S54 knocking after headgasket replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 knocking after headgasket replacement

Need some help before I start diving in.

Replaced headgasket, rebuilt vanos. Did new seals, bolts, pump disc and solenoid pack. Also did s62 springs, only thing I did not touch were the rattle kits.

New headgasket, arp bolts, all gaskets on the way. Rod bearings done 5k ago. Injectors cleaned, valves adjusted.

Headgasket was replaced due to bent valves. Had 2 valves replaced. New waterpump and installed the Turner power pulley kit.

After startup notice a slight knocking or tapping noise. Very slight at idle. Almost non existant. Once you start revving past 1500-2000 it gets really loud. Gets louder up to 3k, haven't pushed it past 3k to see if it goes away.

Won't be able to get the car on a lift for a little bit. Listening to it off the ground it does sound like it's coming from the pan area. Could be leaking from the exhaust but I don't smell anything. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be before I take it into a shop to get it on a lift.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

Post a sound video might help, as everyone hears engine knocking noise differently.
    I don't think the vanos anti-rattle or not has anything to do with this. BTW, no need to do anti-rattle unless you can tell if the shafts have axial plays.

Comment

Originally posted by Lukem3 View Post
      Need some help before I start diving in.

Replaced headgasket, rebuilt vanos. Did new seals, bolts, pump disc and solenoid pack. Also did s62 springs, only thing I did not touch were the rattle kits.

New headgasket, arp bolts, all gaskets on the way. Rod bearings done 5k ago. Injectors cleaned, valves adjusted.

Headgasket was replaced due to bent valves. Had 2 valves replaced. New waterpump and installed the Turner power pulley kit.

After startup notice a slight knocking or tapping noise. Very slight at idle. Almost non existant. Once you start revving past 1500-2000 it gets really loud. Gets louder up to 3k, haven't pushed it past 3k to see if it goes away.

Won't be able to get the car on a lift for a little bit. Listening to it off the ground it does sound like it's coming from the pan area. Could be leaking from the exhaust but I don't smell anything. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be before I take it into a shop to get it on a lift.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk
      I was chasing a similar noise once and it turned it out was the heatshield rattling against the headers. Turned out I bent it when trying to get that frustrating oil drain banjo bolt into the head.

Comment

Working...
      X