Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW Performance Stainless Steel Pedals (335is Pedals)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: BMW Performance Stainless Steel Pedals (335is Pedals)

Reposting my DIY from the original forum

Just a quick DIY.

I've been running the BMW Aluminum Pedals in my E46 for a while. I liked the look back then, but lately they've been looking too busy to me, and they've worn down a bit, so I wanted something more subtle while still looking a little nicer than stock.

335is came with pedals that had stainless trim. Design wise they're somewhat similar to Porsche pedals. There's a retrofit kit, but it doesn't fit the E46. The problem is the gas pedal: Instead of being a cover that sticks onto the stock pedal, BMW opted to just replace the whole pedal, and the newer BMW pedals mount differently than the E46, so the kit doesn't work on E46s as is.

Thankfully the internals to the pedals are pretty much identical. So we can just swap the actual pedal portion from the new housing to the old.

Requirements:
    "T10" 5-pointed security Torx bits

Manual:
    35000410099 - Includes 1 manual gas pedal, and 2 clutch / brake pedal covers

Automatic / SSG (non-Ms):
    35000410100 - Includes 1 automatic gas pedal, and 1 automatic (wide) brake pedal cover

M3 SMGII:
    35426791473 - Automatic gas pedal
    35216771328 - Manual Brake pedal (narrow)
    (There's no SMG-specific kit - price wise piecing the above two items together is about the same cost as the kits).

Step 1: Remove the gas pedal from your car. Lots of DIYs for this online

Step 2: Remove the 6 security screws from the side of your gas pedal. You should be greeted with the below

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2245.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	11445

Step 3: Unclip the spring from the bottom, and then lift the spring/pulley assembly out of the housing

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2246.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.5 KB ID:	11444

Step 4: At the base of the pedal, pull back on the tab here, and slide the pedal out (note: Be careful, as you can see I broke my tab)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2247.jpg Views:	0 Size:	218.6 KB ID:	11441

If you do break the tab like I did, it's not the end of the world. There's enough friction holding the pedal in place that it'll never be a real issue.

Optional Step 5 (not pictured): Remove the potentiometer from the side of the throttle housing using the same security torx bit

Grab your new pedal out of your kit, and disassemble it to the same state. I didn't take pictures because it's virtually identical to the E46 pedal.

Assembly is reverse of disassembly: Slide the base of the pedal into the housing, put the pulley/spring assembly back in the housing, close it up, install the sensor from the new pedal if you want.

Install in the car.

Brake/clutch pedal covers install the same as the newer BMWs. In theory they slip on. In practice it's a bit of a pain in the ass. Dousing the inside of the covers in rubbing alcohol helps them slip on a bit easier. Be careful to not separate the rubber from the stainless insert. It will go back together, but very painfully.

Final result:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2252.jpg Views:	0 Size:	455.5 KB ID:	11443

I like the subtle look, and I think it goes well with the factory M dead pedal. All in all fairly reasonably priced kit (around $120) considering that you basically get a new gas pedal out of it.
Working...
X