Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is My Transmission Toast? Unidentifiable Vibration Coming Through Shifter

Hi All,

Since my 6MT conversion, there has been an annoying vibration coming through the shifter, particularly pronounced when in 3rd and 4th gear. It is worse under load and makes the shifter vibrate both visibly and audibly. At first, I thought it might be the guibo, but after replacing that, the problem remained.

So, I finally just decided to take it to a shop. They put it on a lift, drove the car in 4th gear, and saw nothing external to the transmission that could be causing the vibration, meaning the only possibility is coming from inside the transmission.

That caught me a bit off guard, as it doesn't really seem like something that I could have screwed up during the conversion, just because there really isn't that much that could have gone wrong. The mechanic's only idea was that the PO was doing a bit too much flatfoot shifting while it was still an SMG, and at this point to drive it till it dies and then replace it.

I just wanted to gather some opinions and see if anybody has experienced anything similar. If there are any SMG conversion gurus around here, I'd love to hear your opinion about what might be going wrong. Any thoughts?

I will try to attach a video of what it looks like in the cabin when I get a chance. Thanks.
    Last edited by sina; 07-15-2021, 07:27 AM.
    2003.5 ///M3 - Laguna Seca Blue - Black - SMG Delete

Originally posted by sina View Post
    So, I finally just decided to take it to a shop. They put it on a lift, drove the car in 4th gear, and saw nothing external to the transmission that could be causing the vibration, meaning the only possibility is coming from inside the transmission.
    No external vibration and no vibration on the shifter, or it vibrating as when driving on the road? This might not be simulating the same as actual driving.
    Set up a camera or smart phone and shoot some footages of the tranny tail where the shifter entered while driving with the shifter having vibration. This will prove if it is internal or external induced vibration.

The mechanic's only idea was that the PO was doing a bit too much flatfoot shifting while it was still an SMG
    Even this caused the bad synchros but I don't see a way for the damaged synchro to cause vibration to the shift rods via the shift forks. And, you didn't say anything about grinding with bad synchro, so don't take the mechanic too serious.

Question: do you feel the shifter vibrate on the fore/aft direction only, or with left/right also? There is nothing internal that can rotate the shifter left/right, but when the tranny rear end vibrates then the shifter can do left/right vibration.

Comment

It's also possible that the driveshaft itself needs to be balanced.

Comment

Has the center support bearing been replaced and preloaded properly?
        2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duracellttu View Post
          Has the center support bearing been replaced and preloaded properly?
          This is what I'm thinking too. Maybe a u-joint going bad or the rear joint on the driveshaft going bad.

Comment

Is the vibration made better or worse when shifting gears?
            2004 Silbergrau Metallic 6MT
            Karbonius/OEM Snorkel/Flap/HTE Tuned
            Ssv1/Catted Sec. 1/SS 2.5" Sec. 2/SCZA

OE CSL Bootlid/AS SSK/BC Coils/4.10 Gears/ Sportline 8S Wheels/Cobra Nogaros
            RACP Plates/Vincebar/CMP/Turner RTAB/Beisan

2006 M6 Black Saphire SMG
            Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by admranger View Post

This is what I'm thinking too. Maybe a u-joint going bad or the rear joint on the driveshaft going bad.
              Agreed. It’s in the driveshaft somewhere if I had to guess. Work your way down the line…CSB, U-joint, CV joint. Easy enough to check yourself too. Just drop the exhaust and heat shield then start tugging on the driveshaft to look for play.
              2005 BMW M3 ZCP Black/Black - HTE Tuning | Kassel CSL DME | 288/280 Schrick Cams+DLC Followers | Lang Head | Dinan TBs | Bosch 550cc | Radium Fuel System | Karbonious CSL Airbox+OE Snorkel | SS V1 Stepped+Catted Sec 1+Resonated Twin Pipe+Race | 3.91, 3 stage clutch | FCM 400/600 | Vorshlag Camber Plates, RSM | Rogue ASP | AKG FCABs, SFBs | TMS Front Sway, Camber Arms, Monoball RTABs, Pullies | Mason Race Strut + X-Brace | AS 30% SSK | SPAL | Redish Plates | Turbo Toys V2 Hub | WPC Rod Bearings

Comment

Just gonna mention lets not start rumors that SMG ruins transmissions lol. It puts clutch in, matches revs/cuts throttle and engages gear, flat foot or not.
                Last edited by Icecream; 07-14-2021, 05:50 PM.

Comment

I had a vibration above 100mph…was the driveshaft CV. Can’t really blame the gear since it could be between a certain speed and at a particular load. You can replace the CV without balancing the shaft. A used driveshaft could certainly be out of balance as well.

I can get DS rebuilds for $535. But I’d pull the driveshaft and inspect the CV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sapote View Post
                    Question: do you feel the shifter vibrate on the fore/aft direction only, or with left/right also? There is nothing internal that can rotate the shifter left/right, but when the tranny rear end vibrates then the shifter can do left/right vibration.
                    Good question, fore/aft is definitely the most noticeable, but I will take a closer look next time - and hopefully grab a video too.

The CSB is original, and it's likely that I did not preload it properly. Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely look into that next. Would be easy to diagnose as well by seeing if the vibration still exists with the driveshaft disconnected.

Originally posted by Cubieman View Post
                    Is the vibration made better or worse when shifting gears?
                    It is at its worst when it is in gear. 4th being the worst, then 3rd, then by some distance second. If you are in fourth and apply load you don't even have to look at it to know it's vibrating because of the sound it makes.

Originally posted by Icecream View Post
                    Just gonna mention lets not start rumors that SMG ruins transmissions lol. It puts clutch in, matches revs/cuts throttle and engages gear, flat foot or not.
                    This would have surprised me because for everything people flame about SMGs, the one thing that seems to be agreed upon is that whenever they are taken apart that they are in better condition than manual boxes of the same mileage.

Thanks for all the opinions, sounds like a great next step and definitely feels more logical than something in the transmission having broken during the conversion, or during its time as an SMG.

Comment

In addition to checking the center support bearing. You need to take it to someone who's good at diagnosing. If the car doesn't make noise on the lift, then it's causing noise when there's weight on the drivetrain. Inspect everything carefully, maybe 2 or 3 times. It could be as simple as shifter bushings, or shifter carrier not set in properly, or even a heat shield getting in the way. The shifter is hitting something under load so inspect and see what it hits. Is it hitting the bolts on the guibo or something else maybe?

Comment

Hi All,

Since my 6MT conversion, there has been an annoying vibration coming through the shifter, particularly pronounced when in 3rd and 4th gear. It is worse under load and makes the shifter vibrate both visibly and audibly. At first, I thought it might be the guibo, but after replacing that, the problem remained.

That caught me a bit off guard, as it doesn't really seem like something that I could have screwed up during the conversion, just because there really isn't that much that could have gone wrong. The mechanic's only idea was that the PO was doing a bit too much flatfoot shifting while it was still an SMG, and at this point to drive it till it dies and then replace it.

I just wanted to gather some opinions and see if anybody has experienced anything similar. If there are any SMG conversion gurus around here, I'd love to hear your opinion about what might be going wrong. Any thoughts?

I will try to attach a video of what it looks like in the cabin when I get a chance. Thanks.
                        Hey,

did you resolve the issue? I have the exact same problem. Mine is an SmG converted with a CAE shifter.

Comment

Who did you guys buy your bell housings from?

Comment

Originally posted by Seppa View Post

Hey,

did you resolve the issue? I have the exact same problem. Mine is an SmG converted with a CAE shifter.

Unfortunately not. My current living situation doesn't really allow for under car DIY-ing, and the couple of shops I've had take a look weren't able to figure it out either.

Originally posted by tlow98 View Post
                            Who did you guys buy your bell housings from?
                            I bought mine from Kevin.

Comment

I suggest to machine your own BH and not replace it with another one, to avoid input bearing damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X