff. and I don't hear it banging around while driving so I would seem I just barely got it to work.

Now I am looking into getting the SS dual 63.5 Sec. 2 and would imagine that if my factory Sec. 2 is so close to contacting the diff. this over-sized piece may not work at all. I have an aftermarket muffler as well which plays a large role as far as where Sec. 2 rests, so I understand that my be part or all of my issue.

Does anyone else have any experience with the SS dual 63.5 Sec. 2 with a similar setup and fitment issues? I think I've done all I can just to get my factory Sec. 2 to fit so I simply convinced the over-sized piping will not work.
    2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
    Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
    Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
    RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
    Instagram

FWIW, I just installed SSV1, SS NonCat Sect 1, Stock Sect 2, and SS Sport V2 Muffler. I did not notice clearance issues with the Diff OPF. Regarding differences in our setups, I don't think Cat/NonCat sect1 makes a difference on the clearance of Sect2, as they are both SS, but like you said, could be your muffler. I'll crawl up under when I replace the front tires in the next several days and take a more detailed look.
    Last edited by Flat-Six; 05-20-2021, 05:12 AM.

Comment

As above, FWIW, my setup is supersprint V2 Stepped manifold, status gruppe "rasp eliminator" section 1 & 3" x-pipe un-resonated section 2 (magnaflow 14159 muffler in the x-pipe), and megan racing section 3 (soon to be ss race). My section 2 is a little closer to the diff than the oe section 2; no issues in 5+ years. All aftermarket components seem to be off by a few mm here & there, especially when mixing & matching.

Take audience with the undercarriage and inspect for obvious damage or misalignment

Comment

Likely the SCZA is my issue, I could swap it with the stock muffler to confirm. I had to shim the passenger side of the SCZA almost 1/4" down in order to get the tips to sit flat and also one of the mounting points was bent to shit out of the box.
        I'm pretty sure the SS dual pipe will not work if the factory pipe barely fits w/o the shield. No SS pipes for me I guess.

Instagram

Comment

My SS Sport fitment is very close if not perfect fit compared with stock muffler.
          Last edited by Flat-Six; 05-20-2021, 05:10 AM.

Comment

I'll likely have to shell for a SS Sport muffler if I want a SCZA-like muffler than doesn't run the SS Dual Sec. 2 into the diff.
            Thanks shatus gruppe.

Instagram

Comment

Working...
            X