No announcement yet.

Still amazing after all these years!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchased mine salvage in 2016 w/ 88k. Rebuilding her was just the tip of the iceberg. Between 88k and 100k, did the VANOS, RTAB's, FCAB's, engine mounts, and RSM's. By 100k, had a subframe crack, had that done a long w/ reinforcement plates. By 110k, noticed a pinging/rattling sound that I was ignoring, which turned out to be a head gasket bleeding pressure between cylinders. So in addition to everything above (leaving out dozens of things) I rebuilt the motor over covid. It's basically a new car.

Much like you, I love everything about it. I'm happy to have the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Kdubski View Post
      By 110k, noticed a pinging/rattling sound that I was ignoring, which turned out to be a head gasket bleeding pressure between cylinders.
      What tune?

2005 IR/IR M3 Coupe
      2012 LMB/Black 128i
      2008 Black/Black M5 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Obioban View Post

What tune?
        Stock, stock, stock! I like everything OEM. Noticed some head bolts didn't "pop" when taking off the head. This leads me to believe the head bolts loosened over time.

Comment

16 years of ownership.. The first few years I was like meh... As time went by I started to appreciate it more. I took some time off from the car scene and forums and had my car in storage for almost 3 years while expanding my businesses. Covid came and I had a lot of time on my hands. Somehow I managed to get sucked back in. Now I'm in the middle of an entire restoration and bulletproofing. 71K miles on the clock.

(Knock on wood) only issues were:
          Camshaft position sensor. (2007)
          Crankshaft position sensor (2007)
          One bad ignition coil so I replaced all of them with eldor coils and NGK plugs.

Convertible top problems - a shit load of them!.

I went through 3 hydraulic pumps in 16 years. I kept buying them used for cheap and they kept crapping out.

I took my car to a friend of a friend who works for BMW and had basically everything changed at the dealer since I had a bunch of issues and hydraulic leaks.

New headlier (c pillar broke and ripped old headliner)
          New C pillar "batwings"
          Bosch convertible flap motor under seat
          Metal plate covering the motor which replaces factory defective plastic cover
          Extended lines 23 and 24 - tophydraulics.com
          Bulletproof hydraulic pump - tophydraulics.com
          Hall sensor
          Both driver and passenger side flaps and hardtop installation covers replaced.
          Both front latches replaced and internals rebuilt.

The car is running very smooth now and the top works great. No more hydraulic fluid on my floor, no more tapping under the back seat, and it definitely goes up/down a lot faster.

Next on deck:
          Ive collected parts since the beginning of covid.
          Im going to be doing the big 3 along with a cooling system overhaul and all suspension bushings along with control arms and new diff cover.

Comment

Working...
          X